Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: sherlock ( )
Date: March 14, 2011 04:30PM

For those who still attend TSCC, what did anyone say about Japan last Sunday? My prediction was that we would either get:
A) sign of the times / wonderful to see the Lard's hand in saving the missionaries / Japan must be full of some really evil people to invoke such displeasure from God etc.... Or
B) no mention whatsoever

I have to sadly report that in my ward it was the latter - there wasn't a single mention of Japan by anyone in a prayer or comment throughout the whole of PH, SS and SM - now there's compassion for you! But we did still get the usual 'bless those who couldn't be here today' / 'help us to travel home safely' / 'help us to apply the things that we've been taught to our lives this next week'....

If God does exist, he's a right schmuck for causing/allowing this, or if he's a useless tool that is unable to do anything, then he perhaps might at least be a bit more preoccupied with what's going on in Japan to worry about your meaningless requests.

What did you experience?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: nomilk ( )
Date: March 14, 2011 04:40PM

My ward has a Mish. In Japan. She got a message out that she and others in her area were all ok, and they were busy helping people who live in their apartment building dig out.
We also have a Japanese woman who was only able to find out about part of her family, the others live in an area that has not electric, and roads are bad now, so we’re waiting to hear from them.
I also reminded everyone that besides the Japanese people, there are service people and visitors who all could use out support, help and prayers ( in that order)
They seldom ask me to give open prayer, but since they did, I got a chance to get that all in.

Posted by: rutabaga ( )
Date: March 14, 2011 05:33PM

We just had stake conference and Donald Hallstrom was the visiting GA.

During a Q&A someone asked him what the church was going to do with respect to humanitarian aid.

His response: "The church will be sending humanitarian aid to Japan. Compared to Haiti, Japan is a very wealthy, technologically advanced society. They have the ability to take care of themselves where the Haitians could not. I expect that the requirements of humaitarian aid in Japan will be less than we sent to Haiti." "Next question."

Posted by: GayLayAle ( )
Date: March 14, 2011 05:35PM

It takes a lot of balls to actually make that statement. So, because Japan happens to be a more "civilized" country, there isn't going to be as much a need for aid as there was in Haiti?

The sheer arrogance of that statement is so disgusting.

Posted by: worldwatcher ( )
Date: March 14, 2011 05:48PM

I think that statement is really stating, "Haiti has many more uneducated people that are possible converts than Japan does." Gotta plow the fertile field first, ya know.

You're right though, that is a statement just dripping with arrogance.

GayLayAle Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It takes a lot of balls to actually make that
> statement. So, because Japan happens to be a more
> "civilized" country, there isn't going to be as
> much a need for aid as there was in Haiti?
>
> The sheer arrogance of that statement is so
> disgusting.

Posted by: GayLayAle ( )
Date: March 14, 2011 05:50PM

Hence why LDS, Inc. is deciding whether or not to make the mishies there a "humanitarian aid force".

Posted by: sukiyhtaky ( )
Date: March 14, 2011 09:20PM

Excuse me but this is just the result of simple observation if you want to look at it fairly. Haiti is arguably one of the poorest nations on earth. Even when these people have something, they have nothing. Years of poverty and corruption have led to the current dilimma. When the quake hit everyone pretty much lost everything and were essentially unable to help themselves. Japans standard of living is very high and these are people who are used to doing for themselves and being high achievers. They will have insurance, they will rebuild with their own hands, they will ask and expect very little except to survive and they will rise out of the ashes. In a year, Japan will be much much futher ahead than Haiti and by their own hand. My family is on Hokkaido and in Osaka. We are proud of our own self sufficiency.

Posted by: serena ( )
Date: March 15, 2011 01:18AM

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: March 15, 2011 01:32AM

That was a disgusting statement. I am not surprised barely a mention was made of it. They want to keep their money to build up their temples and malls.

At my church there were mentions in prayers and two ways were given to contribute and a website mentioned as well. WE were told our social relief people were on site already in Japan. Every penny sent would show up on site. I was happy to hear it.

Posted by: Sandie ( )
Date: March 14, 2011 05:42PM

Donald H. was my bishop during the early 80's. Does he still hang his head and look as dopey as I recall from back then?

Posted by: rutabaga ( )
Date: March 14, 2011 05:51PM

Yeah, pretty much.

Posted by: michael ( )
Date: March 14, 2011 08:03PM

Of course, considering that aid to Haiti was not that great (remember the temple which wouldn't let anyone but Mormons in during Hurricane Tomas?), I'd say don't expect much, if any, aid to go to Japan.

Posted by: Simone Stigmata ( )
Date: March 14, 2011 06:07PM

I dont go to church anymore, but I am almost positive that nothing was mentioned in my ward. That is the way it used to be - completely oblivious to the world and current issues. The talks were probably on tithing and Joseph Smith and following the prophet. They often would also do a rehash of a boring GA talk.

But I'm sure at some point someone mentioned something in a prayer about "bless those who were in the earthquake. Yea, and we acknowledge thine hand in all things, bless the missionaries...blah, blah, blah."

Posted by: quijoteesq ( )
Date: March 14, 2011 06:30PM

Happened to be at a meeting for an extended family function. Both adult speakers mentioned Japan, and both used it as a sign of the times.

Posted by: sonflower ( )
Date: March 14, 2011 07:23PM

My church's response was one of complete love and compassion for the Japanese people. Out of love for any people in need, we are called to assist and we were given the addresses we could send donations to Lutheran World Relief, which sends millions each year to any country regardless of religious affiliations, that have suffered natural disasters and great loss of life. I think that is what Christ would want us to do.

Posted by: kristine ( )
Date: March 14, 2011 07:51PM

And so it is at my church (ELCA) also.

Posted by: saviorjoe ( )
Date: March 14, 2011 11:42PM

At my ward, the guy who was teaching mentioned that all the missionaries were saved. After that, he said, "Isn't it marvelous how God protects those who are faithful?" I was grossly offended. Then some guy in sacrament went on to talk yet again about prop hate, but he was in a piss poor mood and was trashing people who trash Mormons for being a hateful, bigoted organization. I thought his talk was way out of place. When is Mormon supremacy going to come to an end? It might even be the very reason that ultimately pushes me to resign. I'm glad I have a strong reason to back me up as far as my parents go.

Posted by: goldenrule ( )
Date: March 15, 2011 01:43AM

Nothing to report about Japan since I don't go to church anymore, but I remember when the earthquake hit in Haiti. The following Sunday in RS we were talking about donating and a couple people had mentioned the Red Cross, Salvation Army,etc. The RS Pres gets up and tells the sisters not to bother with all those other organizations and to just give all we can to the CHURCH because that way we know FOR SURE where the money is going.

HA! Are you kidding me?!?!

Posted by: Toy Soldier ( )
Date: March 15, 2011 06:44AM

After all, the USA is 'a very wealthy, technologically advanced society. They have the ability to take care of themselves'?

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: March 15, 2011 09:59AM

There were some prayers for the Japanese in my ward.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.