Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: DonQuijote ( )
Date: April 08, 2013 01:50PM

I'm considering writing a book about my experiences in Mormonism, Mormon Fundamentalism & my exit. I'd for sure like to write a tell all book for my family, but publicly I don't know how much I'm allowed to say when it comes to talking about people I met along the way. I met a lot of people who are very well known in Utah and Fundamentalism & came to know some of them very well. I also met several book authors, some of them still in the church, and some of them not. I have positive things I can say about all of them, but some of them probably wouldn't like to hear me express my conclusions or things I found about their group that were wrong or criminal. If I write a public book, would it be better to write it with a pen name and mention all the public names, or write it with my own name and make up names for the "famous" people I met? I know it would be much more interesting to actually know who I'm talking about, but I don't know the laws about naming actual people in books, especially if I reveal things that were shared with me in confidence. I have some really exciting stories I want to get out there, and the way I have planned to write the book, the first part of it would almost convert you to Mormon Fundamentalism if you were a Mormon, but then the last part would guide you logically out of it. Anyone have any helpful tips on writing a book like this?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: s4711 logged out ( )
Date: April 08, 2013 01:57PM

Is there a book like this already? If so, check it out and do it better.

If not, go into the future, check out your future book, and then come back and do exactly what you did in the future to write the book.

If that's too hard, I'm out of ideas. But from what I recall, you read more than enough to give you lots of material.

Good luck. I would read it--I have seen your posts and been fascinated by your journey.

You could always start with pieces designed for magazines and then collate your series of articles. In any case, I will be looking forward to anything you come up with.

Posted by: judyblue ( )
Date: April 08, 2013 02:06PM

Libel is a tricky area. I would recommend having a detailed synopsis of the book ready and then talking to a lawyer. They can let you know if anything you're planning to say in the book could potentially lead to a lawsuit.

Date: April 08, 2013 02:52PM

Thanks for the ideas. I'll see if I can find any post-Fundamentalism books, never heard of any though. Although there are a few post-New Age books which helped me that I'll for sure reference in the book. I think I'll plan on writing it all out as a version for my family to keep, then I'll have a lawyer help me decide what I can keep in it. I feel like the sooner I can write it all down to help others on a similar path, the sooner I can relax and start a new chapter in my life.

Posted by: GetTheLedZepOut ( )
Date: April 08, 2013 03:44PM

I agree that you. Should check the legal ramifications on it.

By the way, love the handle! Quixote one of my favs!

Date: April 08, 2013 03:58PM

Thanks! Don Quijote was a nickname my Spanish teacher gave me in high school because my head was always stuck in the clouds. Still is.

Posted by: Thomas S. Muenster ( )
Date: April 08, 2013 04:03PM

You should make an outline and then discuss it with someone who is an attorney.

There is no legal obligation to keep things secret unless you signed a contract saying that you would. However, breaking such confidence could have future repercussions for yourself.

You alone are the one who can decide whether or not it's worth doing.

If the people about whom you wish to write are public figures of any kind, they will almost certainly be unable to prevail in a lawsuit and, more than likely, would not launch such an initiative.

But I don't know your specifics so I would definitely recommend talking to an attorney. You'll need to know what you're going to write before doing so as not to waste everyone's time.

Date: April 08, 2013 04:11PM

I will for sure leave out rumors and anything that could be considered hearsay. I'll try and stick to factual things and make it clear what my opinions or conclusions are so that people can take the book as a whole more seriously.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: April 08, 2013 04:42PM

1. I also was known for "Dreaming the Impossible Dream".
2. Get the facts together with dates and names. Have your proofs of what you write. Truth is an absolute defense in libel.
3. Write it with names, dates, etc. Don't hold back. Blow them (TSCC) to hell. I've got a book about ready for the printer but it is not about TSCC. I do not leave out names, etc.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.