Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: rd4jesus ( )
Date: March 15, 2013 11:46AM

I was thinking today of all the hard things I've done in my life:

- LDS Mission
- Raising 8 kids
- Getting B.S. and MBA while raising 8 kids.
- Changing religions from LDS to Born-Again.

Changing religions was infinitely harder than the other 3 combined. It's been hard mentally on me. Fortunately, I've found support on this forum and a few friends who support me as well. I know many on this board have not changed faiths, but have simply left. I know it's hard. It's hard, but it's worth it. If you feel like you're being dishonest with yourself being Mormon, then you should leave because it's not healthy to live a lie.

I tried to stay active in TSCC without believing. I'd even get up and bear my testimony every fast Sunday thinking it would improve my testimony, it never did. I read my scriptures (BoM) daily. I prayed and prayed. I finally started praying that I'd be on the path the Lord wanted me on and I feel like he lead me to a Born-Again Christian friend who got me out.

If you believe in prayer (sorry, for preaching) pray that you'll get on the right path for yourself, even if that means staying in TSCC as a non-believer. If you don't believe in prayer, then meditate on it. I love coming to this board for support. Thank you.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: March 15, 2013 12:20PM

I understand. Only instead of 8, 12. Minus LDS mission. Plus danger from a serial killer.

Posted by: rd4jesus ( )
Date: March 15, 2013 02:30PM

+Like

Posted by: rationalguy ( )
Date: March 15, 2013 02:28PM

I found it much less trying to simply abandon religion and become a metaphysical naturalist. You're not taking up anything, just casting off all supernaturalism and dogma. Easy-Peasy!

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: March 15, 2013 03:23PM

Posted by: Dick G. Snot ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 12:49AM

Leaving is a lot like divorce.

Posted by: Holy the Ghost ( )
Date: March 15, 2013 03:32PM

I agree that leaving the LDS church is difficult. After decades of socialization it becomes part of your personal identity. I can't speak to leaving one and adopting another...

In leaving the church, it was as if part of my identity vanished. Many of us flounder while we try to figure out what that disappearance actually means.

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: March 15, 2013 03:34PM

I can see why giving up one fairy tale for another would be difficult. First you'd have to apply logic, standards of evidence, and common sense to stop believing the first fairy tale. Then you'd have to suspend all that in order to believe the second.

That would be tough :)

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: March 15, 2013 07:21PM

I don't believe any of it, and believe that Evangelical Christianity is as silly as any of it.

Posted by: Jorsen ( )
Date: March 15, 2013 09:33PM

I'm an idiot. I still like Mormonism and Mormons and flirt with still attending even though I am pretty much an atheist. I wonder what is wrong with me. Am I that hard up for community?

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: March 15, 2013 10:53PM

It's the only explanation I can think of.

Posted by: spwdone ( )
Date: March 15, 2013 10:22PM

I was born and raised BIC and my entire life and identity were tied up in the LDS church. Leaving for good was extremely difficult, even when I knew it was a bunch of crap. I am a member of a very large family and while some have seen the light of truth, others haven't and do their best to make things complicated.

My TBM family members continue to exert pressure and try (it doesn't work, but they continue to try) to guilt me into doing what they think I should; basically pretending that I am TBM so they don't have to explain it to their kids or deal with it personally. I, along with other no-mo-mo siblings, declined this lovely offer. It's loads of fun.

We are all in different situations, leaving is easier for some than others, for whatever reason. None of us should be judged for our choices. Life is not simple and decisions are not easy, especially when those decisions involve and impact other people.

I personally have chosen not to join another religion, I have serious trust issues among other things, although I have attended other churches at times and enjoyed them. I also am fortunate enough to be married to a never-mo, so leaving was a celebration for him, as opposed to an issue to deal with. I feel for those in other circumstances.

Posted by: templenameaaron ( )
Date: March 15, 2013 10:43PM

Hate to burst your bubble rd, God is dead! Religion is a waste of time dump it all together. If you must worship something make it the art of giving your partner great orgasms.

Posted by: Barnupcrik ( )
Date: March 15, 2013 11:21PM

I woke up about 15 months ago, my leaving is still incomplete. After discarding mormon scriptures I looked at the bible and found it also full of myths, (Noah and the flood, ect). I would like to be Christian and tell my family I'am to make it easier on them. I totally understand those that are atheist and that's where I would be, but I'm convinced that I have had prayers answered. My experiences, I know, are of no value to anyone here, nor are yours of any value to me. Because we are all skeptics, we've all been burned. I'm sure there is a loving God. He "unconditionally" loves the mormon, jack mo, atheist and born again (I've felt it). I did get more answers to my prayers when I was a jack mormon than when I was active.

Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 12:59AM

20,000 a day or so? sounds like moloch on steroids...

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 01:01AM

I rage against that thing.

Posted by: No Mo ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 01:13AM

sonoma Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 20,000 a day or so? sounds like moloch on
> steroids...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPriOQkKd6k

All things dull and ugly,
All creatures short and squat,
All things rude and nasty,
The Lord God made the lot.
Each little snake that poisons,
Each little wasp that stings,
He made their brutish venom.
He made their horrid wings.

All things sick and cancerous,
All evil great and small,
All things foul and dangerous,
The Lord God made them all.

Each nasty little hornet,
Each beastly little squid--
Who made the spikey urchin?
Who made the sharks? He did!

All things scabbed and ulcerous,
All pox both great and small,
Putrid, foul and gangrenous,
The Lord God made them all.

Amen.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: March 15, 2013 11:23PM

I just love these out-of-the-frying-pan-into-the-fire stories.

Date: March 15, 2013 11:33PM

Posted by: Boomer ( )
Date: March 15, 2013 11:43PM

rd4Jesus, after all you've done changing religion will be a breeze. You're a strong, independent, determined person and you've climbed every mountain put in your path. This one will be no different.

I truly admire you and hope you find a church or belief system which brings you what you need.

Posted by: too much joy ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 12:07AM

I still believe in a God who loves us unconditionally. I believe in Jesus, but occasionally question his Divine Birth. I still have church phobia, and won't join any organized church group. If someone accosts me in a church, and starts to ask me questions, I back away, and disappear.

Wherever you are, whatever you do, you are better off than when you were a member of an evil cult of lies!

Posted by: No Mo ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 01:20AM

rd4jesus Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> Changing religions was infinitely harder than the
> other 3 combined.

Why do you feel that you need religion to fulfill your life? It is weak to believe in a god that wanted his son to be tortured and murdered just so he could forgive. Why not just forgive? It is all nonsense. I don't need your invisible friend or the mythology of the Bible.

Posted by: Godisgood ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 01:23AM

Whoever you are I am proud of you. I married a recovering Mormon and he hasn't been back since he had a choice. Jesus loves you and wants a relationship with you. Hope to see more like you.

Date: March 16, 2013 01:30AM

he sees you when you're sleeping, he know when you're awake! like a stalker!

plus he gives presents!!

Date: March 16, 2013 01:32AM

Date: March 16, 2013 01:35AM

Date: March 16, 2013 01:36AM

a bugler.

Date: March 16, 2013 01:46AM

Date: March 16, 2013 01:49AM

Date: March 16, 2013 01:55AM

without the glamour.

Date: March 16, 2013 01:58AM

without the moolah :(

Date: March 16, 2013 01:59AM

hair doo-ah?

Date: March 16, 2013 02:05AM

Date: March 16, 2013 02:07AM

Date: March 16, 2013 02:12AM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.