Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: exbishfromportland ( )
Date: April 22, 2013 10:18PM

You don't have to do anything they ask you to do. They have no power over you. Never forget that. They assume power. Are you still sealed to an ex-spouse? You don't have to be with them in the eternities, because this is all fiction. Still getting bugged by members because they are moving too slowly on getting your name off the records? If some calls you or comes to your door, just say "not interested" and hang up or close the door. Take it from an ex-bishop, as far as the church is concerned, "resigning", in their eyes is simply a member requested excommunication, it's just called something different. Is that horrifying? Don't let it be. I'm hoping they excommunicate me. It's not a dishonor. It's a badge of honor. You didn't do anything wrong. You saved your life. Once you decided you are done, you are free. Just keep saying it: They have no power over me. I am free.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rationalguy ( )
Date: April 22, 2013 10:41PM

Being one who lives in Orem, UT, has a TBM wife and is surrounded by Mormons, it took me a while to realize that. I'm that one guy in the neighborhood that they have no power over. They hate that.

Posted by: cheezus ( )
Date: April 22, 2013 10:43PM

Yep, it is a mental jurisdiction thing, and you can opt out any time.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: April 22, 2013 10:46PM

A lot of the struggles we read about here are because the person is automatically accepting their authority and power.

Once you take your power back and own it, it changes your whole attitude and behavior towards the LDS Church.

Posted by: memyself ( )
Date: April 22, 2013 10:47PM

Thank you!..This is what I have been saying!!! and doing..I have just one friend in the cult,,,I finally told her today..its our friendship or them using her to get to me..and she got it!..she is a dear friend and yes I do trust her to respect me and my decision.

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: April 22, 2013 11:12PM

They have no power over me. They have no power over me ...

Posted by: Bradley ( )
Date: April 22, 2013 11:12PM

I'll repeat my comment from another thread. Leaving the TSCC is like leaving a 5-year old's tea party. You just take off your tutu and walk away.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: April 22, 2013 11:16PM

Bradley Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'll repeat my comment from another thread.
> Leaving the TSCC is like leaving a 5-year old's
> tea party. You just take off your tutu and walk
> away.

LOL That really made me laugh out loud.

I don't care what they want to call it. Self-excommunication, or whatever. I already know they've got nuthin'.

Posted by: Awake In Tucson ( )

Through dangers untold and hardships unnumbered I have fought my way here to the castle...

Posted by: rqt ( )
Date: April 23, 2013 05:57AM

To take back my mind you have stolen...

Posted by: ambivalent exmo ( )
Date: April 23, 2013 06:22AM

Ahh hahahaa! Perfect:)

Posted by: PHIL ( )

Ive been a member over 35 years served a mission etc and always felt that the church had no more power over me then i allowed it to have. Have i failed to be properly brainwashed ?

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: April 23, 2013 08:52AM

If you weren't properly brainwashed it would be harder to appreciate 35 years of adulthood as a Mormon.

Posted by: albertasaurus ( )
Date: April 22, 2013 11:20PM

I'll be honest I wish someone would bug me. I'm still pissed and itching for a fight. I've been off the radar though haha. That works for me too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2013 11:21PM by albertasaurus.

Posted by: memyself ( )
Date: April 22, 2013 11:22PM

lol...epic failure on the brainwashing phil

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: April 23, 2013 06:06AM

After a terrible encounter with a bishop who falsely accused me based on rumors from people I know who spread them, I got in my car and drove home fiercely angry. I asked myself "Who does he think he is?"

The answer was clear: he was nobody. Just some busybody old man that I allow into my life. Once I decided not to allow him into my life, his power vanished. I refused to return to church, refused to return his calls, and I disappeared from the ward. I tried going to other wards, but the spell had been broken. I simply no longer believed that my soul was in their hands.

I started reading books like "No Man" later than year, and the rest is history.

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: April 23, 2013 09:34AM

Something similar happened to me.... and of course he couldn't reveal his sources, but there I was, defending myself in front of a guy who was so full of himself and so full of rumors, and obviously and seriously lacking in any type of inspiration.

Yes, the answer was clear. I have never let another church "leader" have any type of authority over me since then.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: April 23, 2013 06:43AM

Practice not being humble.

Practice not justifying yourself.

Practice not seeking approval.

Practice not needing to be liked.

Practice not using their ecclesiastical titles.

Practice not being patient with their intrusions.

Practice not dignifying their baloney with a response.

Practice not caring.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: April 23, 2013 06:47AM

I've met exmos who've been out for decades who still don't fully understand that we owe mormon near-strangers nothing.

They're not authorities or leaders. They're likely not as smart, successful, or stable as most exmos.

They won't be impressed or like us better if we play along with their expectations or thank them for unannounced visits, cookies or invitations. We don't owe them special curtesy or consideration. We don't need to attend bish meetings or invite mormons into our homes unless it suits our needs.

We owe morgbots no more than we owe JWs or Christian Science members.

Anyone who let's others dictate their underwear doesn't deserve extra special respect from us.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: April 23, 2013 07:05AM

Cheryl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> We owe morgbots no more than we owe JWs or
> Christian Science members.

And we owe Mormons no more than MORMONS owe JWs or Christian Science members.

"Tell me, Bob (the EQP on your doorstep), how would you react to a Catholic priest or Baptist minister showing up at your house claiming to have jurisdiction over your life? Because that's how I view your visit."

Posted by: jong1064 ( )
Date: April 23, 2013 06:47AM

Knowledge is power. Now that I know about the different versions of the first vision, Book of Abraham, Kinderhook plates, Joseph Smith's pedophilia and adultery, problems with BofM, etc., those who choose to believe utter nonsense will never have power over me again.

Posted by: Philipa Farewell ( )
Date: April 23, 2013 07:12AM

How do you take back power you never felt you had? I have been letting others control me my whole life! My parents, school and church. This is so scary for me to take back my life after 36 years of growing up Mormon and knowing nothing else.

Posted by: weepingwillow ( )
Date: April 23, 2013 09:24AM

I really needed this. Thank you.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: April 23, 2013 09:42AM

Thanks! Good to see you here. Did you quit whilst serving as bishop? I go to Portland quite frequently because my TBM sister lives there. Her husband finally quit, and it has been hard on her to see me, a son, and now her husband quit. I think a couple of years ago her husband said that a couple of wards in their stake had to consolidate. (They live in the Milwaukie area near Bob's Red Mill.)

Posted by: SantaZelph ( )
Date: April 23, 2013 10:01AM

Thank you exbishfromportland. You just wrote the perfect TV commercial!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2013 10:24AM by leopardman.

Posted by: larryjohn ( )
Date: April 23, 2013 11:59AM

Same thing happen to me but it busted up a marrige and thats hard to take. Accused of something but not even told why and termianted from attending the ward for 7 years. Found it related to apostasy for blowing the whistle on the racist mob that pertitioned to immigration and had my wife deported back to her war torn stricken country. The church wanted to sweep it under the carpet and not rock the boat..

gutless cowads, yet stood over me this bishop who went onto this day as stake pres god forbid, marched me out the door backward.. I was gutless in my rightousness to respond and regreted that as I could of demanded in writing why I was being removed but did nothing but obey and left tho angry as shit.
Next week came back drunk almost and called him asshole in front of everyone and someone said you cant say that but I was releived I did tho for 7 years I continued not only shunned now by the bishop as was the case but all the members gossip about it and regarded me as a dangerous apostate...

Larry.

Date: April 23, 2013 11:24PM

Glad the advice helped a bit. To respond to a couple of posts - no, I did not quit while I was serving as bishop. After I was released as bishop I served on the high council for three years. After I told my wife and kids, I sat down and sent an email to the stake pres, told I was done effective immediately. Odd thing was, a bishop in our ward I had served as a counselor for...he bailed a couple of years earlier. My successor as bishop bailed out before I did. So, three bishops from the same ward in three years. Shortly before the first bishop left the church the ward had over 200 active members. Now they have only about 75. I was HC rep to the other ward meeting in the same building. They were already hurting. By now they must be down to branch size.
One bit of advice to those itching for a fight. I know how you feel, but don't let them hold your anger hostage either. It takes awhile, but find peace.

Date: April 23, 2013 11:28PM

One more thing - how do you take back power you never had? I would say that you must realize that only who has power over you is you.
I hope you've gotten through this experience still believing in God, because I've come to realize that the true God doesn't want power over us either. He has all power. He just wants us to accept his love and be happy. That is all.

Posted by: twojedis ( )
Date: April 23, 2013 11:40PM

My hubby told me about several high up people in Portland leaving in the recent past. There seems to be a flood of people up here taking a hike from TSCC.

Date: April 24, 2013 02:43AM

Oh, one other thought. A few months after we left the church we went to the funeral of a friend. We were sitting next to some people who used to be in the ward. The husband was very surprised to see us and said: "We heard you two had gotten a divorce."
Guess if you leave the church it couldn't possibly be because it isn't true. Must have been because someone had an affair and got a divorce.
And we went to another memorial a few days ago. When you leave the church you also acquire the power of invisibility to many other Mormons. It's amazing. Haha...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.