Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: April 11, 2013 02:49PM

The other evening, I was having dinner with a friend in a Macaroni Grill in Memphis and was just dying listening to the conversation in the booth behind me.

They were talking about "The Book of Mormon" coming to our Orpheum Theater Broadway Series in June of 2014. Over a year away (I hadn't even heard). One couple has season tickets and were saying that they have to renew their season tickets and that the other couple really needs to get some because it may be the only way to get tickets to The Book of Mormon. They said that it's supposed to be the highest in demand show they've ever had there and that even for season ticket holders, you can't swap another show for a second ticket to TBOM, like you have always been able to do. You can swap out of that one but can't swap into it because of the high demand they're expecting.

The conversation about the show escalated and I was getting the biggest kick out of their talk about Mormons. One guy obviously has the soundtrack and said he didn't think his wife would be able to handle the show because Baptists couldn't hear the words "magical f*@# frog." The other guy said, "well you'll probably have to revive her after Hasa Diga Ebowai, and the wife got all huffy saying that she's heard the songs and she's not as big a prude as he was making her out to be and she just hoped she didn't have to see anyone dancing in their magic underwear.

It's going to be interesting to see how it all plays out in Memphis, megachurch capital of the world. I will put some money away for when the individual tickets go on sale and hope I get lucky. It would be so fun to go with a group of my UU friends and laugh at the things they don't get.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: michael ( )
Date: April 11, 2013 04:23PM

The show is also coming to Atlanta. I'm waiting for tickets to go on sale.

Posted by: karin ( )
Date: April 11, 2013 04:33PM

that tickets are already sold out- except maybe some singe seats. They were not going to accept any out-of-country ticket purchasers (ie from the Buffalo area) to give torontonians a chance.

Many are hoping the show stays longer so they can get tickets too.

I found out that Les Miserables is coming to Toronto this fall and since I have to make a choice as I haven't yet won the lottery, I decided on Les Mis.

Posted by: fiona64 ( )
Date: April 11, 2013 06:15PM

karin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> I found out that Les Miserables is coming to
> Toronto this fall and since I have to make a
> choice as I haven't yet won the lottery, I decided
> on Les Mis.

Trust me, you won't want to miss that production. The absolutely divine Ramin Karimloo is playing Jean Valjean. http://www.raminkarimloo.com, just in case you don't know who he is.

Posted by: rain ( )
Date: April 11, 2013 05:04PM

We saw it in Seattle in January and had to buy the tickets many, many months in advance. They sold out within hours, I think. The demand was so great that it is going to return in 2014.

Posted by: alx71ut ( )
Date: April 11, 2013 05:07PM

It's about time that the Book of Mormon started flooding the earth, and not just Broadway.

"The time is long overdue for a massive flooding of the earth with the Book of Mormon .... In this age of the electronic media and the mass distribution of the printed word, God will hold us accountable if we do not now move the Book of Mormon in a monumental way .... We have the Book of Mormon, ..... we have the resources, and the world has the need. The time is now! .... I have a vision of homes alerted, of classes alive, and of pulpits aflame with the spirit of Book of Mormon messages ..... I have a vision of artists putting into film, drama, literature, music, and paintings great themes and great characters from the Book of Mormon .... the absolute need for us to move the Book of Mormon forward now in a marvelous manner. You must help with this burden and with this blessing .... Moses never entered the promised land. Joseph Smith never saw Zion redeemed. Some of us may not live long enough to see the day when the Book of Mormon floods the earth" (Church President Ezra Taft Benson, Oct 1988 General Conference)

https://www.lds.org/general-conference/1988/10/flooding-the-earth-with-the-book-of-mormon?lang=eng

Posted by: BAHAman ( )
Date: April 11, 2013 05:35PM

alx71ut Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's about time that the Book of Mormon started
> flooding the earth, and not just Broadway.
>
>
> "The time is long overdue for a massive flooding
> of the earth with the Book of Mormon .... In this
> age of the electronic media and the mass
> distribution of the printed word, God will hold us
> accountable if we do not now move the Book of
> Mormon in a monumental way .... We have the Book
> of Mormon, ..... we have the resources, and the
> world has the need. The time is now! .... I have
> a vision of homes alerted, of classes alive, and
> of pulpits aflame with the spirit of Book of
> Mormon messages ..... I have a vision of artists
> putting into film, drama, literature, music, and
> paintings great themes and great characters from
> the Book of Mormon .... the absolute need for us
> to move the Book of Mormon forward now in a
> marvelous manner. You must help with this burden
> and with this blessing .... Moses never entered
> the promised land. Joseph Smith never saw Zion
> redeemed. Some of us may not live long enough to
> see the day when the Book of Mormon floods the
> earth" (Church President Ezra Taft Benson, Oct
> 1988 General Conference)
>
>
> https://www.lds.org/general-conference/1988/10/flo
> oding-the-earth-with-the-book-of-mormon?lang=eng

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: April 11, 2013 05:37PM

+1

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: April 11, 2013 06:19PM

This could go down as the first "Prophecy" that came true!!!!!!!!!

Holy gawd, the church is troo!

Posted by: Brethren,adieu ( )
Date: April 11, 2013 06:44PM

Hah! Yes, but somehow I don't think that's what ETB had in mind! LOL!

Posted by: destiny ( )
Date: April 12, 2013 10:11AM

I said I'd go back to the church when I see just one prophecy come true. Crap, it's happening.

Posted by: stillsmallvoice ( )
Date: April 11, 2013 06:39PM

I just watched the movie "This is 40" this weekend. When Paul Rudd is in his daughters bedroom and they are talking about what cool music is and they are dancing. There is a picture on her wall of the Book of Mormon musical. It made me chuckle.

Date: April 11, 2013 06:47PM

This needs to come out on DVD. There's no chance in hell I'll ever be able to see it in person. Does anyone know if that's happening anytime soon?

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: April 11, 2013 06:47PM

I have seen the musical (on you tube), and I'm delighted that someone finally made something entertaining out of the blandest, most poorly written book ever.

Of course, the musical doesn't use the lousy stories in the book. It's all cultural satire and funny as hell.

Date: April 11, 2013 06:48PM

I didn't think of youtube. I will try that

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: April 11, 2013 08:22PM

I was lucky enough to snag golden tickets to go see the show in August. Looking forward to it!

Maybe I should show the signs and tokens to the ticket checker so he/she can mess with people. "What is that?"

Posted by: celeste ( )
Date: April 12, 2013 12:41AM

There are tix available in Chicago, but man is it expensive. The cheap seats are over $60 and the main floor is over $200 a ticket.

Posted by: jl ( )
Date: April 12, 2013 10:16AM

Hell yeah, flood the earth with BOM...all the way from Broadway!!!!

Posted by: JeffH ( )
Date: April 12, 2013 10:37AM

found out last summer 2012 that it would be here in Cleveland in June 2013. For a whole season of seven shows, including the Book of Mormon, I paid around $120 per seat. My wife and I have seen some great shows already, and I haven't even gotten to the Book of Mormon yet. I assume it's sold out now and probably not cheap to get through StubHub or the like. I expect it to go down as one of my best purchases ever.

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: April 12, 2013 10:55AM

The Quran's not as silly as the book of mormon. It wouldn't be that funny..

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: April 12, 2013 12:21PM

That's what's great about the book of mormon. It doesn't have to be twisted in order to be silly filth. It's silly filth already.

Besides, Trey & Matt have already done stuff on Islam and Mohammed. They're obviously not scared.

It's just that the book of mormon is much better source material for comedy, that's all..

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: April 12, 2013 11:04AM

Actually, South Park has done a couple of things about Islam and their religion already, including one about people freaking out about Mohamed cartoons, that caused people to freak out, even though they went out of their way to never actually show Mohamed.

Posted by: charles, buddhist punk ( )
Date: April 12, 2013 11:12AM

Posted by: Hervey Willets ( )
Date: April 12, 2013 10:52AM

There is a scene where Elders Price and Cunningham get ready for bed, and strip down to the old long-john garments. No dancing in them though, but a nice chorus line of dancing mishies in sequinned vests.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.