Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ragingphoenix ( )
Date: March 12, 2013 11:06PM

My mother-in-law expressed to my wife that she was embarrassed by some of my Facebook comments. Especially one night when I "liked" 3 pages related to atheism/rationalism/humanism. She expressed that she is embarrassed her friends might see it.

I'm not ashamed.

I just made the following post on Facebook:

"I didn't think I'd ever need to write this but apparently I do. I'm atheist. It just means I don't believe in any god. I'm not claiming I know there isn't one, I'm just someone who doesn't believe in one. I apparently need to clear up a few misconceptions. I am still a humanist who wants people to progress, be happy and healthy. I have morals and ethics. I don't care if you are religious. I have a degree in studying philosophy and history of religions. I have FB friends and family who are Baptist, Catholic, Muslim, Pentecostal, Mormon, Jewish, Agnostic, Wiccan, Atheist, etc...

For you believers out there, many of you post religious ideas and scripture. I have no problem with that!

I only believe in one less god than many of you. I'm not embarrassed or offended if you don't believe in Zeus or Thor. So please don't be embarrassed about me not believing in your god.

Also, don't be offended if I "like" something that isn't in agreement with your faith. If you like a respectful debate, feel free to comment! I like debate! I learn things and am open to ideas.

So please, accept me for me. Don't be embarrassed of me or angry with me because I don't have the same belief system as you."

I'm done with my MIL's bullshit and passive-aggressiveness.

I expressed my concerns to a group that is focused on in-law issues. One person asked "what would your wife say about these issues?"

I asked my wife to read and reply. I posted it, despite wanting to pull out my hair for minimizing such things.

I'm me. If you don't like me fine. I don't fucking care.

I'm never going to silently let my MIL tear me apart again.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: fidget ( )
Date: March 12, 2013 11:16PM

Way to go raging! :)

Posted by: Vistere ( )
Date: March 12, 2013 11:37PM

I love your post. Straight to the point and also acknowledging that you know there are other beliefs and opinions out there and it's better to accept that we don't all think alike instead of being judgmental.

I'm thinking of writing something similar to what you wrote. Thank you for sharing.

Posted by: DebbiePA ( )
Date: March 12, 2013 11:51PM

Awesome, ragingphoenix. You did well!!

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 12:01AM

Isn't it awful how some TBMs, who spent all their life learning that lying comes from Satan, will do anything to cover up what might embarrass them or make them lose status with other Mormons? My mom still says our kids are in YM/YW in her Christmas letter, claiming they are still on the rolls even if they never attend. She says "How would if look if I said the other grandkids were active in the church but didn't mention your kids church activity?" It would look HONEST, Mom.

That's what happens when image matters more than character, as taught in Mormonism. Your MIL cares more about her image than what is really going on with her family. And that stinks. Sorry rp.

Posted by: liminal state ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 01:52AM

"Isn't it awful how some TBMs, who spent all their life learning that lying comes from Satan, will do anything to cover up what might embarrass them or make them lose status with other Mormons?

"That's what happens when image matters more than character . . . "

I learned that the hard way while living with RM's as roommates. They're masters of disguise.

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 12:08AM

Don't Mothers-in-law EVER know when to shut their traps?!

Jeez, don't ever let me turn into one of those meddling, holier-than-thou busybodies!

;o)

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 01:03AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEfI4hHf80o

Clips from the X-Men animated series

When I'm in a bad mood I imagine myself as Taarna lopping off the heads of bad guys...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frp4AtPshRo

Posted by: ragingphoenix ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 01:15AM

I couldn't help it but I had to comment before I logged out...

I just realized... Didn't the Phoenix self-destruct soon after self realization/actualization? Lol

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 02:06AM

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 04:50AM

"I'm me. If you don't like me fine. I don't fucking care."

This is a crucial realization.

Oh and by the way : we like you :-)

Best wishes from

Tom in Paris

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 08:51AM

I think of Dan Fogelberg's song which I think is named "Phoenix"--may have a longer title than that.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.