Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Joy ( )
Date: May 11, 2013 05:01PM

We are all out of the cult, except for my son-in-law, who's family are TBM fanatics, and who are holding my granddaughter hostage as a potential Mormon.

One of my children is having both sides of the family over to their house for breakfast Sunday morning. My granddaughter just showed us an invitation for her mother to come to primary for milk and cookies, that same morning. My daughter and TBM husband were not planning on going to church at all, but on enjoying themselves at the breakfast party. I will let you know who wins out: the Mormons or the family/mother.

Later, we are all going to a big barbecue at another of my children's house in the country. The problem is, that my son-in-law's sister is on a mission, and Christmas and Mother's Day are the only two phone calls she is allowed. (When my son-in-law told us that, he had no idea how CULTISH that sounded!) The prized phone call is scheduled during our barbecue, so son-in-law can't attend. I hope he "allows" my daughter and grand daughter to attend our barbecue.

Sunday night, as every Sunday night, TBM son-in-law's family has their weekly Sunday dinner.

I just might have my Mother's Day without seeing my daughter and grand daughter at all, thanks to the Morg.

Does anyone else have problems with Morg interference with holiday or weekend fun?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: icedlatte ( )
Date: May 11, 2013 05:33PM

On facebook this morning I found out that 2 different friends of mine (in different parts of the country) had their annual ward father/son campout this weekend. Who decided to schedule that on Mothers Day weekend?

Posted by: exrldsgirl ( )
Date: May 11, 2013 07:50PM

This may make me sound like a horrible mother, but there have been times when having my husband and son out of my hair and having the house all to myself to just relax would have been the best Mother's Day present I could have ever imagined.

Posted by: mia ( )
Date: May 11, 2013 09:03PM

When my kids were small my ex husband made a point of taking them every mothers day. He would take them shopping to buy their mom a gift. He would bring them home about dinner time.

They were always excited to give a big fuschia plant and a card. We would then have dinner together.

I have to say that having that day in peace and quiet was wonderful. Too bad their father wasn't that thoughtful when he was married to me.

Now my kids are grown. They aways call me, but don't feel any pressure to spend the entire day with me. I'm fine with that. I feel like mothers day is a day that was made up to sell Hallmark cards. My kids are always here when I need them. We spend a lot of time together. I don't feel like we need a made up day. Just yesterday I spent the entire day shopping with my daughter for things for her wedding. Afterward we went to her house and drank too much wine while her future husband made us burgers on the grill. He also babysat my dog while we went shopping. Really, what more could I ask for?

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: May 11, 2013 09:13PM

my ex came and spent both yesterday and today with my daughter for the first time in about 6 months. He took her shopping and just did fun stuff with her. I completely had the day to myself and can I just tell you how lovely that was? My bf is here from out of town visiting me and we are just chilling out being lazy as hell. Best mom's day ever!

Posted by: icedlatte ( )
Date: May 11, 2013 10:52PM

Yeah, I guess it would make sense if you have more boys than girls. I would hate it though if my husband and son left me on mothers day weekend with 3 little girls to take care of.

Posted by: freckles ( )
Date: May 12, 2013 11:36AM

I'm on the east coast in md and our father son camp out was this weekend. Obviously my husband and son did not attend. I thought it was a dumb idea to schedule it this weekend. Maybe one of the wives wanted them gone for Mother's Day. But not everyone does.

Posted by: jbug ( )
Date: May 11, 2013 07:37PM

I have had a special Mother's Day fantasy ever since I became a Mother, even when I was TBM...I have always wanted my husband to take me to lunch on Mother's Day. He never has, BECAUSE IT IS ALWAYS ON A SUNDAY. I will never get my wish, unless he sees the truth and leaves the cult/corporation, which will never happen. He is a fully programmed Morgbot, his parents did a good job.

I have accepted that this will never happen, but somewhere in the back of my mind, I still have this fantasy.

Posted by: Mormon Observer ( )
Date: May 12, 2013 12:45PM

Oh Jbug.
I was new to the ward and our sunday school teacher who became a BP later, gave a moving lesson on standing true to our beliefs.
I was rather strict about shopping on Sunday and thanked him profusely at the end of the lesson.

"Now thanks to your lesson I can tell my TBM In laws that we will not be going out to the Sunday bruch at the local resturant because it would be breaking the Saboath."

A lot of the class members moaned because that was their plan. So I guess they ate with a guilty consicence that day!

It's funny how in Mormon dumb we get all twisted up about Sunday: do we eat out on special occasions? Or are we supposed to eat the sack lunch we prepared on Saturday? (Simple meals as according to the D & C)

Posted by: mandy ( )
Date: May 11, 2013 09:10PM

I love mothers day. Not because of anything my husband does, but because my family always has a big get together with all my aunts and uncles and cousins. I'm 35 mind you.
Maybe it's just the good food, and the being outside in the glorious spring, and all the flowers the mother's get, and the nostalgia of being with the cousins, who were some of my best friends growing up. I look forward to it.

Posted by: Joy ( )
Date: May 12, 2013 02:20AM

My son's birthday sometimes falls on Mother's Day, and those were always the best--a double celebration--that, by his choice, never included going to church.

A friend of mine is a Mormon, who is divorced, and whose children live far away. Every Mother's Day she goes to church alone, where the other mothers are with their husband and 4-8 children, then she goes to help serve dinner at her demanding ex Mother-in-law's house, where her snarky ex-husband lurks. This Mother's Day she is alone at a condo in Park City with a stack of books and movies, bread and cheese, and ice cream. Tomorrow she will Skype her family. So far, she's having a very enjoyable Mother's Day weekend.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: May 12, 2013 10:28AM

If only the church would allow the mishies to make non-collect calls home on mother's day, then maybe they could call their parents on a cellphone.

Do they still have the call collect rule? In my mission it was required if you called from a church owned line.

Posted by: MOI ( )
Date: May 12, 2013 10:39AM

Well, as much as I'd hate the morg interfering in private family business, if they didn't do anything 'mother's day' at church, they'd be labeled anti family by some.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: May 12, 2013 11:57AM

YEARS ago, I was the teacher in R.S. who gave the lessons on child sexual abuse. They rolled around about 4 times a year. (Other topics in between.) I am very introverted, so teaching lessons took A LOT of preparation. It would take me most of the month to get ready--and child sexual abuse???? Not a topic I liked teaching.

My husband took our twins up to Rexburg to visit family and I stayed home. I had chronic strep and had to take cough syrup with codeine just to be able to teach the lesson without coughing endlessly.

I got to R.S. and the woman doing the conducting that day decided to bear her testimony for 40 MINUTES. I had 10 minutes for my lesson. It was so OBVIOUS that I got a bunch of notes in the mail from women telling me how sorry they were that I had gone to all that preparation and didn't get to give the lesson.

WHY DIDN'T THEY JUST GIVE ME THE DAY OFF so I could go to Rexburg with my family?

I don't like mother's day--but that day I was really pissed off. I think that was the last mother's day I spent at church. We were already fairly inactive at the time.

Posted by: Deb ( )
Date: May 12, 2013 12:18PM

Yes, it has always been a thorn in the side of our holiday activities. We used to try to go to TBM family holiday meals - but it overshadowed our ability to have a normal, nice holiday - so we gradually began reducing our time at them, to not going.

They don't seem to understand but their "lifestyle" is not an attractive or desirable thing to us. They don't get it.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.