Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Hayduke ( )
Date: April 27, 2013 09:08PM

So I received my letter I'm off the roles, but there is no mention of my kids. Can I assume their names have also been removed or can I assume that TSCC still lays claim to them?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: April 27, 2013 09:17PM

No

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: April 27, 2013 09:34PM

When my husband and I got out confirmation letters (almost 10 years ago), our kids didn't get mentioned, either. I meant to check on it for years, but never did.

However, before our oldest went to college, she wanted to make SURE she was off, so she wrote her own letter, but in the process found out that she was never officially considered a member because she was never baptized.

I believe they count the unbaptized ones, but they aren't official members.

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: April 27, 2013 10:44PM

How old are they? If they are under 8 then you need to contact the local ward clerk to have them removed from the ward directory.

If they are over 8 you need to follow up and get them officially resigned.

Posted by: Hayduke ( )
Date: April 27, 2013 10:56PM

I should have mentioned that they are over 8 but never baptized. Two were blessed, though. BC, suppose that matters?

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: April 27, 2013 11:23PM

Sorry - I should have differentiated baptized or not.

So if they were never baptized then there is no need to have them resign - it is meaningless - resignation just means they remove the baptism date / confirmation date from the database and set them to unbaptized.

However, you still may want to check with the ward clerk of the ward if you are concerned about them remaining on the primary class roles. If they leave you and your kids alone it may not be worth the bother.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: April 28, 2013 08:42AM

Blessed children are considered to be mormons at an entry level. It's similar to the a and m priesthood status.

Sometimes the morg leave blessed unbaptized member alone sometimes they don't. Many wards give these names to missionaries who go after these people. Sometimes they do it when they're still minor children and sometimes they go after them when they are young adults.

If blessed or formerly attending BIC children don't want this kind of contact or if they want their resignation to be finalized, they need to resign.

Posted by: memyself ( )
Date: April 28, 2013 09:53AM

Thats scary...If an adult contacted my child without my consent there would be hell to pay..gawd those ppl have no personal boundaries and are truly disgusting

Posted by: memyself ( )
Date: April 27, 2013 11:12PM

Over 8 and never baptized..my understanding is they were never official members:)

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: April 28, 2013 08:09AM

The mormon church claims them as beginner level members and they often go after them as they approach age eight. Then they sometimes give the names to missionaries for stalking purposes at age nine and above.

Ask any young mormon child what church they belong to and they'll tell you mormon or LDS. Ask any adult mormon and they'll tell you the same.

Baptism just takes young mormons to a higher more accountable level within the church.

So do not believe that the mormon church leaves children alone who were not baptized. Sometimes they do, but often they do not.

There are many cases of mormons arranging for lessons and church activities without first asking the parents. If you want to protect your minor children from harassment, you'll need to see that they officially resign and you'll also need to be aware that resignation is not an ironclad guarantee that the mormons will stay away from them.

Posted by: ripley ( )
Date: April 28, 2013 10:26AM

Another question, do you have TBM family who don't respect boundaries? Because if you do, you can have names removed and all that and the TBM family may still give the missionaries your names and contact information. They may even specifically give the missionaries instructions to contact your children not you if they think you will stand in the way.

I'm not going to bother with getting my name removed or any of that because I don't think it will make any difference. My mother has on several occasions sent the missionaries round... once she even got the mp in the area to call me. On one occasion when she didn't have my most current contact information because I had just moved, she sent the missionaries to the "in case of emergency" contact I'd given her. Needless to say she doesn't get that much information any more.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.