Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: May 27, 2013 01:23PM

A Mormon I know has a devout father. This guy is a convert of many decades. I've met him a couple of times. Real go getter, abrasive type A male patriarchal dude.

Well, last year this man lost his job because he got too old. It will probably happen to me. I think it totally sucks but whatever.

So this man (the father) was making a lot of money and went down to zero income. He sold his house and has been living on his retirement so his income has been drastically reduced. But he has networked with his Mormon buddies all these years. They found him a new job.

He is over a bunch of facilities (read churches.) If anyone knows where I live they probably can figure who this guy is but I hope I'm not too obvious. It is just hearsay from their child anyway. But I digress. So this man's job is to make sure the LDS churches are in proper shape - inside and out. He has to do inspections and such. Well this man is doing this job well from what I can tell in the one building I've been in and his predecessor sucked at it.

It isn't a hard job from what I hear. You have to check on the buildings making sure the yard work is being done and the inside is supplied as well as training others in the care of these buildings.

So the info I got from the child was that the old man's predecessor basically collected a check and checked out the buildings like once a year if that. He (the predecessor) was better connected than the guy who has the job right now and this predecessor apparently had this job for many years. I can attest to the neglect this guy (and it is always as man) perpetrated as this time period fell within the time I was up at the building more.

I don't know what happened to the other guy. But apparently it took this new guy the better part of this year to get things back into order.

My understanding is this position is filled by retired well-connected men as a source of income. And it seems like not that bad of a job if you actually do it. I could be wrong. It could such but I doubt it ever is even a 40hr/week gig but I could be wrong.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Adult of god ( )
Date: May 27, 2013 01:48PM

I wonder what he is finding since the members started to do the cleaning.

Date: May 28, 2013 10:44AM

My guess is he found things weren't getting done because no one was sending this info up the chain and the bishops getting down on their people to be good "stewards" AKA janitors.

I believe his job is to "correlate" the maintainance and care of the morg church facilities. He works with the individuals "called" as the local building's volunteer in charge as well as with the local leaders in "overseeing" these buildings.

He is the man on the ground for the "Area Presidency" is what I gather. Could be wrong.

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: May 27, 2013 02:48PM

...and some big-shot gets paid to be their snoopervisor and make sure they do it right?

Man, that is some kind of ƒƱȻҜƐÐ ƱⱣ!!

Date: May 28, 2013 10:49AM

Doxi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ...and some big-shot gets paid to be their
> snoopervisor and make sure they do it right?

Yes and no. I don't think they ever work directly with the every member a janitor people. They have "facilities contacts" with which they work. They also manage the work people are contracted to do there such as the various grounds companies.

What I gather is the morg pays this man a salary to actually make sure work they paid for gets done as well as make sure the facilities are being kept up. They don't work with the bishops, unless it is something really important. They "manage" like a land management company does.

My polygamist sister is a manager for a company several states away managing their interests in a very large area. Her husband is the handy man and some of the other wives and children work there as well.

> Man, that is some kind of ƒƱȻҜƐÐ ƱⱣ!!

Neo-united Order baby!

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: May 28, 2013 10:50AM

It's about time someone got in there and did the job correctly!
It seemed to me that the LDS Church was not showing proper care and respect for their buildings and letting a lot go unattended until something was broken and needed to be fixed. Then wait and wait and wait....

This may be A Good Thing to have someone who is actually interested in doing the job they are hired to do and getting things in order as they are supposed to be.

I have never understood how a large organization like the LDS Church would not hire bonded, trained janitorial services to properly clean and care for the buildings.

I can't imagine what kind of bacteria, mold, and other problems are going on that people are being exposed to.

Another bone of contention with me is the burlap walls, that are never cleaned and hold all kinds of allergens.

No wonder people get sick when they go to church!!

Posted by: Cynthia ( )
Date: May 28, 2013 11:03AM

Our building had an office added to it several years ago for the facilities management teams for the area I live in. This office was closed when the members were given full responsibility for the cleaning about three years ago.

I went to our building the other day to deliver food for a funeral and that office was opened and manned again. I was surprised to see the office being used and a sign up saying that facilities management was again located in the building. This has happened recently as I pass the church frequently and have not seen any cars there on a daily basis. Something isn't going quite as planned.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.