Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: carrietchr1 ( )
Date: July 02, 2013 03:43PM

I have been best friends since first grade with my TBM friend. We've married, had kids, moved away and still remained friends. We see each other 1-2 times a year when they come to the beach to visit.

They were always very relaxed about their religion...didn't push it on me...never asked why I didn't join way back in college when I had the discussions. I was raised going to church with her so I can 'pass' for a Mormon and can have conversations about the church. One time, several years go they did give our address to the missionaries when they were visiting a temple back east and were asked for people they could share the church with. She called right afterwards and apologized for "sicking (sp?) them on us." (Her words.) I told her to just give the wrong address next time! When they are here visiting they don't go to church and are usually not wearing their garments since they are camping at the beach. They never say anything about our coffee on the counter and beer in the fridge!

Her daughter just arrived in Japan on her mission. Since her daughter entered the MTC the family has become MUCH MORE TBM. Their e-mails to her are all about their testimony, being children of god, their purpose in life, etc. Stuff I have NEVER heard them talk about.

With the recent announcement in church about the missionary program and reactivating people, I am wondering if she will say something on their next visit...they are coming in a few weeks. Will she not bring it up...or with her newfound TBMness will she feel the need to talk to us about the church?

Still debating how I will respond.

Carrie

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: judyblue ( )
Date: July 02, 2013 03:50PM

No way of knowing. Even with the push to reactivate, and even with their newfound TBMness (which tends to happen around missions), they may continue to be cool. Or, they may go all crazypants on you and try to throw you into a baptismal font when you aren't looking.

If I were you, I would try to act like everything is normal. If she brings up the church, be prepared to kindly and firmly state that you aren't interested, and then change the subject. There's nothing inherently wrong with her sharing her viewpoints - after all, we love our friends even when we disagree with their worldview - but there's a difference between telling you about her feelings and spirituality and expecting you to embrace it for yourself. Try to practice being happy that she's happy, and if necessary, remind her to do the same.

Posted by: amos2 ( )
Date: July 02, 2013 04:02PM

My gospel diligence was up and down over the years. I had plateaus where I was probably the coolest kind of Mormon. I even told an evangelical coming on to me that I preferred to keep religion private.
But, I also had my peaks (or valleys...depending...), where I got in gear and gave it some gas. I went on a mission, for one, and was assholeishly into it. I nagged my inactive mom and brother. When it was apparent they weren't moving on it, I overcompensated and kept my distance for some years.
But I did missionary work in my ward.
Finally something was eating me and I decided to nag my brother again...he was polite but observantly and therapeutically honest. He basically asked why now after all these years, and got me talking about my anxieties and insecurities. Seeing that it was me that ended up on the couch actually helped me later with quitting the church. I saw, for once, how arbitrarily subjective my belief was.

My advice, do what my brother did to me...no don't put your friend on the couch, but just take an interest in why the church is important to your friend, but state that you have your own belief that's just as important to you.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.