Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: SayHi2Kolob4Me ( )
Date: March 14, 2011 12:28AM

Today in Sunday school they went on and on about everything that is discussed on rfm. They brought up prop 8, blacks, DNA etc. They said how all of it is a test for us to follow what ever the prophet says and only god knows when the time is right for these things. And that these tests are what separate the wheat from the shaft or something. I don't understand the wheat analogies. Anyway, they were saying that only true believers follow the prophet even though it doesn't make sense to us, but it makes sense to god. So everyone that left due to prop 8 failed the test. They even brought up things I never heard of and if I were a true believer that lesson would have changed me into an unbeliever. They just love to talk about their critics and how no one understands. It was interesting though that they were alluding to gays being accepted some day like African-Americans and god is just waiting for the right time.

Anyway, I think they used rfm for their lesson manual this week ;)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: March 14, 2011 02:37AM

decided to check out RFM for themselves. There's no such thing as bad publicity, ya know.

The LDS spin is SO WEIRD . . . . . so the spin is that glaring problems with the church (like racism, DNA, and homophobia) are just TESTS for them? To see if they'll believe and follow no matter how wrong it feels or how bad it looks?

So what are they being tested FOR?

Intelligence? Um . . . that would be a no.

Independence? Nope

Leadership or Courage? NOPE.

Compliance and willful ignorance? BINGO. The Mormon God apparently wants people who will follow and believe even when things look REALLY messed up and just don't make sense. The Mormon God wants his future apprentice-Gods who won't seek out information/clarification, or think for themselves.

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: March 14, 2011 12:18PM

Apparently he's all for Gods who are blithering idiots who can't wipe themselves without a manual.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: March 14, 2011 12:32PM

It's all such insanity. Really though, all this talk about tests and whatnot is just to dignify and draw attention from the fact that they are in it because they are too invested to leave. They've been living their lives this way for so long that the real world seems foreign and even terrifying. So, they stay in the Church, because it's all just a crazy test to see how elect they are. Yeah, that must be it. It couldn't be because it's all a big lie and they've been hustled.

My mother was telling me once that Satan has been creeping around for the last 200 years, falsifying documents about Smith and making him look like a sex addicted confidence trickster instead of the wonderful human being portrayed in the Mormon church's propaganda films. She thinks you can't trust anything anyone writes - not even your own memory - if it conflicts with whatever the Mormon church is saying these days.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2011 12:34PM by Makurosu.

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: March 14, 2011 12:42PM

They're the kind of people who fly planes into buildings...

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: March 14, 2011 08:15AM

I stood up there and proclaimed that we could tell that the church was true because so many people wrote and said bad things about it. After all, why else would Satan be so desperate to get rid of it if it was not really true?

Of course, today it is obvious that it is not Satan, but *his* adversary who is opening peoples eyes.

There is a bright side to the stupid things I used to say though:

One time I went with the sister missionaries to visit a guy who had been taking the discussions. During our visit he showed signs that he was wavering in his commitment. Somehow it seemed like the right thing to mention that there were a lot of antimormon websites out there trying to thwart Gods work. He was surprised-
Are there really antimormon websites?
Why yes! Satan has his fingers in all the pies these days.

He apparently went to the web over the next few days and then told the sissiemishies to F-off.

Oopsie!

Posted by: brett ( )
Date: March 14, 2011 11:15AM

Everything about these posts says "cult" to me. For example:
"Follow the prophet, whatever the prophet says" and "the church must be true because so many people are against it".

When I was a TBM and used to think and say these things as well. I thank God that I was able to escape before too much permanent damage was done.

Posted by: oddcouplet ( )
Date: March 14, 2011 12:44PM

If the church is true because many people say it isn't, would it also be correct to say that the church (or anything else) is false because many people say it's true?

Posted by: quoth the raven nevermo ( )
Date: March 14, 2011 12:30PM

Prayershilton --

Thanks for the info. Interesting that they are spinning the gay issue as another blacks in the priesthood situation.

Why are you still there? You obviously have seen the light so I guess you are there for family issues.

The wheat and shaft reference is about wheat and CHAFF. But shaft seems an appropriate word as the church gives is loyal sheeple the big shaft. Chaff is the outer covering that has to be removed from grain and rice. The phrase means to separate what is usable from what is not, or the good from the bad.

Posted by: SayHi2Kolob4Me ( )
Date: March 15, 2011 12:26AM

Thanks for the info about chaff. I'm sure I knew that once upon a time since I've heard that phrase all of my life. Most Mormon doctrine is a fuzzy distant memory. I've been inactive my entire adult life but I just go every once in a while to appease my family. (currently visiting family in Utah so I was a visitor at this particular ward that I wrote about).

Also, I love your name quoth the raven nevermo

Posted by: Topper ( )
Date: March 15, 2011 12:42AM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.