Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: rainwriter ( )
Date: July 02, 2013 02:27AM

:( This happens all the time in Mormon meetings, just in the passive-aggressive manner. Better not have people with proof of that. The church can claim it doesn't happen when someone produces a transcript because they say that it's unreliable and not authorized, but video doesn't lie whether it was authorized or not.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: presbyterian ( )
Date: July 02, 2013 02:29AM

I did some research. This guy has been their preacher for 24 years. I watched part of another sermon, and he is entirely different. Perfectly calm.

I think he was having some kind of medical problem.

Date: July 02, 2013 02:29AM

It really hit home because my son's first job was in the video booth!!!!

Posted by: Senoritalamanita ( )
Date: July 02, 2013 11:19AM

His first few words ..."I'm important"

I think "humiliators" -- clergy, bosses, spouses, parents -- are the worst. Something must be really wrong in the minds of those who choose to belittle and degrade those they claim to love.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2013 11:19AM by Senoritalamanita.

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: July 02, 2013 11:43AM

Our community SOOO needs video cameras in LDS churchs.

We need footage of the crazy at open mic day on the first Sunday of the month.

We need footage of people admonished to shave off facial hair.

We need footage pf perv bishops in their closed door offices interrogating children about sexual issues. (We get a legit one of these going viral and LDS Inc is DONE)

Posted by: lucky ( )
Date: July 02, 2013 03:01PM

so the member was not worth 15 cents, hmmmmmmm......
is this preacher related to tom perry ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkcOuFvyajA

Posted by: tapirsaddle ( )
Date: July 02, 2013 03:04PM

Senile?

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: July 02, 2013 03:49PM

Hidden cams do amazing things.

LDS Inc can make outrageous claims of great expectations of their new online children's crusades.

However, this hidden cam video has reached over 1.2 MILLION people. People that will consider them 'weird' and 'peculiar'

Search in Youtube under the proper spelling of newn@meno@h

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2013 03:50PM by deco.

Posted by: Senoritalamanita ( )
Date: July 02, 2013 04:40PM

Boyd K. Packer would have a field day with this one.

This is adult content. Not for the squeamish.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nc5rKNGWhb0

Posted by: rationalguy ( )
Date: July 02, 2013 04:54PM

What a douche. This is exactly the kind of guy that I hate. If I were them, I'd walk out and never come back.

Posted by: spanner ( )
Date: July 02, 2013 05:00PM

Hmmm,

I wish I had had a modern cell phone when I was a teen. Oh the crazy I could have recorded.

For any teens who are lurking, a few audio recordings of bishops' interviews hitting youtube would probably shut down the whole disgusting procedure.

Some audio recordings of the tithing settlement shakedown would be interesting too.

Date: July 02, 2013 07:58PM

More secret LDS recordings like this please:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21spXsLcxes

Posted by: mr. mike ( )
Date: July 03, 2013 12:38AM

You have to understand that the "calling out" and recording sermons is a part of Fundamentalist Christianity. Many pastors use certain Biblical verses to claim that they are the spiritual dictators of their churches [my terminology not theirs] and thanks to that, we get to see fiascos like Jack Schaap* and all sorts of abusive behavior passed off as tough love. Yelling at people for not being attentive enough is a long-running tradition; here is Jack Hyles yelling at a church he was INVITED to. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwUCwC6I2tI

Recording sermons is a modern version of printing them and the Fundamentalists were big on doing both; you can still find records from the `60s-`70s of some long-dead preacher down at the 25 cent bin of the thrift store. When it wasn't LPs and pamphlets, it was cassette tapes, or VCR recordings off public access. Today they do podcasts, YouTube videos, streaming video, DVDs (sold in the lobby.) It's not just about the message, it's about all the ticks, stunts, decibel levels of each preacherman, and that's why they let themselves be visually recorded. Just know that for every Jim Standridge, there are hundreds of unrecorded pulpit-bangers in the poorer churches.

* Schaap (pron. "Skop") was convicted of taking a teenager across state lines for sex. Schaap ran the First Baptist Church of Hammond, Indiana which was the church Jack Hyles founded. Hyles had his own issues of marital infidelity and a cult of personality.

Posted by: sparkyguru ( )
Date: July 03, 2013 09:35AM

It is church doctrine in the LDS realm

"at times reproving with sharpness, then afterword showing an outpouring of love"

paraphrasing mine.

it means chew the person out and make them feel like crap, but then make sure they know you love them after.

My mission president did it all the time. he was a huge fan of this type of thing.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.