Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: MyTempleNameIsJoan ( )
Date: April 28, 2013 08:18PM

I began reading Jeremy Runnels questions to the CES instructor which I found on this board today. It was interesting but I always have a problem with one of the apologetic lines, and Mr. Runnels uses the same line in his format.

quote:

>>>3. The Book of Mormon includes mistranslated biblical passages that were later changed in Joseph Smith’s translation of the bible. These Book of Mormon verses should match the inspired JST version instead of the KJV version that Joseph later fixed. A typical example of the differences between the KJV, the BOM, and the JST:
3 Nephi 13:25-27:
25: …Therefore I say unto you, take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than meat, and the body than raiment?
26: Behold the fowls of the air, for they sow not, neither do they reap nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they?
27: Which of you by taking thought can add one cubit unto his stature?

>Matthew 6:25-27 (from the King James Version bible – not the JST):
25: Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than meat, and the body than raiment?
26: Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they?
27: Which of you by taking thought can add one cubit unto his stature?

>The above passages are identical, which is understandable as Christ may have said the same thing to both groups of people in the Old world as well as the New world.

>Let’s look at the JST version of the above identical passages: Joseph Smith Translation of the same passages in the LDS bible for Matthew 6:25-27:

>25: And, again, I say unto you, Go ye into the world, and care not for the world: for the world will hate you, and will persecute you, and will turn you out of their synagogues.
26: Nevertheless, ye shall go forth from house to house, teaching the people; and I will go before you.
27: And your heavenly Father will provide for you, whatsoever things ye need for food, what ye shall eat; and for raiment, what ye shall wear or put on.

>Joseph Smith corrected the bible. In doing so, he also corrected the same identical passage in the Book of Mormon. The Book of Mormon is “the most correct book” and was translated a mere decade before the JST. The Book of Mormon was not corrupted over time and did not need correcting. How is it that the Book of Mormon still has the incorrect passage and does not match the JST in the first place?>>>end quote.

The line I have a problem with is, "The above passages are identical, which is understandable as Christ may have said the same thing to both groups of people in the Old world as well as the New world."

I've heard apologists say the same thing and I can't agree no matter how hard I look at it from their point of view.

The above passages are identical, which Mormon apologists claim is understandable as Christ may have said the same thing to both groups of people in the Old world as well as the New world.
This is problematic because the King James Version is a translation of an earlier version into English as instructed by King James. The earliest English version was known to be translated from the Latin Vulgate (4th century by Catholic Jerome.) There were about 4 subsequent translations into English before King James requested a newer english translation of the last translated bible.

How realistic is it that Jesus spoke the exact verbiage of the 5th revised bible version to the Nephites?
Jesus wouldn’t have spoken the exact same verbiage to the old world, because the verbiage used in the KJV has been changed from allegedly Hebrew to Latin in the Vulgate and then translated from that to English 4 times before the King settled on a 5th translation in English.

Smith would have presented a convincing scenario if he had translated those verses of the Book of Mormon using different words and then translated the KJV into the revised JST version by using the version from the Book of Mormon, which Mormons claim is the most correct book on the earth. This would have allowed an original version as spoken by Jesus to the American Nephites and potentially to the old world.
This however did not happen by the God-led prophet Smith whose role was to restore the truth through God’s direction.

The apologetic explanation that Jesus could have/would have used the same words to the American Nephites as he did to the old world therefor cannot work.

The verdict is that Smith was a scammer. He wasn't quite clever enough to know all the problems that would transpire, nor did he apparently research enough of the information or he would have known that Jesus couldn't possibly have given the Nephites the 5th english revised verbiage and still be the most correct book on earth. Smith on the other hand had the KJV bible and plagiarized it - then later decided to further change it to JST revised version. oy! So much for a God-led prophet. where was God in the leading of his restored truth? Clearly God was snoozing close to Kolob and never bothered to correct the most true book.
Sheesh, what a scam. Smith and his cronies were clever, but not clever enough. If God did direct him and the organization one would think God would have decided to correct this eventually but no.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: schmendrick ( )
Date: April 28, 2013 09:10PM

That's the miracle of it.

Date: April 28, 2013 10:42PM

It sounded like you were channelling Hinckly right there.
lol.

Posted by: Bite Me ( )
Date: April 28, 2013 09:32PM

Nothing to see here, just a couple of continuity errors. Move along. Next.

Posted by: Tonto Schwartz ( )
Date: April 28, 2013 09:52PM

A+. What you said exactly. Mormon apologists are forced to resort to intellectual dishonesty and absurdities because they are defending preposterous lies. The only eternal truth in Mormonism is the endless lies and ridiculous justifications.

Posted by: moronistrombone ( )
Date: April 28, 2013 09:54PM

I assumed he put it in there because he knows someone will say it anyway in response to him.

Date: April 28, 2013 10:41PM

I thought that's why he put it in there too, but even that explanation doesn't hold water and I thought should be a point in and of itself.

thanks for the replies guys.
Sometimes mormon apologetics makes my head spin back and forth and I wasn't sure what the heck was happening.
It's a wonder the lds apologetic minds haven't gone barking mad. I really mean that.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.