Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Whiskeytango ( )
Date: March 08, 2013 10:03PM

This link is the minutes of a Manti City Council meeting which occurred the day after the presidential election. I have to hand it to the city council how they gave no more attention to these lunatics as possible and then moved right into the Christmas parade as though these crazies didn't even exist..Make sure you read the minutes of the meeting. They are incredible.

Apparently, the Utah National Guard was planning some military excersises in the area. Local residences opposed the plan due to god knows how many objections....Amazing.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/politics/55930568-90/utah-special-exercise-forces.html.csp

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2013 10:08PM by whiskeytango.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: jl ( )
Date: March 08, 2013 10:10PM

"Fifteen people spoke at a Manti City Council meeting the day after President Obama was re-elected, urging the council to rescind the welcome [for the military exercise].

They said they feared the exercise was part of a government plan to impose martial law, that military spies were already in the community and that mentally unstable soldiers would hurt residents."

Huhh??

I really have no words for this....

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: March 08, 2013 10:12PM

"Sharon Hagloch of Manti approached. She said that based on information that she has already received,the Special Forces are already here, asking questions, finding out about us. She expressed amazementthat the city council and mayor don’t seem at all concerned about this."

Methinks the only radio station Manti gets on either dial just happens to broadcast Glenn Beck reruns 24/7

Posted by: jesuswantsme4asucker ( )
Date: March 08, 2013 10:18PM

Uh oh, no one tell them about Dugway then. If a bunch of sales men, assistand managers and construction workers playing soldier scares them Dugway will make them shit themselves.

Date: March 08, 2013 10:20PM

Can you say "Anthrax"?

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: March 08, 2013 10:24PM

Yep ! I knew it ! Obama and his black army are coming for your guns !

Why are Manti residents not in insane asylums ?

Come to think of it, Utah is just one large insane asylum and Glenn Beck is its king.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: March 09, 2013 05:25PM

Also coming for the female wimmen folk! Utah will be miscegenated!

Posted by: rj ( )
Date: March 08, 2013 10:29PM

OH MY!

I wish their were images for this event. I suspect at least two of them were foaming at the mouth.

Date: March 08, 2013 10:30PM

I would also love to see a recording or photos of this. I suppose we could just show up to the next meeting and the same whackos would be there as well to rinse and repeat

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: March 08, 2013 10:31PM

I spent two weeks there. I knew something was a little off.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: March 08, 2013 10:44PM

Might I approach the Manti council? Thank you. Other citizens and I have long been aware of an organized and well-funded threat to our community. No, it's not Salt Lake (this time). And it's not the army (yet). There's a phalanx of Cainites, also known as big foot, stationed near the point of the mountain. Hey, get your hands off me! Don't throw me out! Don't tase me, brother Jenssen.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2013 11:47PM by donbagley.

Posted by: Outcast ( )
Date: March 08, 2013 10:48PM

What is it about group-crazy think in the intermountain west???

Posted by: inmoland ( )
Date: March 08, 2013 10:55PM

Complete with FEMA concentration camps and gas chambers--priceless!

What I find most amusing is that these people seem to think that the same government that has all of these evil plans for brute force in the works will stay away if only their little city council will just tell it to go elsewhere.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: March 09, 2013 01:02AM

Haha +100

Posted by: goatsgotohell ( )
Date: March 09, 2013 12:45AM

Thank you for the entertainment!

Date: March 09, 2013 12:56AM

Didn't Manti experience a polygamy explosion a few years ago?
Are there still a lot of them there?

Posted by: crom ( )
Date: March 09, 2013 02:22PM

Yes.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 09, 2013 02:13AM

when it doesn't happen...

I'm a betting that they think that they scared them to some other area / location where the 'liberal press' is covering - up...

any takers?

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: March 09, 2013 02:34AM

These crazies remind me of my TBM ex, as he believed in pretty much every conspiracy theory out there. The government declaring martial law and sending all Mormons and other non-conformists to concentration camps was one of the theories he believed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2013 02:35AM by adoylelb.

Posted by: Tristan-Powerslave ( )
Date: March 09, 2013 06:38AM

This is deplorably sick. I respect everyone's first amendment rights, but this is really, really insane.

Posted by: Quoth the Raven Nevermo ( )
Date: March 09, 2013 09:59AM

I read the posts before going to the story and I was thinking, this must be a joke, no one could be this stupid. Never underestimate crazy ass mobots. Wow. Nut city. I do have to say that I was impressed with the person taking the minutes, the summaries were very good.

These psychos are the same ones who know that mittens would have fixed all the wrongs in this country. The sad thing is that they have no shame at their silliness being spread in a newspaper, they are probably proud that they spoke out. Utah's motto should be "It isn't just the smog, you are now entering the twilight zone"

Date: March 09, 2013 10:02AM

Quoth the Raven Nevermo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
I do have to say that I
> was impressed with the person taking the minutes,
> the summaries were very good.
>

I'm dying to know who that person is and whether or not they concur with the other crazies. That would be an interesting interview I'm thinking.

Date: March 09, 2013 12:41PM

I am actually from Manti and know everyone involved. The lady who does the minutes was my daughters YW teacher. A normal lady that simply put up with the crazies in town. She collects the power bills types the city's paperwork and answers phones. She just lets the craziness roll off.

Most of these people are not affilliated with the Mormon Fundamentalists in town. Most of them are pretty much gone now. These are all people who are temple recommend holding folks. The amazing one is Allan Braithwaite who is a full Colonel in the Army Reserve. He makes enough money as "Colonel" on his weekend drills and temporary assignments that he does not hold a full time job. The Yardley's own a bed and breakfast in town and are always hosting weird holistic events.

The Mitsvotais are a special kind of crazy. Mitsvotai is not even their real name. They have changed their name several times as they have "embraced their Hebrewness". They were ex'd for awhile for being sympathetic to fundamentalist groups.

All of these people are in good standing with the LDS Church. Individually they are all nice people but they are bursting with nutty ideas.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: March 09, 2013 12:50PM

...that the military DIDN'T come round everyone up and send them off to be tortured. Obama had to change his plans.

At least that's what those folks are probably thinking.

Posted by: Barnupcrik ( )
Date: March 09, 2013 12:56PM

In defense of Manti. I don't live there but know some of those mentioned in the article. We do have crazies, but so do all of you. It's just ours are different than yours. Most people in Manti love the national guard. Those kids have done 2 tours in Iraq. A huge sacrifice to them and their families.

Manti had a tornado pass through town several years ago. FEMA showed up late as usual, by then the damage had all been cleaned up. Nobody standing in front of a TV camera whining, "whose going to help me."

Manti and Sanpete county are very conservative and very mormon, but I'll bet only 30% are active, tithe paying mormons. There's lots of hispanic, other christian denominations and of course jack mos.

My own family as an example (those that still live in Sanpete). Five years ago we were 3 TMB's and a jack mo. Now we're 1 TMB, 1 jack mo, 2 apostates and a inactive DIL and 2 grand babies, never blessed and never will be.

We're different, it's great to be different. I wouldn't want to live any where else.

Just sticking up for what I love,,,,,I love RfM too.

Date: March 09, 2013 02:03PM

I do agree with you. I lived in Manti for 16 years and am a veteran of that National Guard unit...

Most of the folks there are wonderful people. And the crazy people at the meeting are nice people... Just a little crazier than the average bear.

Posted by: nickname ( )
Date: March 09, 2013 02:33PM

"The Special Operations Command has designated Utah, with its desert and mountain geography as well as a culture dominated by a religious faith, as a good place for such training."

Lol! They picked Utah because it is the one place in America most like Afghanistan in both geography and culture!

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: March 09, 2013 05:28PM

They're still all worked up by Brigham Young's paranoia in the 1850s. I doubt that it's gone away.

Posted by: archytas ( )
Date: March 09, 2013 07:14PM

Good old Manti!

Posted by: Grumpoledog ( )
Date: March 09, 2013 07:51PM

Ok ok ok, let me get this straight. Out of all the thousands of cities in the US, Obama is targeting Manti, Utah???

Well that sounds logical and sane.

Date: March 09, 2013 08:11PM

Frankly i've never run into so many paranoid people in one town.

My sister and I went into one of the local stores to purchase a bucket. The storekeeper (owner?) stayed one aisle over and followed us around the store. Never said a word to us. Looked terrified.

We went into another store. There was a lady and some young kids there. She sent them running to the back room. They kept peeking around the corner and whispering. The lady stood at the counter and pretended like we weren't there. Strange.

Another business we visited, the people were great. They told us all about the crazy pligs that were trying to take over the town. They seemed relieved to have someone besides the towns people there.

The pligs running the trailer park were quite strange. They seemed like they wanted to keep in hiding a lot. When it was time to leave, we couldn't find anyone around. Finally a little boy showed up to take the money we owed. I hope he was legit. lol

At another shop, the owner kept marveling at how nice we were. All we did was talk to her. Nothing out of the ordinary, I didn't think. Maybe people aren't usually nice to her? I don't know, it just seemed strange.

Too many menus with turkey. Turkey is okay, but everyday gets a bit much. Mcdonalds food started to look pretty good. I was amazed they gave me coffee without looking at me like I was from a different planet. Is that were all the jackmos go for coffee?

All in all, I felt like I was in a bad movie that could go wrong at any moment. It was all topped off by the walk I took the last day I was there. I'm walking through a very quiet neighborhood. Not a single person in sight. Suddenly I hear this lady screaming and begging for someone to stop hitting her. I could hear a man yelling at her, but couldn't tell what he was saying. It was horrible. I had my cell phone with me, and I called the police. I didn't stick around to find out if they came. No way was I getting in the middle of that one. Good-bye Manti. Too weird for me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2013 08:20PM by Mia.

Posted by: John_Lyle ( )
Date: March 09, 2013 09:19PM

My impression is the 'maneuver' was canceled because the feds didn't have the money; not because of the citizens' complaints. The government doesn't respond to the people.

I don't see any connection to Obama at all. All the article is is that the meeting was held the night after the election.

I have to agree that I wouldn't want a bunch of SF guys running around at night using the morg to 'infiltrate' anywhere I lived. If anything, the 'oppressive government' the army should be helping overthrow is the TSCC...

When I first read it, my thought was: The SF guys are going to be like missionaries, making everyone feed them, drive them around and share gossip with them...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2013 09:22PM by John_Lyle.

Posted by: ThinkingOutLoud ( )
Date: March 09, 2013 09:27PM

Has anyone checked their wells, the public water supply or their lead-based paint situation lately?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.