Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Gay Philosopher ( )
Date: April 27, 2013 12:55AM

Hi,

I ask myself: What do I believe?

Metaphysically, I'm a realist. I believe that there's a real world outside of myself that will continue to exist when I'm not aware of it (e.g. when I'm sleeping, or after I die). I further believe that human reality is socially constructed largely through the power of language and memory, aided by writing and the passing on of tradition from one generation to the next through enculturation, storytelling, religion, modeling behavior, and so on.

Epistemically, I believe in a correspondence theory of truth, more or less. This means that I believe that the world is approximately like how I perceive it to be. Better yet, I believe that it's theoretically possible to mathematically model the world. Physicists model various phenomena through the equations of mechanics. In principle, I believe that it should be possible to model most, if not all, phenomena mathematically, but complexity prevents us from doing this. I further believe that our ability to know anything is extremely limited due to the constraints imposed on us by our human bodies.

Morally, I believe in deontology: duties and rights. I believe that we have a duty to act so as to provide for ourselves and, if possible, to make others' lives easier, or, at least, to do no harm, and to prevent harm from befalling others whenever we can. We have a right to be treated with concern and appreciation, to be valued as fellow travelers on this human journey. I recognize that sociopathy and all manner of abuse are real, and thus believe in acting for the greater good by resisting evil wherever we find it with all our might. I believe in the supreme value of life, from which all other values are derived.

Aesthetically, I find the music of David Bowie, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Peter Gabriel, and The Cure to be hauntingly beautiful, even "spiritual," (which I believe simply means emotional and poignant, if not sometimes comforting). I love the drama of Plato's dialogues, and the profound richness of Hermann Hesse and Thomas Mann's novels. I adore the beauty of loving, highly knowledgeable, mature, and wise souls. By soul, I simply mean one person within a community of persons.

I don't have a belief about whether or not consciousness might exist without a human body. I hope so, but I simply don't know. Due to epistemic (limitations in what I can know) grounds, to believe that consciousness doesn't depend on matter entails something that I simply don't know to be true. But near-death experiences suggest exactly that. Not only do I not know, but I don't have a basis for believing any particular proposition about this. The jury is out, so to speak. What I tend to personally believe during any particular day--or minute--fluctuates with my mood. A drink of wine with friends might predispose me to believing that something more might be possible. Anxiety might make me believe that we're merely meat bodies destined for oblivion at death. Between blind faith in something more, and existential terror, what we call life--stories, feelings, experiences, and decisions--plays out.

Most importantly, I believe that I'm an insignificant speck in the grand scheme of things, yet paradoxically, that my feelings, thoughts, and actions matter. They have a ripple effect. We're all in this life together. What we feel, think, and do affects others. The way that the world is is up to us. I want to create beauty, meaning, love, and joy, with my fellow beings who wish the same.

Thanks,

Steve

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Uncle Dale ( )
Date: April 27, 2013 01:54AM

Gay Philosopher Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't have a belief about whether or not
> consciousness might exist without a human body. I
> hope so, but I simply don't know....

It's an interesting question -- and I do not think that medical
Science has yet provided a hard and fast answer.

I've conversed with people here in this forum who are convinced
that human consciousness is simply a product of brain activity
and that once the brain slows down and stops working, then
consciousness instantaneously ceases.

Not yet being fully convinced of that, I'm curious to know
what the outcomes will be, of continued research into that
matter -- and into human resuscitation after seeming brain death.

UD

Posted by: twojedis ( )
Date: April 27, 2013 02:08AM

Most importantly, I believe that I'm an insignificant speck in the grand scheme of things, yet paradoxically, that my feelings, thoughts, and actions matter. They have a ripple effect. We're all in this life together. What we feel, think, and do affects others. The way that the world is is up to us. I want to create beauty, meaning, love, and joy, with my fellow beings who wish the same.

Love this!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.