Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: heretic ( )
Date: May 15, 2013 01:41PM

Was, once again, reading the reader comments, in the Trib, today on an article
concerning a new video called, "Families are Forever." Following is a comment from one of the readers,

"I love that the video is called Families are Forever. I look forward to watching it.
But I also really hope that amongst all that acceptance,
they don't end up being yet another family who wants their gay child to abide by the Church's rules
of never acting on their attractions and consequently living a life lonely, miserable and not in any way magnificent.
In the context that would be immensely disappointing."

I would assume, perhaps incorrectly, that the term "acting on their attractions" could include anything
from flirting on the one end to engaging in sexual relations on the other end.
Since most boy scouts will be entering puberty during their scouting experience,
if they continue long enough, they are going to start experiencing sexual attraction of some sort.

Since most teenagers have become sexually active, to one degree or another, before the age of 18,
and I'm sure this would include a fair percentage of straight scouts,
does the inclusion of gay scouts prove particularly problematic
because it will be males they find themselves "attracted to?"
Or should gays be given the same "benefit of the doubt," given to straight scouts,
that they will remain "Morally Straight?"

BTW, in my defense, I support Gay Marriage, but I'm struggling to form opinions
on the above and would appreciate any thoughtful feedback.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2013 01:43PM by heretic.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Finally Free! ( )
Date: May 15, 2013 02:00PM

I'm not sure what you're asking here...

In answer to the question, "Or should gays be given the same 'benefit of the doubt,' given to straight scouts, that they will remain 'Morally Straight?'"

I would really hope that Scout leaders aren't asking the boys in their troops about their sexual activities, at all. I never was, that was saved for temple and priesthood interviews, and if I were a parent, I would have words with any scout leader that did.

So, I would hope that all scouts are given equal treatment. I mean, otherwise you end up having leaders trying to guess if their scouts are straight or not so they can determine who to ask awkward questions.

But the whole thing is despicable. The idea that once a homosexual turns 18 that they should suddenly be somehow unworthy of scouting is horrible and sends a terrible message of prejudice and exclusion in an organization that supposed to teach the opposite.

Imagine if a young man has two dads and he wants to participate in scouts and the Dads want to be supportive and help in leadership roles. Nope, the boy is taught, it's OK for him to participate but his parents are bad for some reason and can't be included. They might even be pedifiles or something, because that's the excuse they give for this rule. It's wrong all the way around.

Posted by: scooter ( )
Date: May 15, 2013 02:09PM

Imagine all the kids in the inner city who don't have one dad.

and now no one will volunteer because of these hate policies.

I will say it until I'm blue in the face and maybe then someone will listen.

Scouting was designed by B-P for inner city kids in England displaced by the Industrial Revolution.

It came to the US and first took root in the cities for the same reason.

Scouting is first and foremost a program for inner city kids. And they are one most impacted by kolobianism and their "let's kick out gays" bullshit.

Posted by: a nonny mouse ( )
Date: May 15, 2013 02:12PM

While emotions for any teenager can be confusing, especially where first crushes are concerned, typically, gay kids are going to be looking for other gay kids for possible romantic attachments, unless they just enjoy rejection. There seems to be a huge focus on this idea that gay kids will be predatory and pursue other boys just because they're boys. Just. Not. True.

Posted by: jl1718 ( )
Date: May 15, 2013 02:22PM

You are making assumptions about people you should not be making. First of all, I am an Eagle Scout, and I am a gay man, and I was a member of the church for 18 years.

The scouting program has policies in place. Scouts are always supervised. As far as sleeping in tents, I do not recall ever having less than 5 of us in one tent. Also, you are making incredible assumptions. I may be gay, and knew it then, but I was not about to hit on or attempt to get giddy with my STRAIGHT friends at scout camp.

Something else you obviously do not realize, is the fact that there are plenty of gay scouts already. They are just not out. I was one of them, and let me tell you, there are many more.

I am not going to lie, it is almost offensive, that some people think that gay people should not be associated with the scouting program. I did learn a lot from it that I otherwise would have never known. I know some people seem to think that gay people are sexual deviants, but that is not true. I acquired my eagle, went to many many many scout camps, and never had a problem.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2013 02:29PM by jl1718.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.