Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Inglaterra ( )
Date: May 12, 2013 10:51PM

It occurred to me that TSCC probably has quite good success with some people in some foreign countries because these people can't access the truth in their own language.

Maybe if we could find out what languages here people are not too shabby with and try and translate a page detailing the real truth about some of the "truths" in the church.

If all else fails, it could always be Google translated then fixed by someone who understands the language properly later on.

What do you guys think?

By the way, I'm moderate in Spanish.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2013 10:52PM by Inglaterra.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Xanax ( )
Date: May 12, 2013 11:01PM

I speak English

Yo hablo español

Je parle français

---

The internet is huge. There are translations available for the main doctrinal issues.

Only a couple years ago, my only language was Spanish. But I didn't need those translations to figure out the church was all lies.

Posted by: Inglaterra ( )
Date: May 12, 2013 11:08PM

Perhaps it's not as needed as I thought. Maybe a problem is access in some countries and the fact that some people have hospitality and "soft"-ness ingrained in their cultures. I shall go away for a rethink.

Posted by: Xanax ( )
Date: May 12, 2013 11:11PM

> Perhaps it's not as needed as I thought.

Maybe not, if only people were used to think rationally.
Sadly, that's not the case.

Posted by: Cowardly lion ( )
Date: May 13, 2013 02:18AM

Excellent Point!! I always figured the church branched out,cuz the potential converts are saturated. And 3rd world countrys have little or no access to info.. Unfortunatly, I suck at languages! Sorry:-(

Posted by: an991 ( )
Date: May 13, 2013 03:22AM

I can speak well enough in 4 languages, English as we all do, Spanish, French and Malagasy, although if I were to use Malagasy, it would be pointless as the ones that can use the internet speak French

Posted by: notsurewhattothink ( )
Date: May 13, 2013 04:04AM

To be honest, the only way you're going to get the content to go really well is by having someone who is a native English speaker communicate with someone who is a native of the intended language to be translated into.

I speak, read and write Japanese on a 10th grade level, roughly speaking, not because of my mission (that was useless) but because of my study afterwards. I read the newspaper and websites with no problem, and any returned missionary would tell you that it's quite a feat.

When I am in Japan and speak on the phone, most people can not even tell I am American and that is not an exaggeration. When I was even a missionary, most investigators were looking for the "Japanese" missionary who just got transferred in. I was "legendary" in the field for my "amazing gift of tongues". However, even with Japanese being very strong for me as a 2nd language, it's still nowhere near good enough to compose an fluid sounding read for those who are interested and want to take it seriously. Think of all those who are native English speakers and couldn't write a well worded letter. Sound familiar? So not only do you need a native who knows the language inside and out, but you also need one who has a way with words.

Case and point, I tried to write a letter in Japanese for fun, and sent it to my friend in Japan (who is Japanese) and have her correct it to see how I was doing. When I got it back, she pretty much had crossed everything out and rewrote it for me, not because I had made any grammatical errors, but because it "didn't sound right."

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2013 04:08AM by notsurewhattothink.

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: May 13, 2013 10:19AM

Posted by: Nevermo1 ( )
Date: May 13, 2013 04:49PM

R PACKHAM,that is a great website.I have viewed it recently.

Posted by: WinksWinks ( )
Date: May 13, 2013 11:15AM

There's a guy who posts here sometimes who has made an exmo site in.. German, was it? His nickname here is rt.

I wish there was a site as popular as this one in Spanish. And that all converts had the kind of internet access we do in general in the USA.
It's a great goal, but without the access...

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: May 13, 2013 12:16PM

Many people are both lazy and gullible. Put that together and the internet might just as well not exist for them. Live "testimonies" count to them, along with "feelings". Facts? Not important. fortunately, these only add numbers and little tithing.

Posted by: quebec ( )
Date: May 13, 2013 04:36PM

I speak French, English and Spanish.
I believe tscc does not have much hold in France.
And in Quebec and Ontario, the majority of members that are French speakers are actually bilingual (French and English).

Posted by: Mr. Neutron ( )
Date: May 13, 2013 04:38PM

Oddly, though, I can say "No" in English, Italian, Spanish, and French.

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: May 13, 2013 06:01PM

I tried once but couldn't get permission from the admin. I could help with Spanish, but I would be surprised if a Mormon existed that were native speakers of the other languages I speak.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.