Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: msmom ( )
Date: March 17, 2013 07:19PM

It was lovely, of course. When a person who gave so much of himself to so many is gone naturally a memorial will be filled with love. Although none of us wanted to be there. We wanted Kerry and Olivier to grow very old together. We did not want to see Olivier so sad.

Olivier had put together a screen showing a photo montage of a lot of Kerry’s artwork as well as pictures of the two of them together and pictures from Kerry’s childhood and youth. Even a picture from his mission.

Also, his oil paintings, “Qu##r Widow” and “What is your fear?” were on display as well. I met neighbors, and Olivier’s work colleagues and friends. Many members of Kerry’s graduating class from Harvard were there. A woman he had known in SanFrancisco, who now lives with her partner in Brooklyn came up. A former classmate came from New Jersey as well.

Kerry’s sister from New Mexico was there. It was good to meet her and get the inside scoop on the airline industry. She is retired from United.

Upstairs and downstairs neighbors, Joy and Mary were there. I remember how happy Kerry was when he first moved in to have found such nice neighbors.

I was amazed to learn that almost everyone in attendance had read all our posts on RFM. They had googled Kerry and that is what came up.

I was able to tell our story with everyone I met as we each asked each other how we know Kerry and / or Olivier. I explained that I had met Kerry at an on line forum when he was living in San Francisco. When I learned that he was moving to the Boston area, I offered him a room at our house to use while house hunting and that is how we met. Everyone agreed that Kerry was the kind of man you could meet on the internet and be delighted to learn he would accept an invitation to stay at your house without ever having met.

When they asked on which forum I met him they all said they had read it. “Someone posted about his death right after it happened,” they said. I told them that I was the msmom who had posted the sad news. They were deeply touched by your outpourings to someone so few had actually met.

We first became friends with Kerry and then with Olivier when he relocated as well. They came for dinner with our family and to parties with our neighbors and extended family. They were one of the couples we always looked forward to seeing. They (and some other gay friends) were among the first people we contacted when youngest son decided to come out of the closet. What lovely adult role models for a young gay man to have had as part of the backdrop of his parents’ friends.

After the memorial, Doug (aka drdad) and I joined Olivier, his sister and some neighbors and old friends and former classmates at Frank’s Steak House. I was talking with his student friend and her fiancé who had come from New Jersey. They had not organized lodging for themselves and were not looking forward to a long drive back after a rather exhausting afternoon.

They had already heard how I met Kerry. So I explained that I really am the sort of person who invited people she had met on the internet to spend the night. So I invited them to our house. They offered to hop on the internet and make it official, but I said they could come over anyway. Others could offer couches – we could offer a guest room with double bed and a bathroom no one else was using at the moment. So we had overnight guests as in the room Kerry used, with the bedspread I bought before he came because the former one was getting raggedy.

I laughed to myself that, as an active mormon I guess I would not have offered an unmarried couple a double bed! (And, as I warned them, it is just a double - full size, not even queen so they would need to snuggle close!)

I had everyone present at Frank’s give me their email addresses and I have invited them all to a barbecue at our house on June 30 (Kerry’s 54th birthday).

Olivier is going to San Francisco in two weeks for another memorial. I asked if it was ok to post that in this forum. He was not sure who would want to come. I thought, well everyone on the board really, but I would say, if you know Olivier, check with him about details. He did say he would be in touch with someone who had emailed him and sent something in the mail. I think that would be Mujun.

I have been posting here since 2000. At first it seemed like “my imaginary friends” were talking back to me. The handles we use and the anonymity of the forum made me feel that way. But we are a beloved community. Thank you all for being real. (And seriously – let me know if you need a place to stay if you are visiting the Boston area!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2013 07:37PM by msmom.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Helen ( )
Date: March 17, 2013 07:38PM

Your kindness and compassion for Kerry and Oliver could be felt through the screen.

How are you doing?

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: March 17, 2013 08:22PM

Well that made me sad, because I just turned 54 myself and now Kerry won't get to. :o(

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: March 17, 2013 08:27PM

Others have expressed interest as well -- at least five of us.

I tried emailing you when I heard (someone called me), but it bounced. My email is unhidden.

Please contact me offline?

I hardly open these threads only because it hurts so much to read about him, but I thank you for keeping those of us who couldn't go yesterday apprised.

Posted by: Punky's_Dilemma ( )
Date: March 17, 2013 09:54PM

nt

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: March 17, 2013 10:01PM

Thank you Ms. Mom. As I've said before, Kerry helped my family through my daughter's coming out as bi-sexual at the very same time we were exiting the church.

I'm sooooooo happy to hear he was a role model for yet another ex-mormon GLBT teen.

Well done.

Love,
Shannon ;o)

Posted by: Tahoe Girl ( )
Date: March 17, 2013 10:29PM

Thanks, msmom. I keep crying every time I read about him. What a wonderful man he was, loved by so many. I'm glad he was there for your son as well as for others who came out of the closet.

TG

Posted by: msmom ( )
Date: March 18, 2013 04:52PM

Anyone needing to get in touch with Olivier can email me at mksnow@comcast.net. Put some RFM type identifier in the subject line so I don't toss you in the bin!

And Helen - I am really ok. I was glad to be able to share the information with so many of you as soon as I learned it myself. I was on my way to California to stay with 2 grandsons while their parents celebrated their dad's safe return from his latest military deployment.

I had a lot of work to do and I was happy to be on a plane with wifi. I paid the 8 bucks and opened my inbox. A routine note I had sent to Kerry (about cross country skiing - a friend and I go often and I had promised Kerry to always let him know when we were going in case he would be able to join us) was answered by Olivier with the terrible news.

Needless to say, no work was accomplished and I used my access to hop onto the board here. An excellent use of my $8!

Posted by: Helen ( )
Date: March 18, 2013 08:22PM

I can imagine your shock at opening Oliver's email.

I am glad to know that you are ok.

Also glad your son returned safely from his latest military deployment.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: March 18, 2013 05:03PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.