Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: falcor7 ( )
Date: March 09, 2013 01:38PM

I recently had a bad experience at a dental office where I know the dentist was a Mormon and I suspect his office assistants were Mormon. The dentist seemed tired, stressed, but a halfway decent guy. The office assistants were a couple of women who were total bitches to me. When I brought up concerns or complaints with them, they acted like I was a bad person and in the end basically drove me away from the office with their hostile attitude. Since the assistants were nice much of the time and then only randomly showed flashes of snarkiness, it seemed like the dentist was unaware of the problem. He seemed to have a lack of concern for their attitude problems and admitted to being stressed out. I thought I could deal with Mormons on a business level but this experience makes me feel like I should try to avoid doing business with Mormons. I'm sure many of them are fine, but seems like chances are higher there will be emotional issues dealing with Mormons.

The assistants' attitudes really hurt my feelings and made me remember what it was like growing up and sitting in Young Women's and never feeling like I belonged. I got along better with non Mormon girls at school. But I have so many bad memories trying to get along and fit in with other Mormon girls at church, and never ever succeeding, and always feeling judged and not accepted.

Does anyone else have similar experiences dealing with attitude problems with Mormon women?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: anoninnv ( )
Date: March 09, 2013 01:46PM

Maybe as a nevermo I just don't see what them being Mo has to do with it. This kind of bs is played out in the office every day when I visit other departments (I do repairs). Some people just can't handle themselves.

Posted by: falcor7 ( )
Date: March 09, 2013 01:49PM

Yeah, I know, but I think chances are higher for cult members to have emotional issues, due to the stress of being in the cult.

Growing up in the church, it seems because people are not allowed to show their feelings, they are passive aggressive, acting very nice to you and then stabbing you in the back. That's the sort of energy I was feeling from these women. It felt all too familiar. It doesn't feel the same way when I deal with non-Mormons at all.

Posted by: anoninnv ( )
Date: March 09, 2013 01:58PM

I think that you have a good point with passive-aggressiveness. Society all over the US is being pressured into embracing it as a normal behavior, I think.

It's not okay to tell somebody "You unplugged it" even if you saw them do it. The proper way to say it is "It was unplugged."

Posted by: citizen not logged in ( )
Date: March 09, 2013 02:43PM

You are exactly right--it starts with Newspeak. All passive and intransitive forms. Disgusting.

Posted by: citizen not logged in ( )
Date: March 09, 2013 01:48PM

Agreed. This kind of behavior isn't unique to Mormons. Or women.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: March 09, 2013 02:02PM

Still, it's a good opportunity to use that phrase "See, this is why people don't respect Mormons. LOOK at the way you are acting." Because sure, women can be witchy no matter what their backgrounds but Mormon women are so sure they are setting a good example and so sure they are special, yet they act common and bad. You don't get credit for the virtues you claim, only the ones you live by so they don't get to lord it all over you for virtues they are told they have but lack.

That's the difference with them being Mormon. They think they are better than everyone else and want credit for being special, when they aren't.

Posted by: koriwhoremonger ( )
Date: March 09, 2013 02:39PM

Women in Mormonism get dumped on their entire lives. They aren't just second class citizens, they are third or forth class. Snarky, passive aggressive, angry, suppressed....you betcha! Who wouldn't be?

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: March 09, 2013 03:15PM

And when of the robots in your group doesn't behave according to your program, you gotta smack them down.

Where the analogy breaks down is that people who bottle up their anger and try to act happy all the time, sometimes the anger and resentment leaks out in other ways. In Utah, you see this on the road, or in catty gossip, or anger that busts out at inappropriate times because it's been bottled up too long.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: March 09, 2013 08:14PM

One reason I never attempted to date one...

Ron Burr

Posted by: BowMeow ( )
Date: March 10, 2013 04:42AM

Women are cats ...

Men are dogs ...

Posted by: Brenda ( )
Date: March 10, 2013 05:02AM

There are some Ex-Mo women who are that way too! Generational attitudes don't change just because someone leaves the church

Posted by: Surrender Dorothy ( )
Date: March 10, 2013 05:25AM

Welcome to the board, Brenda.

Posted by: Surrender Dorothy ( )
Date: March 10, 2013 05:23AM

Welcome to the board Falcor7. Very interesting first post. Some women AND some men, regardless of religion or lack thereof, can be witchy.

The dentist is the king of his office. He's not going to do any of the dirty work of dealing with unpleasant interactions with patients. He'll leave that to the lesser-thans--his staff. Additionally, the corporate culture of an office often trickles down. If the boss is being b**chy to his staff, they're probably going to be b**chy with the patients.

p.s. Do you know al-iced?

Posted by: too much joy ( )
Date: March 10, 2013 08:03AM

Mormon women seem to have a "pecking order." Their priesthood-weilding husbands dominate the women, so the women dominate their children and the friends below them in status. Mormon women are more competitive with each other than other groups of women, IMO. Competition means there are winners and losers. These women put others down in order to make themselves feel better. I believe that is why they can't be true friends with each other.

Welcome to the board, factor7. My business mentor, who had a high position in his field, gave me some excellent advice, which has helped me be successful and unscathed:

"Never do business with Mormons."

Posted by: sstone ( )
Date: March 10, 2013 09:00AM

I think there's something to the passive-aggresiveness and Mormonism. Definetely not limited to women, though. I cannot stand it when the LDS men close to me take on a self-righteous "I am morally superior to you" attitutde in order to disregard anything I may say.

I have way too many people like this in my life.

Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: March 10, 2013 12:03PM

Like Lassie?

Posted by: markrichards ( )
Date: March 10, 2013 12:27PM

I could write a book. Long story short. When my ex-wife found out I was sterile she said, "Well, just think, I waisted my virginity on YOU." She could not complain about anything else.

Well, she got her divorce. Married a guy that I 'thought' was a friend. Ten kids and 100 pounds later, I hope she is happy as she is now the merry widow driving her husband into an early grave because the guy worked three jobs to pay it all.

Posted by: happy at last ( )
Date: March 10, 2013 12:52PM

They are probably so depressed they have no joy in their life!

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: March 10, 2013 12:53PM

Everybody can be a bitch sometimes. Mormons are no exception.

Posted by: sistersalamander ( )
Date: March 10, 2013 11:47PM

Yes, I do find that a great many Mormon women are total b!tc#es. I first noticed it in college; most of the girls I knew were horrible. As soon as they got engaged, they became even worse -- especially in front of their men. One roommate, angry that I didn't do the apartment dishes on a weekend I was out of town (I told them I would be gone that weekend but they assigned me anyway), piled all the dirty dishes on my brand new quilt while I was gone. Her fiance was proud of her behavior. I bet he was even prouder when she moved out during spring break for her wedding and took all of my dishes and cookware with her.

Another roommate went b@tsh!t crazy because I spilled a few drops of contact lens solution on our shared bathroom sink. She screamed at me, burst into tears, and tattled to her fiance, who promptly chewed me out. He took her outburst as evidence that she would be a good homemaker. Yet another used to leave "love notes" (addressed to me) with scripture verses about laziness and sloth on the fridge when she thought I hadn't vacummed or swept well enough.

Once I married and moved into a family ward, I found the RS women even worse. Then DH's sisters -- they were in a league all their own.

I've also seen very b!tc#y Mormon women in the workplace (garment lines showing, scriptures on desk, etc., so everybody knows they're Mormons). They are openly rude to anyone who has tattoos, wears a sleeveless top, etc. They will also make catty comments to their co-workers loud enough for the object of the comments to hear them. The LDS doctors and dentists just shrug it off when people complain (this was in the Morridor).

The ones that volunteered at the elementary and high schools were horrible, too -- and they trashed the working mothers behind their backs every time.

One of the incidents that made me realize I'd had enough was when my car broke down in the rain. I had small children with me. I called my bishop's wife, who had a large, new SUV. She not only refused to jump my battery, she refused to even pick up my kids and give them a ride to my house (four doors down from hers) whilst I dealt with the car. She then called her husband (the bishop), and complained. HE called and reprimanded me for asking her, saying, "[Wifey] says she doesn't want to help you. You need to be self-reliant and not ask her." By the following Sunday, [Wifey] had spread the story all over the ward, indignantly blaming me for imposing on her.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.