Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Cali Sally ( )
Date: June 11, 2013 09:13AM

To recap, I asked here "What should I do" awhile back regarding the visit of an old friend whose husband had been my bishop decades ago. She notified the local ward that she would be in town (she and husband are retired in Utah) and at the stake center last night. I wanted to go but didn't know what to expect. Most of you suggested I go. I did.

It was actually pretty great. Most of the people there had no idea I was back in town. I know many of them are aware I resigned but nothing was said and everyone was cheerful and eager to catch-up. I was really happy to see that at the last minute this woman's husband, my old bishop, came to town with her. He was my favorite bishop of all time because he is a genuine, caring person. He is the sweetest man I've ever known and I told him so last night. I don't believe he or his wife know anything about my resignation but I'm sure their hosts will inform him.

The only down side was the number of questions I got about the whereabouts of the rest of my family. I did not give out any addresses or phone numbers but I'm a little disturbed that there may be some "tracking down" of my sister and her children for reactivation efforts. They are technically "less active" as I'm the only one who has officially resigned.

One lady I ran into is my mother's age and was once her "assigned friend" so I told her where my mother lived and that my mother would love it if she went to visit. Ex-assigned friend blew me off with, "Oh, I run into her at the hairdressers on occasion". I told this to my mom and Mom said she hasn't seen her at the hairdresser's for over a year or more. Since my mother cannot walk well any more (I let everyone know this) and can only get around if i take her places, I thought they might make the effort to go visit her but I know they won't, except for the current assigned friend. So sad that in Mormonism you lose your value when you have nothing more to give to the corporation.

Nobody asked for my contact information so I don't expect I'll get hounded to come back. That's nice but it's also a bit sad that as an apostate I'm not worth (or am too scary) to have as just a plain ol' friend. Still, I'm glad I went. They know I'm in town and we all got to play catch-up.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: June 11, 2013 10:27AM

Not to worry. I'm sure your mom gets visited monthly by the deacons collecting fast offerings ;)

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: June 11, 2013 11:45AM

Glad it worked out okay.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.