Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: alx71ut ( )
Date: March 12, 2013 11:16PM

With the median age being 65 it seems like there aren't too many nuns like Kate Upton out there, and the number "hearing the call" is in free fall.

http://www.ehow.com/facts_4568504_catholic-nuns.html
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/09/american-nuns-future_n_1762278.html

Full disclosure: I am not a Catholic, nor do I believe that the Pope who will be selected has any special authority in the eternal scheme of things.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: March 12, 2013 11:18PM

at that rate, soon there will be nun...

Posted by: story100 ( )
Date: March 12, 2013 11:43PM

LOL

Posted by: Lostmypassword ( )
Date: March 12, 2013 11:20PM

It's OK to kiss a nun as long as you don't get in the habit.

Posted by: sistersalamander ( )
Date: March 12, 2013 11:23PM

That's kind of sad. I was raised Catholic and went to Catholic schools run by nuns. They were generally kind, generous, happy women and very good teachers. The principal of my K-8 school, Sister [X], was loved by everyone. She made the rounds of all the classes each day with her lovely smile and her beautiful Irish setter in tow, and knew each student by name. Every year, the nuns held a party for the graduating eighth-graders and let them swim in the convent pool.

I understand why it's hard for women now to contemplate a life of celibacy, poverty, and obedience, but I'm thankful for the nuns who taught me during my school years.

Posted by: Darkfem ( )
Date: March 12, 2013 11:38PM

The nuns who ran my all-girls' high school were Sisters of Charity--missionary nuns, many with PhDs. They were politicized feminist intellectuals, athough I didn't realize or appreciate that at the time. Today I am grateful; they were very influential to me.

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 12:17AM

I'm from a loooooong line of Catholics, all educated in parochial schools and Catholic Universities (I took a 17-year detour into Mormonism). Anyhoo . . . this is our family's take: Most nuns of decades past were lesbians. No judgment here. It is what it is (or was).

With gay rights and feminism and child-free lifestyle choices, today there is less incentive to choose the convent as a way to be true to one's inner self. Just sayin'.

BTW, I received an EXCELLENT education from my nuns in Catholic schools! Some I loved, some I feared, some I hated. But I *learned* from them ALL.

;o)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2013 12:18AM by shannon.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 01:43AM

My father went to Catholic school. He used to call it Our Lady of Perpetual Penance.

Posted by: Anon regular lurker ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 01:59AM

Posted by: grubbygert nli ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 02:02AM

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 02:17AM

Also a product of Catholic school here.

The nuns were not always kind but most of them were.

When I was helping place disabled children in schools which made it easier for them to learn, I found out that Catholic school with its low pupil-student ratio turned out to be BETTER for disabled kids than going to public school with a special needs class AND better than even having a one-on-one attendant!

And a whole lot cheaper.

Go figure.

Ana

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 10:35AM

They also have a shortage of priests. You know, if they let nuns and priest start getting married and having families, this problem might go away. It's not like they couldn't afford it. I have a friend who is a Catholic Priest, and he seems to be living comfortably.

Posted by: scooter ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 10:52AM

by and large they do not self replenish.

mostly.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 11:40AM

Given a choice in the modern world, women and gay men prefer to remain free of religious bondage.

I'd say that's a good sign for humanity.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.