Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Observer ( )
Date: May 08, 2013 12:31AM

It is nice to hear from the average member having doubts but I would like to know if there are any active bishops, eq presidents, sp, etc. who are questioning the faith.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: druid ( )
Date: May 08, 2013 01:27AM

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: May 08, 2013 01:41AM

there are plenty. Not me lol, but I'm sure they will post tomorrow.

Posted by: mia ( )
Date: May 08, 2013 01:49AM

The elders quorum pres. (MY DH) has left the room.

He sees no point in spending another minute on the mormon church.I aspire to be more like that. Unlike me, he wasn't BIC. His brainwashing wasn't quite as thorough.

Posted by: enoughenoch19 ( )
Date: May 08, 2013 02:06AM

I doubt any bishoprick or leader would admit being on this site. But, who knows?

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: May 08, 2013 02:08AM

there are plenty of ex-bishops and other "leaders" though

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: May 08, 2013 11:20AM

There is a Portland bishop here who sometimes posts.

Posted by: enoughenoch19 ( )
Date: May 08, 2013 02:27AM

EX is the key term. Any EX-bishop is OK in my book. Poor guys had to go that far before seeing the truth. But, better late than never.

Posted by: twojedis ( )
Date: May 08, 2013 02:29AM

My hubby, sithlord was on the stake high council when we left, and the husband of another couple we know was in the bishopric.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: May 08, 2013 06:30AM

I was once a bishop. ;-)

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: May 08, 2013 11:21AM

Bishop of crazy, you were!

Posted by: dit ( )
Date: May 08, 2013 11:36AM

LOL! Bishop of the Wine!!

Posted by: sparkyguru ( )
Date: May 08, 2013 06:58AM

I was EQP. then Sunday school president when I started discovering the true history

Posted by: Ctlaltdelete ( )
Date: May 08, 2013 07:41AM

I've been EQ pres, YM pres, exec sec, and bishopric. But I'm not currently in any leadership (nor will I be, they tend to only call people who show up every week and pay tithing, and I no longer do either.)

Posted by: squeebee ( )
Date: May 08, 2013 12:47PM

YM Secretary, does that count? ;)

Posted by: utahstateagnostics ( )
Date: May 08, 2013 01:23PM

EQP 1st, YMP 2nd, Scoutmaster, Cubmaster, SS Prez, Ward Newsletter Editor

Posted by: kenc ( )
Date: May 08, 2013 01:36PM

I am a former bishop. I don't post a lot, mostly reply now and then. I love rfm, MormonThink, postmormon, and lots of other sites.

Posted by: tanktops r evil ( )
Date: May 08, 2013 09:28PM

Hi kenc! U said u don't post a lot(I don't either) but I looked u up to see what u posted in the past since u said you're a former bishop. Anyway, I read your past posts and realized I knew you. I served a mission in a student ward where u were working with CES. It was my first area in 1998. Crazy, small world

Posted by: Mormoney ( )
Date: May 08, 2013 01:38PM

I have a family member who is currently in the elders quorum presidency. He no longer believes. He's been skipping church a lot lately.

Posted by: BeenThereDunnThatExMo ( )
Date: May 08, 2013 01:44PM

Was never a Bishop...but certainly was a Pawn for 2-years!

Or so it seems to me...

Posted by: mav ( )
Date: May 08, 2013 02:29PM

Posted by: mormonista ( )
Date: May 08, 2013 02:06PM

Bishopric 2nd councilor, EQP, and 1st and second councilor ,Ward finance Clerk, Stake finance, Scout master, young mens president, Young mens 1st and 2nd councilor, High Council, Ward missionary, Ward mission President, Group leader 26th MEU USS Whidbey Island under direction of Navy Group leader USS Whidbey Island under direction of LDS Chaplain Camp Lejeune NC.....And get this ,.......Side walk sweeper.

Posted by: Martin ( )
Date: May 08, 2013 02:24PM

EQP, YM Pres twice, Scoutmaster twice, second counselor & first counselor Bishopric, High Counselor, Bishop. Believe the gospel of Jesus Christ completely, can't tolerate the obedience obsessed corporate management of the current church. Eagerly awaiting the fall.

Posted by: magnite ( )
Date: May 08, 2013 02:38PM

EQP, HPGL, SHC, Military LDS Group Leader, Gospel Doctrine teacher (if there really is such a thing) and so on and so on...

I agree with Martin; the corporate management of TSSC is what turned my thinking around.

Posted by: ASteve ( )
Date: May 08, 2013 02:42PM

Manager of a Furniture and appliance store, twice, Partner in Law Firm, Sole proprietor of Law Firm, Manager of Tax Research Center (About 25 CPAs, EAs and Lawyers.)

Oh yeah, and a DL a couple of times on my mission. ;-)

Posted by: icanseethelight ( )
Date: May 08, 2013 03:14PM

EQ presicdency, Exec sec, YM presidency, SS teacher, and my favorite, building supervisor. Had that one for almost 10 years.

Posted by: 8thgeneration ( )
Date: May 08, 2013 03:20PM

I am currently HPGL.

According to the SP, Jesus personally wanted me in this calling. I always knew Jesus was cool with being a heretic.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: May 08, 2013 05:56PM

8th generation? Hey, I'm only 9 back to the Mayflower.

Posted by: DonQuijote ( )
Date: May 08, 2013 04:17PM

I was a mild mannered LDS librarian in public, while at the same time I was a Fundamentalist Seventy Apostle in secret. Kind of like a Clark Kent/Superman thing. I also had two separate lines of priesthood, one from the church and another through Fundamentalist lines that were "more pure." I guess I still hold that position but since I don't show up to the meetings or return their phone calls anymore I think they are starting to figure it out.

Posted by: MormonRealityCheck ( )
Date: May 08, 2013 04:30PM

I was 1st Councilor in BP, Councilor in EQ, Councilor in SS, Ward Music Chairman, Stake Organist, Gospel Doctrine Teacher, Veil Worker. Member for 23 years. Been out for 7.

Posted by: Tommy $ Monson ( )
Date: May 08, 2013 05:49PM

Posted by: Alcoa ( )
Date: May 08, 2013 08:29PM

Ward Mission Leader, 2 Bishoprics, High Councilor, Ward YMP, SS Pres and other leadership callings here. I was YMP, and they had called me to be HPGL, when I left.

Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: May 08, 2013 09:03PM

Veil fluffer.

Posted by: rocketguy ( )
Date: May 08, 2013 10:12PM

Bishop, EQ president, high councilor, stake YM president, and lots of other things. Don't miss it one whit.

Posted by: amos2 ( )
Date: May 08, 2013 11:51PM

I think really only bishop and above are considered "high up".

There's a quantum leap from counselor in a bishopric to bishop...in the church's eyes.

A bishop has to be vetted by Salt Lake. A counselor is locally approved. The bishop was privy to things the counselors weren't. And, when the counselors did temple recommend interviews, if there were any issues, they were referred to the bishop. BTW, the #1 "issue" was tithing. Members could confess other stuff, but nothing was referred to the bishop more certainly than not paying a full tithe.

The church is looser about EQP. EQP was by far my hardest-working time in the church, matching my mission but compounded by work and school...but it didn't invlolve alot of confidential information (as the church sees it...now I realize I crossed privacy boundaries all the time).

When I was called as a bishopric counselor I thought it would be a sky-high experience...but it was actually more mundane than EQP was. The clerk, the executive secretary, and the counselors were kind of a secretarial staff for the bishop. All of us answered to the bishop pretty much as peers to each other.
A bishop's absence is pretty much a good lesson in how monolithic he is.
No one comes to the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th "in command" with any serious issues. The bishopric counselors and the HPGL (sorry for offending HPGL's) are widely dismissed by the lay membership as having power. Maybe that's because Salt Lake does not invest in them.

A bishop, however, is a bad-ass calling. The lay membership starts their worship here. They don't care much for bishopric counselors and certainly not for high priest group leaders...but they act as if the bishop is as prophetic about their lives as the president of the church is.

I saw instances where lay members preferred the bishop's word to the "brethren's", who were only seen on tv and were not personally accessible.

The power among the lay membership is invested in bishops and the stake president. They simply don't regard stake presidency counselors with the bad-assness they should, but many if not most stake presidency counselors are also former-bishops, so they still get the worship factor.

IMO, "high up" means bishop or stake presidency and higher...not stake high council, not other "stake callings" like HPGL or EQP. Those have their own insights, but they're not worshipped by the lay membership. And, possibly as importantly, they're not vetted by Salt Lake. If your calling wasn't vetted by Salt Lake, then you're considered...whatever.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.