Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: May 18, 2013 12:06PM

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogsfaithblog/56327482-180/religious-oaks-freedom-lds.html.csp

Whoo!! Whoo!! Oaks is a champion of religious freedom! Suck it, Other Churches!

Oh the irony. I only wish someone would help me in my fight for freedom of religion. My thoughts: If Oaks truly believed in freedom of religion, he'd be party to allowing Mormons to think more for themselves and not just be yoked up to a great team of individuals pulling the Mormon juggernaut along the streets and being crushed under its mighty wheels. With their so-called religious "freedom," Mormons are some of the most put-upon people I've ever been associated with.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 18, 2013 12:09PM

honor among thieves

Posted by: Once More ( )
Date: May 18, 2013 03:44PM

Robert P George is on the board of the National Organization for Marriage, on the Editorial Advisory Board of the Deseret News, and he founded the Witherspoon Institute which funded the Regnerus study.

http://thinkprogress.org/lgbt/2013/04/10/1848111/mark-regnerus-was-coached-how-to-discuss-how-his-study-condemns-marriage-equality/

Incestuous award giving.

Date: May 18, 2013 03:48PM

Excerpt from Think Progress link:

Mark Regnerus’s “New Family Structures Study” has been widely cited by conservatives as evidence that children do worse with same-sex parents, but it has been even more widely debunked as junk science by professional medical organizations.

Evidence has been mounting that the study was concocted by the anti-gay Witherspoon Institute for political purposes, and the latest evidence shows that Regnerus was actually coached on how to talk to the media about the study.

The American Independent found a media guide that somebody provided Regnerus about how to talk about the study, including how to handle accusations that it’s biased because Witherspoon’s funding.

Date: May 18, 2013 03:51PM

PZ Meyers took a close look at Dallin Oaks in 2009. What he found was not pretty, and the receipt of bogus awards from Catholics does not improve the picture.

http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2009/10/13/the-mormon-leadership-demonstr/

Date: May 18, 2013 03:54PM

Does anyone else get the impression that there is money behind this award for Oaks?

Mormons are using Catholics as a front behind which they fight against gay rights. So cozy.

Posted by: Holy the Ghost ( )
Date: May 18, 2013 03:58PM

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,884668,884738#msg-884738

Oaks has said it is wrong to criticize church leadership under any circumstances,
and that
“[i]t is permitted for the purpose of building up religion in things pertaining to piety, when necessary, to conceal whatever appears to need concealing.”

as I said in my original post

Religious Liberty: You're doing it wrong.

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: May 18, 2013 05:03PM

I think I'll go feed the hungry.

The Mormon way of saying, "I'm going to eat lunch now!"

Posted by: Daphne ( )
Date: June 07, 2013 09:29PM

I didn't know there were any countries that were Mormon.

Posted by: Testimonyman ( )
Date: June 07, 2013 06:59PM

Oh Mindy, you really don't know who we are do you. Yes, none of us here have ever studied the mormon religion, actually talked to an active mormon or been in a real mormon church.

Mindy, just 1 question (and I could ask many), how many of Joseph Smith's roughly 33 wives were already married to active LDS men when Joseph also married them?

Posted by: Crud ( )
Date: June 07, 2013 07:05PM

Apparently, "Religious freedom" includes protecting the Mormon Church AT ALL COSTS. Oaks believes "everything may be sacrificed" for the church if necessary.

He's a lawyer, he fully understands the words he selects, and the word "everything" means "without exception". That then would include the obstruction of justice prospect in the Mark Hofmann bombing case, or the Blood Atonement doctrine of the JoD.

Apostle Dallin H. Oaks:

"My duty as a member of the Council of the Twelve is to protect what is most unique about the LDS church, namely the authority of priesthood, testimony regarding the restoration of the gospel, and the divine mission of the Savior. Everything may be sacrificed in order to maintain the integrity of those essential facts. Thus, if Mormon Enigma reveals information that is detrimental to the reputation of Joseph Smith, then it is necessary to try to limit its influence and that of its authors."

(Inside the Mind of Joseph Smith: Psychobiography and the Book of Mormon, Introduction p. xliii f28)

See:

http://20truths.info/mormon/lying.htm

Date: June 08, 2013 01:32PM

Link shown above is not working. Can you fix it? Provide another link?

Posted by: badseed ( )
Date: June 07, 2013 07:14PM

"From what I've read of Oaks on this topic what he is really concerned about is increasing secularization and not threats to freedom of religion so much. He is confusing the fact that people are exercising their freedom of religion (as it were) to move away from religion WITH an attack on religion in the US (which is not really happening). Which is kind of like McDonalds and Burger King calling a move by consumers away from burgers, cokes and fries an attack on fast food rather than what it is— people choosing what works for them.

The same thing happened in Europe a decade or 2 back. As religion became less useful and relevant to people they dropped it.

Call that stupid, crazy or unfortunate if you want but don't call it an attack on religious freedom because it is not."

Funny thing on this topic....my TBM wife talked to me about a lesson she had in Church on this very topic a while back and she commented that she can't figure out what Oaks is talking about. She couldn't see how religious freedom was being threatened and was asking for specific examples in the class but got no response.

Posted by: EXON46 ( )
Date: June 07, 2013 07:15PM

How can one be a champion of religious freedom when they co-conspire to politely outlaw that same freedom from those who do not believe as they do? Prop 8

Posted by: EXON46 ( )
Date: June 07, 2013 07:19PM

Ooops 'politely', I ment politically.

Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: June 08, 2013 12:14PM

The only freedom he's been fighting for is that of a bunch of lying, thieving, ridiculous old men to keep people mentally stuck the previous century and pick their pockets!

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: June 08, 2013 01:24PM

"Al Capone honored for his fight for entreprenurial freedom"

"Joseph Smith honored for his fight for sexual freedom."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2013 01:24PM by baura.

Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: June 08, 2013 02:11PM

George W. Bush honored for his fight for intellectual freedom ...
Ted Bundy honored for his fight for women's rights ...
Adolf Hitler honored for his fight for Aryan self-determination ...
Osama bin Laden honored for his fight for freedom of expression ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2013 02:23PM by munchybotaz.

Posted by: cheezus ( )
Date: June 08, 2013 06:37PM

Henry Kissinger just received some Freedom award too. Seems the awards are meaningless, or are really the opposite awards in reality.

Posted by: bentleye ( )
Date: June 08, 2013 01:26PM

. "The medal recognizes individuals who demonstrate courage in the defense of religious freedom and is named for Canterbury Cathedral, where Thomas Becket stood in defense of religious freedom against King Henry II."

That is some medal. I don't think Becket was sticking up for freedom of religion. He was sticking up for the powers of the Catholic church, political powers. The King was trying to get more freedom from religion in seeking more independence from Rome and Canterbury. Of course the church sainted Becket after his murder. But they always awarded their political "martyrs" like that.

Posted by: nickname ( )
Date: June 08, 2013 02:18PM

"Religious Freedom" apparently means firing people who don't go to church: http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,918473

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.