Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: misterzelph ( )
Date: May 18, 2013 07:31PM

I was told that when you put on your temple robe, which loop you tie your hat sting onto determines what kingdom you go to. The loop closest to your neck meant the celestial, the middle one terrestrial and the last one telestial. So I always made sure I put the the string in the celestial loop. Was anyone else ever told this?
PS: now I wonder that if the string accidentally becomes untied the person is going to outer darkness.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: druid ( )
Date: May 18, 2013 07:43PM

I don't know but- Those are such useful little strings. I thought they would have caught on by now in professional Baseball, Golf, Skiing , Football etc.

Posted by: left4good ( )
Date: May 18, 2013 08:12PM

Never heard that. But back in the 70s when we started attending the temple, the workers were WAY picky about every little detail. I remember being in the DC temple and workers (in every session) correcting things like how high patrons were holding their hands when giving all the secret signs and "tokens."

As to the string, we were instructed it always went in the second loop.

What a crock.

Posted by: oldklunker ( )
Date: May 18, 2013 09:35PM

Really? Never heard the loop thing. I stuck it up my nose first then my ear after switching.

Posted by: lucky ( )
Date: May 18, 2013 10:09PM

When I went to the MORmON temple, I was told that the signs and tokens presented there were the ultimate symbolic reasons as to why New testament Jesus Christ really was my Messiah, even though Jesus was supposed to be a jew and a jewish messiah, and I was not a jew, not even close to it.

When those signs and tokens did not really makes any sense to me, I was told that was because they were too profound to instantly make sense, that it might take a long time to be able to understand them. The signs and tokens of the MORmON temple ceremony were too profound (meaningful) to readily make sense.

when the signs and tokens of the MORmON temple ceremony started to make sense to me, it was because I recognized them as PROFOUND symbolic rejections of the claims that the Jewish Messiah's had been resurrected. Jesus never had his throat cut/ head cut off. Jesus never had his heart cut out. Jesus never had his bowels spilled onto the ground, leaving room for Jesus's ressurection to be faked. Joseph SMith had committed an epic blunder as Joe incorporated the ANTI Christian symbology of mason rite into the MORmONS highest form of (supposed) Christian worship. I had committed an epic blunder by taking the MORmON religion seriously.

when I finally realized that I had no interest in residing in a heaven where MORmONS would be, then MORmON things like MORmON temple clothes (including stupid ass bow loops, how bows were tied, and where the bow loops were located) and MORmON secret handshakes started to look very stupid to me, and to mean very little to me.

stupid ass MORmONS !

Posted by: The Picard ( )
Date: May 19, 2013 11:53PM

I was told that the three bows on the cap represented the godhead, and the three loops on the shoulder represent the First Presidency. The string represents direct revelation between the two. The closest loop represents the prophet, so the string should be tied to the closest loop on the shoulder.

. . . can't believe I still remembered all of that, LOL!

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: May 19, 2013 11:56PM

I'm wearing a see-through straps tank-top right now. My boobs look HOT! But I guess I'm going to hell anyway :(

Posted by: tig ( )
Date: May 20, 2013 08:01AM

This post is useless without pictures.

Posted by: mia ( )
Date: May 20, 2013 12:03AM

Sounds to me like the bows and loops meant whatever anyone decided they meant that day.

All the weird bow tying, and changing things from left to right, masonic handshakes, shoes off, shoes on, bla, bla, bla. All it really meant was we were being taken.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: May 20, 2013 10:06AM

It was always so funny how that if your hat came disconnected from the shoulder loop, the service would grind to a halt and people would be so full of fear until some old temple worker could fix the errant man with the errant string. And so equally stupid that tying the string to the shoulder ensured that the hat was part of the temple clothing. The stupidity of all this is making my head hurt, so I had better quit posting about it.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: May 20, 2013 11:39AM

I don't recall all of the symbolic meanings, but yes, everything has a meaning in the religious ceremonies in the LDS Church. They are not often explained. Most likely many don't have an understanding of the symbolic meanings.

Here is a link with some info I did not know when a member. I don't know where the references to these symbolic meanings came from, but they seem to work.

http://www.i4m.com/think/temples/temple_clothes.htm

Posted by: sd ( )
Date: May 20, 2013 06:16PM

contemplate using it to strangle myself. End the misery

Posted by: Brainfrees ( )
Date: May 20, 2013 08:43PM

And asked several questions that had been on my mind. This would have been in Dallas circa 2006. When I asked him about the meaning of the various temple clothing doodads, he told me he didn't know. He said the temple presidents had a training with pres hinkley and the topic came up. He said pres hinkley said he didn't know (big shocker right?) So my answer was "we don't know." Maybe I should give them some credit for saying they don't know instead making some shit up. My concern was why certain things had to be done so exactingly particular if no one knows what they mean or why they are done. How can they have any symbolic or actual meaning if we don't know wtf is going on? Doesn't that defeat the purpose?

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: May 20, 2013 08:47PM

Brainfrees Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

All of the symbolism is explained here. I think they do know but they don't share it.

Every bit of the temple is symbolic. It's impossible to be literal, of course.

http://www.i4m.com/think/temples/temple_clothes.htm

This web site is done by a poster here: Deconstructor.

Members just do the rituals/ceremonies by rote on automatic pilot. Rarely do members know what they are doing or why, nor is it ever explained any any detail. If the church thought it was necessary, they would explain why they do everything, but they don't.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2013 10:14PM by SusieQ#1.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.