Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Senoritalamanita ( )
Date: June 11, 2013 05:11PM

I haven't been to Utah since the early 1980s. For those of you who live there, have you seen an increase in polarization between Mormons and Non-Mormons within the last decade or so?

I imagine that, due to population increases, business and tech expansion, or political fallback from Proposition 8, there is a huge divide.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rationalguy ( )
Date: June 11, 2013 05:20PM

I haven't seen much of that. Mormons seem to reserve their greatest disgust for ex-mo's, called apostates. Morgbots at my work who know my stand as "apostate" seem to react much more negatively to that than they do to others who have never been members, even when those non-members disparage TSCC.

Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: June 11, 2013 05:48PM

I think rationalguy is correct. I am never mo and even though I am better informed about Mormon doctrine and history, the Mormons dismiss me as uninformed. I am still a potential convert in their eyes and they try to take any negative comments in good humor - especially comments that needle Mormon culture. However, an apostate is someone who was once part of the tribe and is no longer. Apostates are much more dangerous to a TBMs testimony than someone who never was.

Yes, there is polarization between the Mormons and the never Mormons. We all try to get along but they view us as objects of pity as we aren't in on the trueness of the gospel. They think we admire them for their faith and cleaning living. However, we view them as victims of a con. We watch what we say in a mixed group setting, but the conversations we have among ourselves are VERY different.

Posted by: tapirsaddle ( )
Date: June 11, 2013 08:24PM

We are a bigger threat. We know all the deep, dark bullshit that they are embarrassed about.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: June 11, 2013 08:19PM

I can tell you that at some schools it's a BIG deal, and the kids who aren't LDS are kind of disenfranchised. At other schools, it's not such a big deal.

Posted by: Rose Park Ranger ( )
Date: June 11, 2013 11:29PM

When I lived in West Valley City (no, I'm not in a gang), it would have been ridiculous for TBM's not to allow their kids to play with ours.

Our kids would have just played with the Latino Catholic kids, Bosnian kids (wow, are they good at soccer!) or Polynesian Protestant kids.

There are still Mormons in Park City? Wait, what?

But Provo or the Boondocks.....

As a Nevermo, I think I am treated better than Exmos. TBM's think there is a possibility of me giving them 10% of my income to build a shopping mall.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.