Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 08:28AM

http://www.epinions.com/review/Jenna_Miscavige_Hill_Beyond_Belief_My_Secret_Life_Inside_Scientology_and_My_Harrowing_Escape_epi/content_613878173316

This book shows that Scientology has some surprising parallels to Mormonism, only on a much larger, weirder scale. Jenna Miscavige Hill was a member of the Sea Org, like her parents and siblings. She is the niece of David Miscavige, who is the current head of Scientology.

I highly recommend this book, if only because it shows how beliefs can be damaging.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 08:52AM

I heard her on the radio the other night, and some of the things about Scientology sounded a lot like mormonism from the 1800's in the hunt-you-down-and-make-your-life-hell-if-you-quit department.

Date: February 27, 2013 09:29AM

Yup. That's pretty much what she wrote in the book. The Sea Org stuff just seems so odd, especially given that we supposedly live in a free society.

They definitely do the shunning like Mormons do... actually, they do it much worse, I think! And don't get caught having an extramarital affair if you're in the Sea Org, even if you haven't seen your spouse in years. You'll end up RPF'd and have to scrub Dumpsters with a toothbrush.

Crazy stuff!

Date: February 27, 2013 03:38PM

Posted by: helenahandbasket ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 07:31PM

I just read "Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood, and the Prison of Belief." It was riveting! I can't believe so many seemingly intelligent people are caught up in this "religion."I hope to read Jenna's book soon.

Date: February 27, 2013 08:43PM

I might read that one next. I have to space reading about religion between books that make me laugh.

Posted by: Cinnamint ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 09:09PM

I'm reading it right now. It is interesting, but, man it takes a long time to get going.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.