Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: metatron ( )
Date: June 05, 2013 01:10PM

...what would you do?

I was repeatedly shocked by all the excommunications going on in the early 1990's, including that of a favorite BYU professor, D.M. Quinn.

I had been thinking for about 6 years, that there was a lot about this church that didn't make any sense.

Anyway, it was Conference weekend in October. I don't have much extended family in Mormonism, and I was making lots of meaningful non-Mormon connections, and I thought, "I cannot keep participating in this bullsh*t." I stayed home that weekend. I have stayed away from Mormonism ever since. I have not been to any Mormon church meetings in almost 20 years.

Suggestions on how to mark this special anniversary?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Carol Y. ( )
Date: June 05, 2013 05:09PM

Think of something you've always wanted, maybe even a trip somewhere.

Posted by: metatron ( )
Date: June 08, 2013 08:26PM

One thing I always enjoy is backpacking in remote areas, and I have not been in the mountains in a few years. So I am planning 8 days in the Ansel Adams Wilderness in August. What could be nicer at the height of the Summer, than going into the High Sierras?

Thanks everybody for the congratulations.

Posted by: deconverted2010 ( )
Date: June 05, 2013 05:11PM

I don't have any suggestions, but wanted to say congratulations.

You were getting out as I was being sucked into this religion. I stayed over 20 years. Reading Quinn's writings a few years ago opened my eyes tremendously about the lds church. I really admire that man.

Whatever you do, enjoy!!!

Posted by: Nevermo1 ( )
Date: June 05, 2013 05:16PM

I'd have an Extra large Baileys on ice!

Posted by: mia ( )
Date: June 08, 2013 08:31PM

Have your resigned? If not, maybe you could celebrate by removing your name as one of their official members.

Other than that, pour a nice drink, look in the mirror and congratulate yourself for taking care of you. If you add up 20 years of tithing you'll really feel good about it.

Posted by: memyself ( )
Date: June 08, 2013 08:43PM

Find a TBM and tell them you want to talk to them about the only true church!!!! LOL

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.