Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: heretic ( )
Date: June 27, 2013 02:57PM

The following excerpt is from an article by Jay Drew's BYU's sports blog (in the SLTRIB):

Chasen Andersen, the linebacker from Logan High,
who is the son of former Utah State and current Wisconsin coach Gary Andersen,
was granted a release from his Letter of Intent by Mendenhall
(Head Football coach at BYU) and plans to eventually play for his father at Wisconsin.

"He will not be coming to BYU. It is a pretty simple matter,"
Mendenhall said. "....considering and getting a taste of what the BYU experience was going to be,
with "HIS LIFESTYLE and STANDARDS," he realized it probably wasn't going to be the best fit for him,
which is great. (Wow, Mendenhall makes it sound like he's one "Wild & Crazy Guy," I already like the kid)

What I respect about Chasen (aside from his lifestyle and standards) is that he was just really honest.
And so even in the recruiting process, we try to give as clear an idea of what it is going to be like.
THAT'S DIFFERENT THAN ACTUALLY LIVING IT....(Mendenhall makes it sound like his character was lacking)

Mendenhall said the decision to grant the release was a no-brainer.

"Oh yeah, instantly," he said, when asked if he gave Andersen the release.
"There will rarely be a case for me that if someone wants a release from BYU that I wouldn't grant it.
This is about college kids. Yeah, you can teach principle in saying they need to have accountability.
But in my opinion, BYU is already a unique place. I want kids to be happy here, and kids that want to be here.
So it didn't make any other sense than to support him."

"I feel like I made a really good decision," the coach said. ("If I do say so myself. Please, no applause.")

Could the player's decision have to do with simply wanting to play where his father was coaching
and had nothing to do with his "LIFESTYLE and STANDARDS?"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2013 03:16PM by heretic.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elciz ( )
Date: June 27, 2013 04:06PM

Bronco Mendenhall is one of the luckiest, dumbest guys ever. He gets to coach a program that is established, even if it was down at the time he took over. He wins all the games he should and loses all the ones he should and people think he is a genius. He appoints a guy to be the offensive coordinator who has never had that position, that guy shows nothing, and then he re-hires the guy he forced out. The coaching positions are the ultimate insider game, passed out to former BYU players and other insiders. At least Lavel Edwards knew he was stupid and hired some damn good offensive minds, and some were non-Mormons. The defensive coach they fired two years back was the only major coaching position I know of in quite a while that went to a non-Mormon. And they canned him.

Yea, when it comes to being a glassy eyed BYU homer and TBM, Bronco ranks right up there. He's a pompous a$$ if you really want to know...

Posted by: utahstateagnostics ( )
Date: June 27, 2013 04:39PM

My Boise State Broncos will beat them again this year, and hopefully it's by more than a point!

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: June 27, 2013 04:32PM

He pretty much said the guy couldn't cut it at BYU because of its "high standards".

If he were a classy guy, he would have just signed the release and wished him well. Instead, he uses the sour grapes excuse.

Posted by: wowbagger ( )
Date: June 27, 2013 04:48PM

did bronco give Jake Heaps a release to go to KU? Anyone know?

I am guessing the answer is no

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: June 27, 2013 05:08PM

Not only are we BETTER than anyone else.

We're more humble too.

Posted by: Whiskeytango ( )
Date: June 27, 2013 09:28PM

Kind of funny hearing him say stuff like that. I knew him when he was a freshman at Snow College. A good football player and fairly mild partyer...Not the best Mormon just and average college player like this Andersen kid...

Posted by: misterzelph ( )
Date: June 27, 2013 10:35PM

To Mormons someone who drinks near beer is a wild guy.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.