Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: goldenrule ( )
Date: July 02, 2013 05:31PM

Got this email from RS Pres...

Hi,

Sunday we had a great third hour conducted by Bishop ***** combined with the Priesthood and YMYW regarding Missionary Work and The Priesthood & family. Many of you were traveling or serving in Primary or just unable to be with us. So I am sharing a link with you of a video that we watched that would be well worth your time to watch. Please share this message with those you visit teach, your family or others.

Here is the link to the video we watched: https://www.lds.org/training/wwlt/2013/the-power-of-the-priesthood-in-the-family?lang=eng

thank you!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: johngaltspeaking ( )
Date: July 02, 2013 05:34PM

Didn't watch lol, I suggest everyone do the same :)

Posted by: sherlock ( )
Date: July 02, 2013 05:36PM

Just the first 4 seconds of Heartsell music are more than enough.

Posted by: johngaltspeaking ( )
Date: July 02, 2013 05:42PM

I really like how the exmormon YouTube channel does that for the videos they post. The irony is delicious.

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: July 02, 2013 06:01PM

Good Grief. Talk about Marketing & PR. There are more minorities shown in the 1st 4 minutes (as far as I could watch) than are in all the wards in Sandy combined.

Date: July 03, 2013 01:06AM

Right? That is one of the things that bothers me the most about their marketing and PR. I'm a minority and with the exception of Hawaii, I was ALWAYS the lone brown face in EVERY ward I've ever attended. It's just total misrepresentation that there is diversity.

In fact, LDS casting just sent out a notice for testimony videos to be used in temple visitors centers. Seeking specifically, Hispanics and African Americans. Whities need not apply! They don't even need to be LDS, but they just want their testimonies of Jesus.

Oh vey.

Posted by: spicyspirit ( )
Date: July 03, 2013 01:28AM

Can we post that cast listing on fb or Mormonthink??

Posted by: pdoffexmormon ( )
Date: July 03, 2013 03:03PM

Aye cast listing complete with my stake president - marvellously ironic :s

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: July 03, 2013 02:57PM

They love putting people of other races as their face of Mormonism in their marketing now. I'd love for them to get the cojones to put a mixed race family though, like a black husband with his blonde white wife. They don't like that though.

Posted by: destiny ( )
Date: July 02, 2013 06:08PM

Oh, that just Makes. Me. Nauseous!

Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: July 03, 2013 11:05AM

Ok, I watched that whole damn thing. Only important cult leaders like theses guys can talk so much without saying anything.

The music at the beginning signals the brain to shut down, as nothing of import will be discussed by these bloviating old cows.

Posted by: sherlock ( )
Date: July 03, 2013 11:14AM

4 seconds of Heartsell oboe = hypnotic trance-like state.

The GAs do seemingly waffle more and more these days. You just get a bunch of repeated key words & phrases like 'Priesthood keys', 'magnifying our responsibility', 'power of the ward council' etc..... with a bit of filler inbetween.

I wonder if there's not some sort of secret word bingo game going on amongst GAs. If you're the first to complete your line of trite phrases, you win a promotion to Area President, a condo by the mall and a $1m bonus.

Posted by: WakingUpVegas ( )
Date: July 03, 2013 02:00PM

I lasted about 2 minutes in before the heartfelt music and droning voices started putting me to sleep. I can't believe just a few years ago, I would have been touched by these stories and thought being TBM was the only way to have a happy family as seen in this video.

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: July 03, 2013 02:43PM

Bloviating for 10 minutes about something made up. All package, no content.

"You need the priesthood to have a happy family. And we have it. Do what we (a bunch of old-fashioned, out-of-touch white guys) say if you want to be happy."

Posted by: xnorth ( )
Date: July 03, 2013 02:52PM

True story.

My cousin, while attending BYU, was contacted to see if she would be interested in appearing in some church films that recreated the new testament. She in no way sought this out. She was confused, and asked what piqued their interest in her. Apparently they needed people who "looked Jewish". She is 100% Caucasian. She declined. She still doesn't know how they found out about her and her "Jewish looks", but luckily she has a sense of humor, and it has become a funny family story.

Posted by: brett ( )
Date: July 03, 2013 03:56PM

I honestly don't know how people stay awake when the these people talk. That GA monotone is the same as a bottle of Nyquil.

Date: July 03, 2013 04:22PM

Seriously. If I'm having trouble sleeping, I'll pull up a GC talk online...out in 2 secs flat.

Posted by: dogeatdog ( )
Date: July 03, 2013 06:03PM

Wow that made me wanna puke.... Heartsell music and that way of talking...! For all their talk about the importance of priesthood, I don't see that it makes any difference. Families outside the church, families inside the church.... The power of the mind....

Posted by: Samson ( )
Date: July 03, 2013 06:47PM

This is precisely the kind of bullsh** that pi**es me off no end. I presume this was shown worldwide and all those TBM wives whose husbands do not attend would have been sitting there feeling hard done by because they do not have the benefit of the priesthood in the home.

If the priesthood was such a big deal, how come no mention of it in early publications.

Drives me mad.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.