Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: rt ( )
Date: July 02, 2013 05:17PM

Here's an example from the Netherlands:

=======================================

The composition of 1998 is as follows:

Members of record 198

Mean sacrament attendance 56

Families: 143 (of which 18 visited by Home Teaching)

Melchezidek Priesthood 24 (of which 10 inactive)

Non-ordained "future elders" 44 (of which 43 inactive)

Women 100 (of which 76 inactive)

Young men 7 (of which 3 inactive)

Young Women 5 (of which 2 inactive)

Children 18 (of which 4 inactive)

The activity rate of 28% is considered normal in the Netherlands, reflecting a similar reality elsewhere. This means that 72% did not attend once in the past three months, a sign of inactivity for Mormons. For the moment we assume that the 28% reflects self identifying Mormons, a reasonably safe assumption that we shall return to later anyway. But the large majority of the members, the ones who never show up, or the "Fleeing Flock" as Decoo characterises them, how about them? To what extent do these 72% define themselves as Mormons? If they consider the margin, how is this composed? The general answer to that is quite straight forward: they do not consider themselves to be Mormons; but some nuances are called for. What is the pattern of disaffiliation, and conversely, what are the strengths and weaknesses of Mormon identity construction in this area?

http://www.mvgcontact.org/MormonismGlobalCounterChurch.htm

=======================================

The author then goes on to analyze "the pattern of disaffiliation" but his analysis isn't worth much IMO. You will find my answer to it as reply #5 below the article (you may also consider this my exit story).

The numbers are good, though, since the author had access to membership records for his article. Based on these, I calculated the following rates:

- Some 29% of the members are active, which I cross-checked with data from the Cumorah Project, the Encyclopedia of Mormonism (under Vital Statistics) and some other individual sources.

Working your way down from the remaining 71%, you get the following:

- About 13% of the membership is dead. The church keeps them on the rolls until they are 110 while in reality they die between 70 and 80.

- 37% of the members are "lost". The church keeps them in a special "in transit" file. When a ward cannot track down a member, they can send their records to the COB to be put in transit. This procedure does wonders for the ward's activity rates, BTW. I sent more than 200 records to SLC during my last stint as ward mission leader, thereby more than doubling the activity rate :-)

- That leaves about 21% of the members as regular inactives, you know, the ones the TBM's dump cookies and christmas carols on whenever the holy ghost moves them.

So there you have it. You can apply these percentages to whatever number the church cranks out and know the actual numbers with reasonable certainty.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: johngaltspeaking ( )
Date: July 02, 2013 05:40PM

Which, i think is necessary to add, boils down to practicing membership of 4,060,000 people assuming the 14 million figure.

Posted by: stillburned ( )
Date: July 02, 2013 07:47PM

DW is the final 21%. Ugghh.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.