Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Annabelle ( )
Date: July 03, 2013 02:56PM

So I was invited to a TBM friend's son's wedding. SInce I live far away -I mailed a gift card (with pretty wedding card) c/o the address provided and wished them well---that was early April. So my question is: Do brides(LDS & other) no longer mail Thank you notes?
This couple is from an upper middle class family (friend's hubby is an MD)
I expect this behavior (no thank you notes) from tacky people---
What is your experience?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: judyblue ( )
Date: July 03, 2013 03:16PM

Of the dozens and dozens (lost count long ago) of TBM weddings I've been to and/or bought gifts for over the years, I have received maybe three or four thank you notes.

Posted by: fidget ( )
Date: July 03, 2013 03:19PM

I really think it depends on how the person was raised, as far as manners go.

I'm 23 married almost five years, and I hand wrote over 200 thank you cards.

I also still write thank you cards to my grandparents for gifts received.

Most of the people I associate with(both LDS and not) have sent thank you card for weddings, baby showers, bridal showers, etc.

It really just depends.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: July 03, 2013 03:22PM

and they can arrive up to two years after a gift is received.

I've never received a thank you from the Mormons I know. That's why I finally stopped sending them gifts. After that I received no more announcements which is fine with me since I barely know them.

Posted by: Carol Y. ( )
Date: July 03, 2013 08:07PM

Posted by: Carol Y. ( )
Date: July 03, 2013 08:08PM

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: July 03, 2013 09:51PM

I'm not kidding.

Posted by: tapirsaddle ( )
Date: July 03, 2013 11:28PM

Better late than never!

Posted by: dit ( )
Date: July 03, 2013 04:00PM

I thought it was a 1 yr rule?

I hand wrote my thank you notes as well. For a wedding, baby shower, I think it's rude not too.

Posted by: lydia ( )
Date: July 03, 2013 04:50PM

agree totally, rude not to

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: July 03, 2013 04:06PM

I actually shocked my TBM ex-husband's family and ward members because thanks to me, they received their first ever thank you notes for the wedding gifts they sent. It's just the way I was raised, and every single note was hand written.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: July 03, 2013 04:37PM

I didnt even recieve a thank you note from a grandson.

Posted by: Anon for this ( )
Date: July 03, 2013 09:00PM

This has always been one way that I refused to be Mormon.

I sent hand written invites to parties at my house. Hand written thank-you notes. I always took hostess gifts even though mormons can't figure out why you brought them something.

I refused to give up good etiquette in the name of mormonism. Maybe I was hoping that it would rub off on a few. Not so much.

I once put together an entire wedding for a girl in my ward. I did the flowers, made a beautiful cake, had the reception in my home complete with sit down dinner. She never said Thank-you, much less sent me a thank-you note. Some people just don't have the ability to express gratitude. Mormons are the worst offenders I know.

Posted by: notmonotloggedin ( )
Date: July 03, 2013 11:28PM

NO thank you notes. Actually I sort of shamed one nephew into it by writing a note and asking if they had gotten the gift I sent. These are people who are fairly well-heeled and think they know it all!

Posted by: lexaprosavedme ( )
Date: July 03, 2013 11:34PM

It's hard to say. I got married five years ago and hand-wrote about 300 thank-you cards (between the shower and reception). I had a family member write what gifts I had received so that I could make it more personal. There were a couple gifts where the card must have fallen off because I didn't know who it was from. One of my very favorite wedding gifts was one that I couldn't find a card. I have always felt bad that I didn't know who gave me that beautiful gift.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.