Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 01:08AM

So my 13 year old son was out with 3 of his 13 year old friends today. They were committing an illegal act.

Not 1, not 2, but 4 cop cars came to the scene of the crime. What was this heinous act that required 4 cop cars to attend to?

They were skateboarding on the street instead of on the sidewalk!

I looked it up and sure enough it is state law that you aren't allowed to skate board on the street. But it is actually enforced when they aren't doing anything else wrong? And it takes 4 cops to respond?

I'm thinking Pleasant Grove either needs more crime or less police.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: psychobabble ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 01:15AM

Yeah, that seems to happen a lot in Utah County. I am in Orem, and I like to go out walking at night (insomnia). I have been stopped by cops on like 6 different occasions. They always ask me what I'm doing out so late ... they ask me for identification, which I don't have since I'm just out walking. Then they ask for my name and birthdate so they can call it in ... I guess to find out if I have a record or something.

Seems kinda stupid for just being out walking at a really late hour. Yeah the cops need a little something more to do.

Posted by: liminal state ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 05:54AM

I live in Orem, too, and that's happened to me once already.

If you really look around Orem it's not typical (or even popular?) to walk. How many people do you really see walking around for leisure?

Posted by: Paint ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 01:21AM

I ALWAYS find it interesting that "they"are nowhere to be found when numerous people run red lights or don't even stop at a stop sign. I'm glad to know that they are around for the really important things like intimidating 13 year olds! Utah county is an interesting place.

Posted by: liminal state ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 05:57AM

"Utah county is an interesting place."

Because it's stuck in a bass-ackwards Andy Griffith Show time warp.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2013 06:13AM by liminal state.

Posted by: christian smithstian ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 02:53AM

This is almost an everyday occurrence in PG. I got pulled over for speeding (10 over on State St.). Three police cars and half an hour later I was given a warning.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2013 02:54AM by christian smithstian.

Posted by: nickname ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 04:46AM

Yeah, its not just Pleasant Grove. Provo police are strange as well. I saw one guy walking down the street with a machete. It was sheathed and he wasn't threatening anyone or anything, but it was still a bit weird. I was walking by to go to my car, and I saw a pair of cops pull over and go talk to him, so I hung around to see what happened. The guy wasn't freaking out or anything, just chatting with the cops. Over the course of the next 10 minutes or so, about 6-7 police cars (a mix of Provo City Police and BYU Police) had either stopped or driven by. All told, there must have been at least 10 officers involved in this non-incident.

Utah County cops also seem to like checking in on popular make-out spots and harassing anyone they find there. Just check in and make sure nothing's going on... or something. I really have no idea what they think might be happening, it seems pretty clear whats going on from the fogged-up windows! A decent person would just clear out and let them be. Its hard enough to get a bit of privacy around BYU.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2013 04:47AM by nickname.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.