Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: warrior princess ( )
Date: April 17, 2013 08:19PM

Ran into an old neighbor since my divorce from Peter Psychopath priesthood. And if she could have acted any more superior and full of herself!!!! She could hardly be seen talking to such a lowlife as myself!!!! And I was thinking..um u never have married in the temple at all. I did. Then, I saw a distant relative whom I had stopped to do something kind for her father who is quite old. Not a thank you. In fact she could not even bother to say hello. Just turned up her superior little nose and snubbed me. Why? Is it I dont like mormons any more? Oh excuse me! Is my life not molding into your required little cookie cutter world? I have put up with this crap from neighbors since my divorce. And all through high school in Utah, I put up with the "mormons with money are superior and more loved by god than mormons without bullcrap! Did I mention that I am done with mormons? Lol. Well thx for ketting me vent.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: scooter ( )
Date: April 17, 2013 08:20PM

make that half full of ferrets.

Posted by: Good Witch ( )
Date: April 18, 2013 10:24AM

is having ferrets or being half-full of ferrets as bad as having a gerbil up your....?

Posted by: bordergirl ( )
Date: April 17, 2013 08:35PM

They are little people, very tiny little people, with little minds.

They have to do something to make themselves feel bigger and more important.

See them for what they are and pity them.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: April 17, 2013 08:56PM

They are brainwashed into believing that forfeiting their individual right to make decisions based on the best interests of their families is such a great sacrifice that it entitles them to "exaltation." (which we used to think meant polygamy and your own planet to have minions praying to you, etc, but only baby Jesus knows what it means on any given day).

Exaltation: the state of being exalted.

This is the grandiosity you are noticing. If I'm destined to be Queen of Heaven on Futureworld, and you're note, why can't I feel superior now? WHy wait?

Anagrammy

Posted by: left4good ( )
Date: April 17, 2013 09:22PM

They are told from when they enter Primary at 18 months old that they--and ONLY they--have the one truth.

From the time they are 12, they are told they are "special spirits," the chosen generation, saved for these last days (which have, curiously, persisted for nearly 200 years).

As adults, if they pay and obey, they are privileged to participate in secret I mean sacred ordinances for which 99.8% of humanity is "unworthy."

I'm not surprised they think of themselves as superior. I'm even less surprised they're not.

Posted by: Infinite Dreams ( )
Date: April 18, 2013 04:26AM

Except, I was told in the cult that I was nothing. So, I never had that superiority complex.

Date: April 18, 2013 11:36AM

You are right. Many of us were treated rotten no matter how good we were or how hard we tried. This must be one of the double binds of mormonism. To elevate themselves above others so highly that they can look down their noses and feel they are superior. Or to be more compassionate with a broader truer view of humanity and be deemed inferior. Or to be so well hidden behind a phony mask of mormism that you are immune.

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: April 18, 2013 11:54AM

It's very common for mormons to see them themselves as special, obedient "Saturday's Warriors," yet continue to have low self-esteem from the constant brow-beating they get from the church.

Posted by: ExMoNemo ( )
Date: April 18, 2013 12:19PM

They're more like "Saturday's Edsel's" when you think about it!

Posted by: skeptifem ( )
Date: April 18, 2013 02:01PM

jpt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's very common for mormons to see them
> themselves as special, obedient "Saturday's
> Warriors," yet continue to have low self-esteem
> from the constant brow-beating they get from the
> church.

That is actually pretty common in narcissists. They can't stand feeling lesser or bad so they just invent some lie about themselves to feel superior. They get really confused when everyone else lives in the real world instead of their fantasy realm of being perfect.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: April 17, 2013 09:29PM

One of the first things that hit me when I discovered the truth about the Church was that I wasn't special anymore. I was just any ole person on the planet, like everybody else.

Then I was shocked that I felt that way. I'd no idea how much I felt set-apart from the rest of the world. There really is an us-versus-them feeling within Mormonism.

Now I'm happy to be included amongst the regular folk.

Posted by: Cowardly lion ( )
Date: April 17, 2013 09:54PM

DEAR WP,so sorry u have to deal with 2 demenional people like that. Ive been divorced from my peter priesthood for about 18yrs.And Its true they treat us differantly,Im not sure,But I have a couple of theories. 1st.(a dogcatcher told me this as she was coming about my beloved dog,the nieghbors always called the dogcatcher)She said:married women are afraid of div. women cuz their afraid of losing their husbands.Married men dontlike single women around cuz it reminds them of what their wives can do!

Posted by: Cowardly lion ( )
Date: April 17, 2013 10:23PM

People just dont seem to know where to peg divorced women. Its almost like theyre afraid of unattached women!?! Women in good marrages cant understand why a person would get of a marrage.And I wonder if women who are in bad marrages are jealous they cat bring themselves to get out! In anycase, yah Ive heard plenty of rude comments from people.Next time ask yourself;Are they going to pay my rent? take care of me when im sick. be there for me in other cases? If the answer is no,WHY CARE about them!?!

Posted by: laurel ( )
Date: April 17, 2013 10:05PM

They really believe they are the "chosen" people. The arrogance will make you laugh at some point----when your kids are no longer involved.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: April 17, 2013 10:08PM

What helps me when they act like that is to laugh and say to myself "Ooooo - you are going to hell for behaving that way." Because think about it. If following Jesus is the way to stay out of hell, acting like that is a big middle finger to his teachings. If following someone else (Muhammad, Buddha etc.) is the way to salvation, then they going to hell for following Jesus. If there is no God, they are spending their only life Mormon so they are already IN hell. There is no way they can win. Their own beliefs condemn them. They are screwed.

Posted by: Lou Louis ( )
Date: April 17, 2013 10:23PM

Shirt + Tie + Perceived Power = LOOK OUT

Posted by: laurel ( )
Date: April 18, 2013 01:49AM

Rolling my eyes at nut jobs usually sends the message.

Posted by: ex-extrovert ( )
Date: April 18, 2013 03:31AM

After my divorce, I gave my Mormon neighbors the benefit of the doubt. I thought I could still be friends with the people I had brought dinners to, had babysat their children while they were away on vacation, watched their houses, plants, and pets for free, played the piano for their performances, etc. Our children grew up together. I left very quietly, with no explanation. No one ever asked me why I left, so I didn't talk about it.

I won't go into detail, but I was treated like dirt at first. Mormons came to my door, threatening me that bad things would happen if I didn't start attending and paying tithing again. They made me cry many times. I was sick at the time, and that was why I quit my callings. The Mormons don't like quitters. No one ever called to see how I was doing, for all those months of struggling, on leave from my job with no pay. I could not pay tithing, and that was all they cared about. I suppose Mormons like that get away with being rude to other divorced, "unprotected" women who are alone--but not with me. The harassment was making me sicker. When we officially resigned, I could come home from the hospital treatments, to my dog, and a snack I had prepared, and my cozy pajamas, and watch TV or a movie, until the pain subsided. I survived much better without them.

Who needs them.

They make life worse.

Besides being pushy, narcissistic, and pathetic, Mormons are just plain rude! No matter how rude they are, no matter how in-my-face they are, I am cool and overly polite, and explain that I'm running late and have deadlines. Hell! That's the same thing the VT's and HT's said all those years: we're too busy and important to take time to bother with you, so take our excuses and apologies, and count this as an official visit. I once asked an obnoxious woman that to please go ahead and report successful visits with me for the whole year, and stop this dancing around.

I tried--really. I truly dislike most Mormons, now, and avoid them like the plague. Yes, it is their conceit and arrogance that annoys me the most. They're clueless.

Posted by: jl ( )
Date: April 18, 2013 07:40AM

For all we know,

1. they think they have the monopoly of "TRUTH"

2. they think, when Jesus comes again, they are the only ones that He will gladly receive;

3. they think their Profit has a direct hotline with Gawd.

See, if you have TRUTH, Jesus, and Gawd all for yourself, how can anyone be better than you?

Posted by: Cali Sally ( )
Date: April 18, 2013 08:02AM

Oh, so true. Mormons have a "sure and certain knowledge of", well EVERYTHING.

Date: April 18, 2013 11:57AM

Intrresting how they know everything. They rely on the spirit to know it. And much of the spirit to know it. And yet much of the time they dont believe each others told spiritual experiences. I find that interesting.

Posted by: iris ( )
Date: April 18, 2013 08:32AM

Their behavior across the board--to the single and married--is totally clueless. From the "priesthood holders" and RS leaders--they are only there to guide you back to into "full activity" and anything less cannot be comprehended. We had a friend take over home teaching us after we stopped attending--he said he would look out for us by letting the PH leadership know we didn't want drop-ins, or any contact really. We've known him and his wife for 30 years and their sons are the same ages as our children so went through school together. One time they were over to our home at Christmas time, his wife was in the kitchen talking with me and he was visiting with DH in the family room. He asked my husband if he was stopping me from attending church. He said no. We had a good laugh about that question--but it bothered me that he didn't ask openly--when we were together--why we both weren't attending. Another time we got together, his wife had a meeting so she wasn't there. We had gone for yogurt and were sitting at the table in the little yogurt place enjoying visiting when he stopped and said, "You don't ever have to be embarrassed or ashamed of not attending church. I still like you." We were both stunned and didn't know what to say. We quickly diverted the conversation. Indoctrination into the church can be very thorough.

Posted by: weepingwillow ( )
Date: April 18, 2013 11:46AM

I always thought, when thinking of my non member friends, "You poor thing, if only you knew the truth."
I felt so special to "know" and belong to the club.

Date: April 18, 2013 12:02PM

Haha!!!! That is exactly how it is...a feeling of superiority and also a sense of having great compassion for others. lol That is atleast when in love bombing mode. Perhaps when the compassion for the lost is removed is when they are unbearable full of themselves jerks.

Posted by: karin ( )
Date: April 18, 2013 12:04PM

that's funny! I used to say the exact opposite to myself:

you lucky people that don't have the 'truth'! You can do what you want, eat what you want, go to whatever church you want and you won't be punished for it. You'll just be baptized for the dead, after having fun on earth.

Me, I have to do all the stuff they say, when they say, in order to Maayyybeee get into the celestial kingdom IF i'm mostly perfect.

I figured my non lds friends were luckier than me. How odd, eh?

Date: April 18, 2013 12:59PM

I would venture to guess that is one reason u are in this firum .Instead of in mo land. You were really thinking.

Posted by: anonymask ( )
Date: April 18, 2013 01:46PM

Hells bells people listen to yourselves..... talk about judgemental! All your doing is judging. You seem to have the feelings of us vs them, just as much as the tbm, only reversed.

Posted by: anontmask ( )
Date: April 18, 2013 01:51PM

Weepinwillow, you said you felt like "oh you poor things, if only you knew the truth", about non members..... well sounds like you still feel that superiority, only about members now. Let's all get off our freeking high horses.

Posted by: skeptifem ( )
Date: April 18, 2013 02:04PM

anontmask Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Weepinwillow, you said you felt like "oh you poor
> things, if only you knew the truth", about non
> members..... well sounds like you still feel that
> superiority, only about members now. Let's all
> get off our freeking high horses.

...because feeling bad for people who aren't in a MLM scam is exactly the same as feeling bad for people who are? Are you listening to yourself? One is an example of feeling bad because someone isn't as fabulously wonderful as you, the other is feeling bad for someone because they are probably going to get hurt. If you can't figure out the difference you have problems.

Posted by: Good Witch ( )
Date: April 18, 2013 01:56PM

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: April 18, 2013 02:02PM

I suppose it depends on the person. I have known a few folks (both LDS and non LDS) that are "full of themselves" - whatever that means.

However, those that I associate with (loved ones and friends) are decent folks, non judgmental (to my face anyhow :-) and are reliable friends that I keep in contact with on some level.
My husband was a kind, gentle, humble person. That's the kind of LDS person I lived with and the kind I know best.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.