Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: March 14, 2011 03:57PM

I could have put up with a lot of the weird things in Mormon history and doctrine if they were forthright and honest about them instead of covering them up. Other churches have weird things in their history. And I could put up with Mormons notoriously bad manners because there are less than perfect people in all churches. But I couldn't put up with them lying about me. And if you are currently a Mormon, and still reading this post let me tell you that repeating a story without verifying it's truth is lying, if the story isn't true. Even if you didn't know it wasn't true - it's bearing false witness against your neighbor. A sin God classes with murder, adultery and theft. Good luck with that.

Examples? Here's a few from another post I started about charity work. Bearing in mind that you need to document your facts before you testify of them or it's bearing false witness, let's look at the following claims the troll made:

>I see the usual bunch of Mormon bashers here ... ignoramuses that know nothing to begin with ... have had experiences with the church, such as being censured or excommunicated for immoral behavior.

WRONG. I was an almost life-long Mormon, having converted in Junior high. I went to BYU, on a mission, married an RM in the temple, served as both the Primary and Relief Society presidencies in different wards. I know as much about the church as anyone in their 40's who lived the gospel as told. To this day, I have never been disciplined in any way, shape or form. Many people on this board can tell you similar stories.

>I don't see anyone that has quoted an accurate amount of LDS contributions. Go Google LDS Humanitarian Service.

The amounts I've seen quoted on this board come from the Ensign.

>As a long time member of the LDS church, I am fully aware of how every penny is gathered, accounted for and spent.

As a long time member of the LDS church, I can tell you this is a flat out lie - the church never tells you what money is spent on. Period. You can only guess and assume.

>Those that do virtually nothing at all are doing all of the name calling.

This one may be true because the person who posted these claims is obviously a Mormon - Mormons do virtually nothing at all and this Mormon is doing all the name calling. Because he doesn't have any facts to base his argument on. Just claims about Mormonism that he demands be believed and respected despite concrete evidence to the opposite. Evidence he can't refute.

And so Mormonisms lies go on and on and on. Because no one bothers to check and see if they are telling the truth. They say what they want and then throw a tantrum if questioned. Real life doesn't work that way - you have to be able to prove your claims.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2011 04:04PM by CA girl.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: emanon ( )
Date: March 14, 2011 07:33PM

..that what CA girl said is true.

Mormons don't question or check facts, they just do and believe as they are told by local leaders and a bunch of old men in SLC. It's a widely held belief amongst believing mos that to do anything but agree with the mormon leaders would be going against god.

In the name of the spaghetti monster, amen.

Posted by: Eldermalin ( )
Date: March 14, 2011 07:53PM

Back at BYU the accounting professors used to joke how they wish that audits would be as easy as the church auditor makes it out to be when he gives his report.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: March 14, 2011 08:47PM

"We church auditors, who have been through the temple and have sworn allegiance to the leadership do hereby say that the money that the leaders have spent has been spent according to how they have decided to spend it."

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: March 14, 2011 07:55PM

Sounds like I missed a fun thread :)

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: March 14, 2011 11:29PM

Right on, CA girl. And I'm sick of trolling Mormons who say, can't you ex-members find something better to do than tear down the church?

This is my therapy for an abusive childhood. I had a violent father and an idiotic culture. That equals a lifetime of damage.

Posted by: nalicea ( )
Date: March 15, 2011 02:17AM

Posted by: Becca ( )
Date: March 15, 2011 03:31AM

It is insane how mormons assume that leaving the church always has to do with being 'hurt' in some way.

Just yesterday I left a message on a mo friends' FB. She's going through some real hard times and posted about how she found comfort and strength in something that was said during Stake conference.
I told her that even though I disagree with the message of the church, I am still glad that she can find comfort in her faith and that I wish her well.

Her reply?
"Thank you for your respect and I'm sorry you got hurt by the church. But I hope this will pass. ...."

Ugh....
I didn't leave because I got 'hurt'... the hurt didn't come till afterwards when I found out how much the mormon life had influenced me in a really bad way.

It makes me need to sit on my hands quite sternly to not respond in a snipy way...
I don't. I won't. As I am a firm believer that each person has their own path to travel and I will respect anyone in their chosen lifestyle. I refuse to try and convince others that they are wrong simply because I don't like them doing it to me!
If they are to find their way out then I'll be here for support and understanding but I won't argue with them. I'll answer questions but won't bash their religion and try to convince them.

The trouble is, they SAY they respect me and my beliefs, but at the same time, can't help themselves from judging and trying to convince me of their 'right'.

Exhausting...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.