Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: JohnStockton12 ( )
Date: April 11, 2013 12:53AM

Hey guys,
I have been out of the church for about 4 months now. Sometimes its kinda rough realizing how much of your life and money you've wasted on the con-artist Joe Smith's scheme. I was wondering what coping skills you folks have used to help you get on with life? Especially those who have been on missions.
Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rd4jesus ( )
Date: April 11, 2013 12:56AM

Beer, Whiskey, and Rum. Okay, just kidding... sort of. I found another religion and I've become active in it. It's more about having a 1-on-1 relationship with God and not so much about following rules. I know a lot on here have found atheism. Just curious if you still believe in God, I know it's probably none of my business.

Date: April 11, 2013 12:57AM

If you need to talk to someone, you can email me at rogerdouglass33@yahoo.com and I will give you my personal cell number.

Date: April 11, 2013 12:58AM

I'm an RM - I served in Sao Paulo Brazil from 90 to 91 and waited for my visa in Tampa, FL from Dec 89 to March 90.

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: April 11, 2013 12:56AM

posting here is a good coping skill. It helps to talk to others that have experienced the same thing. I'm not an RM though but I was BIC and my family is still very TBM except for me.

Posted by: JohnStockton12 ( )
Date: April 11, 2013 12:59AM

I've read Robert Moody's, "Life After Life." That has helped me with my spirituality and a hope in a afterlife. But it still sucks to think that you've lost 2 years of your life to that cult. I kinda knew it wasn't true before my mission. I could tell there was something fishy going on. I just didn't want to let my family down.

Posted by: notsurewhattothink ( )
Date: April 11, 2013 01:03AM

RfM is my only real outlet besides talking to my wife. She and I served our missions (Japan, Cambodia). Where'd you serve? Always fun to compare and share experiences, that's also a good coping tool.

I find that I do a lot of things "anti" Mormon, just to break old habits and to cement in my mind that I wont be smitten down for taking a sip of wine, or burn in hell because I enjoy coffee.

Recently I made a donation to the local Buddist temple and said some chants for fun with the help of a monk.

Before that I threw away all my Mormon pictures and stuff away.

I also like to have a read on Mormonthink.com every once in a while.

That's just a few things I've done, but I think in general the most helpful is to realize that Mormonism being false isn't the end of the world, but rather, the beginning of a wonderful new set of possibilities and wonder. Sure I am very bitter towards the church, but I am so happy now that I am free and it makes the morning coffee that much sweeter.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2013 01:04AM by notsurewhattothink.

Posted by: No Mo ( )
Date: April 11, 2013 01:03AM

JohnStockton12 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ... I was wondering
> what coping skills you folks have used to help you
> get on with life? Especially those who have been
> on missions.

Sex and beer.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: April 11, 2013 03:37AM

Knowing there are others like you helps. Be patient with yourself and take it as it comes and you'll gradually recover and become a new more powerful version of you.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.