Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: skeptic ( )
Date: April 05, 2013 09:36PM

That's right. I had a one on one with Monson back in 1971, shortly before I was to leave the mission field in Germany. I wondered what missionary advice he'd give me, knowing I'd be out of there in a few weeks. The only thing I can distinctly remember from the interview was his push for me to pay tithing. I had no income, but that didn't matter. He said I'd never go inactive if I always paid tithing. Like a sap I believed him for too many years, until I wised up and saw it for what it was, a grab for cash. A lot of the RM's from there became doctors, lawyers, and he knew where the church's bread was buttered.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: April 05, 2013 09:48PM

Did you stop paying tithing, then go inactive?

A prophet! For some reason I associate TSM with a stupid brag story about requesting milk when alcoholic drinks were being enjoyed so that no one would mistake him for drinking alcohol. I hope he is alert enough to know that he is witnessing the decline of Mormonism.

Posted by: skeptic ( )
Date: April 05, 2013 09:58PM

I have been religion-free for 20 years, about the same time I left the "faith"I stopped tithing.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: April 05, 2013 10:57PM

Ironically, those who continue to pay tithing tend to remain committed because it is hard for someone after investing so much to be willing to admit his error and stop feeding the dragon.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: April 05, 2013 11:04PM

Because it's fire insurance and you got your policy when 10% was worth something?

Makes absolutely no sense.

Ana

Posted by: Crathes ( )
Date: April 05, 2013 11:13PM

I have heard that crap about paying tithing and never going apostate. I can testify it is not true. I was still paying while going apostate.

Posted by: Yaqoob ( )
Date: April 05, 2013 11:38PM

This is EXACTLY what my mission president said to me when I was leaving - don't want to use his name, but its the same as the US president that was impeached in the 70s. After he said "Elder Yaqoob, what happened to you?" - making me feel like sh*t for burning out the last two months - said "your biggest challenge will forever be your honestly with the Lord - you will always fall short in giving of your tithes to the Lord..."

Well shit, he was right about that.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: April 06, 2013 01:34AM

I had one in 1970 with him in Italy. I even translated one of his talks once into Italian for some Spanish visitors. Sounds weird to say that. Going out of my mission I interviewed with Hartman Rectum, who challenged me to get married within 6 months of making it home. I was so mortified that it took me 9 months to get married.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.