Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: jm1chevere ( )
Date: March 05, 2013 06:07PM

Are active members secretly jeleous that we have moved on?

Given how mad, defensive, and downright mean active members (particularly family members) can be towards those of us who have decided to leave the church, one has to wonder why all of the anymosity? What about loving and caring for us? What about the almost instant shunning? I mean, if they are really so worried that we are going to be given a "lesser" kingdom or heaven, you would think that they would want to spend more time with us while in this life!

I have a theory that goes something like this:

Members are trained to shun and believe that there is no true happiness outside the church, so "why is he/she happy being an apostate?" It doesn't compute. I have noticed that for most of us on RfM, there were one or many things cluttering our spiritual shelves for some time before finally leaving. I think that whether it is polygamy, WoW, or whatever, most active members of the church have questions that need answers. Of course the standard line is "we'll find out when we die." Given this heavy shelf of doubts, and the incomprehensible happiness that many apostates enjoy, I wonder if members' negative reaction towards us stems not from a desire to save us, or true disappoinment, but rather jelsously that they secretly wish that they too could go get drunk with the boys, or wear that tank-top in 100 degree weather (minus garments), etc. Instead they are stuck in 3 hour block prison on Sunday while we go to the river. I know that many times I could swear that the most sunny day of the week was Sunday, and I had to do my part and be obedient. Any thoughts?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: iris ( )
Date: March 05, 2013 06:41PM

A former bishop of my ward suggested (resentfully) there is a bigger burden on active members because they have to pick up the slack in ward/stake callings for the inactives. Since I stopped attending three years ago, I love weekends--and I owe it all to not going to church.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: March 05, 2013 06:48PM

If not, they should be. Every minute they spend servicing the beast is a minute of relaxation for us.

Posted by: dk ( )
Date: March 05, 2013 06:52PM

All those happy people not in the church on Sunday are being deceived by Satan. I remember hearing this explanation in church.

Maybe active members are just worried the emperor really does have no clothes?

Posted by: anon for now ( )
Date: March 05, 2013 07:40PM

I think it's cognitive dissonance, more than outright jealousy. Their brains can't comprehend why somebody would be comfortable wearing a tank top in extremely hot weather, or why someone would leave etc. Because they can't comprehend, they react with anger and animosity, because that's all they are capable of doing.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.