Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Cali Sally ( )
Date: April 19, 2013 11:23AM

Had a talk with mother about this year's taxes and her rather large donation to LDS, Inc. Reminded her that TSCC (a multi-billion dollar conglomerate) built a mall rather than using money to help the needy or even their own missionaries and members. Explained that all the $ she gives goes directly to Utah and isn't used one whit to support her local economy. Mom is not happy about any of this. But when I suggested her donations, if they must go to a church, would do much more good to help the needy if she gave it to the Salvation Army. I could not get a response.

I don't get her attachment. She knows TSCC doesn't hardly ever acknowledge Christ on either Easter or Christmas and it bothers her. Somehow she still thinks LDS, Inc. needs her money.

Can anyone here explain to me what gives?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Bite Me ( )
Date: April 19, 2013 11:31AM

At the end of the day, it's... a cult.

Posted by: charles, not logged in ( )
Date: April 19, 2013 11:31AM

Operant conditioning reinforced by positive stimulus. What she doesn't know is that the stimulus or perceived reward is all BS promises in this and the afterlife. When I started questioning and seething inside at age 36, I automatically reached for the tithing envelope every payday. This took years and years of training beginning from my teen years.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: April 19, 2013 11:34AM

and then when she needs money, comes to us. I won't turn her down because I help her twin brother financially. I see them as both having their own addictions.

She gives way too much in FO.

BUT she hates the mall. She won't discuss it. She did go to it with my aunt at GC in October, but under duress.

I've found it doesn't do any good to discuss her donations.

Posted by: frogdogs ( )
Date: April 19, 2013 11:44AM

I have pretty much despaired of my TBM mom ever coming to a realization that mormonism is a fraud. She is one person in particular (due to remaining married to my ex-mo dad all these decades) who has had ample access to all the material she would ever need to come to such a conclusion. She's refused to avail herself of any of them.

Over the years I've read a few things that go into some of the psychology of how we tend to over-value and refrain from criticizing actions, beliefs, paths taken once we've made up our minds and especially if we've invested a lot of time, effort and money. It's intensely painful to realize it was all for nothing, and it was all wasted on something foolish, fraudulent, hurtful, wrong, etc. So we do the cog-dis tango over and over rather than go through that pain.

This was one of the best books I read that covered cognitive dissonance spread over a wide variety of topics. Highly recommended, and useful when trying to understand why those presented with a blinding light refuse to even glance in its direction:

http://www.amazon.com/Mistakes-Were-Made-But-Not/dp/0156033909/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1366385694&sr=8-1&keywords=Mistakes+Were+Made

Posted by: Cali Sally ( )
Date: April 19, 2013 11:56AM

Thanks everyone. I see I am not alone. The book sounds enlightening.

Posted by: presbyterian ( )
Date: April 19, 2013 06:38PM

If she's physically able, maybe volunteer with her at a homeless shelter or something so she can see how the donated money is used.

Posted by: mysid ( )
Date: April 19, 2013 09:30PM

I don't recommend giving to the Salvation Army. Their track record toward LGBT people is less than stellar.

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: April 19, 2013 11:39PM

I've heard other people say that the salvation army is bad. Can someone explain why? Are they an actual church? If they do treat LGBT people bad then they can fuck off in my opinion. I do not tolerate anyone that treats LGBT people bad. But I'm just curious. I know I can google this but I'd like to hear from someone with experience.

Posted by: presbyterian ( )
Date: April 20, 2013 02:34AM

It was a tempest in a teapot. My son was up in arms about it until he did some research. The Salvation Army, as a church, maintains the right to hire people who adhere to certain beliefs. They also don't widely ordain women. According to my son, they offer their charitable services to all, gay or not.
From Wikipedia:
Some in the United States have alleged that The Salvation Army discriminates against lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) individuals in their hiring practices.[40][41] The Salvation Army states they do not "discriminate against hiring gays and lesbians for the majority of its roughly 55,000 jobs".[42] Because The Salvation Army is a church, Title VII of the U.S. Civil Rights Act of 1964 allows it to inquire into religious beliefs in its hiring practices.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: April 20, 2013 02:42AM

The weirdness comes into play if you join their "army."

The rules are, well, cult-like, and they don't care for teh ghey much:

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/The_Salvation_Army

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.