Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: holy the ghost ( )
Date: April 07, 2013 07:18AM

just saw this on my facebook page--it was in response to Elder Bednar's statement that sometimes we have to have the faith to not be healed (whatever the heck that is supposed to mean...)

" When [edited] was in pain and death was inevitable, but his heart was too strong to let him pass away, he had faith that his priesthood leader could release him from mortality. His faith was realized, unexpectedly quickly."

So priesthood assisted suicide?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: jl ( )
Date: April 07, 2013 07:25AM

Oh, are we glad that these leaders are so inspired, ahead of our time?

When medically assisted suicide is not even legal in this country yet, the Lard's Anointed is already hitting at a more "inspired" way to help individuals move beyond mortality and advance in the Great Plan of Happiness.

Date: April 07, 2013 07:26AM

that should read:

"....HINTING at....."

Posted by: smith ( )
Date: April 07, 2013 07:39AM

This is actually quite common in the church. And mormons will parrot this stupid thinking without really thinking about what it means.

Also something which is odd is the I can't wait for the next life statement aka I can't wait until I die!

Posted by: Steven ( )
Date: April 07, 2013 11:51AM

Bednar came and spoke in our mission the month before I went home and mentioned having Faith not to be healed.

So... no matter what happens... LDS Inc wins :). Very faith promoting!

Posted by: GetTheLedZepOut ( )
Date: April 07, 2013 12:56PM

It's just a way of always providing an exit strategy. That way, if you get a blessing and it does nothing, then you had the faith for that to be the right outcome.
Ya, I know, hurts my head too!

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: April 07, 2013 01:13PM

It's just "official" permission to quit fighting to stay alive. It might be one of the saner things one can do with the make-believe priesthood. It's far more realistic than the false hope they usually give, followed by the recipient feeling unworthy when the juju fails.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2013 01:13PM by Stray Mutt.

Posted by: helemon ( )
Date: April 07, 2013 01:40PM

What about all those blessings where the priesthood holder tells them they will live and they don't? I guess they didn't have enough faith.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: April 07, 2013 01:58PM

This is from personal experience.

Often, the person, in the dying process ( in Home Hospice Care where the spouse or family cares for the individual with visits from Hospice Nurses), or some months before when the person knows they don't have much time left, it is not uncommon for a representative of the person's religion to come and pray over them. Sometimes it's a specific prayer ritual.

In the case of the LDS it's more about giving them comfort in their last days.

A prayer can in no way assist suicide in this case.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2013 01:59PM by SusieQ#1.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: April 07, 2013 02:06PM

Twice I gave blessings to people who were comatose. The blessings were to release them, that they could go to their reward. Both died very shortly - hours - after the blessing. My uncle was one of them. What was interesting was to see his response on the monitors, though he was comatose.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: April 07, 2013 02:10PM

There seems to be an element of release of life that is common in many cases. People often need to be told, in some manner, to know it's OK to let go and allow their body to die.
It's very common. They stay alive to see everyone they want to see, they hang on by a thread for something they need to see happen.

Posted by: srena nli ( )
Date: April 07, 2013 04:24PM

Hard to know what her level of awareness was as she could not move, respond or react, although there were rare grimaces or tears. I'm cinvinced that she could still hear and right at the end roused enough to hear me, and to know my dad, the love of her life, had taken a break to go home and shower. Only a few minutes after he left, I leaned over and kissed her, told her we would be okay, she'd left us well prepared, and we'd all watch over dad, that it was okay to let go. I told her she would always be with us. Tears had collected at the corners of hers eyes, and I gently dried them, with a kleenex, then she took her last breath. She decided to let go.

It was exactly as the ICU nurse said would probably happen. Think the penishood as taking rather a lot of credit, but the comatose can still hear; its almost giving them the ok to let go.

Date: April 07, 2013 04:00PM

So, if your spouse is terminally ill and you can't cover both his/her medical treatments and tithing, according to the "first law of heaven," which is obedience, you should pay tithing first and expect a miracle to happen so that you can pay for the treatments, too.

If it doesn't happen, then you have to have faith that your spouse is not meant to be healed.

Hmmmmmm...

F*ck that!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.