Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: msmom ( )
Date: March 10, 2013 08:07PM

The mormon analogy for the activity with First Parish 8th graders today would be if the beehives, deacons, their advisors and the primary president all walked into a drug store together to learn where the over-the-counter contraceptives can be purchased.

I co-teach the 8th grade human sexuality course, “Our Whole Lives” as part of the First Parish religious education program. Today’s topics dealt with contraception and masturbation. Our Director of Religious Education (DRE) came along for our walking field trip to the CVS across the street and down the road from our church.

It was an easy walk, temps in the upper 40’s with melting snow everywhere. We were a bit of a walking snowball fight so we needed to regroup for a moment outside CVS to review NOT bringing our snowball fight indoors.

I explained that the products they would be looking for would be under the heading “Family Planning.” Our tallest boy found the aisle first.

Class meets from 4 PM to 7 PM so it was not a busy time. A few customers gave us plenty of space as we looked at condoms, lube, vaginal inserts, and some vibrators. We found a pregnancy test that purported to be able to determine gender. We asked the pharmacist if that really worked, she didn’t know. There was an OTC HIV test – again, not sure that it works.

The pharmacist advised that there is no age restriction on making purchases from that aisle. We hadn’t planned to have young people make purchases, only to learn how to do so when they are older and ready to be sexually active. Co-teacher Jonathan and I picked up a couple of boxes of non-lubricated condoms for use in condom volley ball back at church. Two of the boys wanted to be the ones to make the actual condom purchase so we provided them with the funds (to be reimbursed by the DRE) to do so.

On the way back, the teens seemed a little somber so the DRE started another snowball fight. Back in our classroom we divided into gender alike groups to study our purchases as well as to review boxes of Rx supplies and anatomically correct wooden penises to use for condom practice. Usually this is an activity that takes the girls much longer than the boys, but not with this group.

After class, co-teacher Jonathan explained that the boys had never been instructed in the use of condoms with an anatomically correct model and they all wanted to practice A LOT. The girls made two attempts each – once with lube, once without and they were ready to move on.

We have just started including “Five Minutes with Laci Green” as part of our meetings. This week Laci’s topic was bondage and domination as described in 50 shades of grey. Laci is a sex educator who is also an exmo! I have included the youtube link we discussed today. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o92hv7La9Sk

We ended the meeting with a discussion of the safest sex of all, masturbation.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: March 11, 2013 07:01PM

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: March 11, 2013 07:48PM

I read this msmom. I was too amazed to say anything. I should have posted anyway, to say I'd read your report, which is interesting, like all the rest.

I was thinking though that not parents, not school, and especially not church, ever made this subject so open and approachable.

Wow.

Not the church I ever knew... :)

I admire the work you do (with the youth at church).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2013 08:55PM by Nightingale.

Date: March 11, 2013 09:41PM

We review everything we cover with the young people and they sign permission slips. We show them all materials. There are some explicit pen and ink drawings that are shown that need to be in context.

We send around a schedule that says what is being shown on each date (there are not always outside materials) so that if there is anything parents or youth prefer not to see they do not attend that week. Attendance is usually pretty high though.

Laci Green was recommended to us by the 8th graders themselves. I like her candor and lobbying for communication, dignity, and respect. At our last meeting, the youth demonstrate some of their favorite activities for the parents. That event will include a visit with Laci. Last year's youth enjoyed watching their parents place a condom correctly.

8th grade IS very young, not all our 8 graders participate. As we review the materials with the parents I always have a sense of "end of innocence." Young people I am teaching now are children I have been watching grow up since they were born!

2 of my four sons have participated. (NOT with me as instructor of course). Both are glad they did. I am pleased that exposure to these sensitive topics takes place in a safe place with trained adults. (instructors need to attend a 20 hour course and be certified).

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: March 11, 2013 07:50PM

Do you ever have parents object? I was thinking that some of that, like the 50 shades of grey stuff, might be a bit much for 13-14 year olds-at least some of them.Generally though, this is good.

Posted by: robertb ( )
Date: March 12, 2013 12:51AM

One of our OWL instructors is a gay man, which made me laugh thinking how well *that* would go over with the Mormons and, well, a bunch of others. Crystal and I spent part of an evening in conversation with him and his partner. We are going to see if we can have his daughter do some child care for us so we can get out now and then.

When I was working as a counselor at an alternative high school, I had large bowl full of condoms the kids could help themselves to. I bought them in bulk from the health department. I also supplied my own kids with condoms, of course, if they wanted them.

Posted by: Helen ( )
Date: March 12, 2013 02:19AM

We nurses were teaching adolescents about safe sex and this "kid" said, "But condoms break and aren't safe are they?"

So one of the nurses took out a condon put her hand inside each side and stretched it wide and pulled it down over her head.

It took a while to get the group settled down :-)

Posted by: Zip ( )
Date: March 12, 2013 12:05PM

...Honesty

...and reality

...and practical relevancy

...and compassion for needed knowledge?

Maybe there's hope for religion after all -- at least some religions.

Date: March 13, 2013 05:18PM

last time I taught OWL. He is now heading up our congregation's standing committee and not available to teach. Current co-teacher is straight (but not narrow) as am I.

Helen - third son took OWL (which was called AYS - about your sexuality at the time) with a nurse - super credibility!

One of our young ladies put condoms on her feet and walked around. We also showed them how to watch for the expiration date on condom packages - expired condoms broke with the stress we put on them, unexpired did not break.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.