Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: July 04, 2013 11:23AM

One time... I was tasked to set up chairs in the gym for PH mtg (or, did I take this upon myself? I can't remember). This was due to the way the building was scheduled (Usually PH is in the chapel, Correct?)

So, I looked at the room, looked at the chairs. It was always in the back of my brain that I HATED the 'leaders to peons' way that seating is done at meetings...

I set up the chairs ... in a Circle.

When 'the brethern' came into the room, the looks on their faces were Priceless! It was like they'd just stepped into a Spaceship!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: July 04, 2013 11:43AM

I love chairs in circles - equality. For years we did this in HPG but then, we were put in the chapel. That was the end of going, really, for me. While we sat in a circle we shared our stories. In the chapel we merely had classes. I could endure and even enjoy time when we shared but NOT being taught lies.

Posted by: Infinite Dreams ( )
Date: July 04, 2013 01:05PM

My Nazi seminary teacher always had the chairs laid out in a semi-circle. I guess it was one of the few things he ever did right.

Posted by: heypal ( )
Date: July 04, 2013 01:31PM

No thanks. Chairs in a circle make it hard to 'disappear' in the back.

Posted by: Infinite Dreams ( )
Date: July 04, 2013 01:50PM

I was being sarcastic. He would say that we would all sit in a semi-circle in the so-called "pre-existence" listening to God & Jesus debate against Satan.

Posted by: kokaubeammeup ( )
Date: July 04, 2013 01:34PM

How dare you

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: July 04, 2013 01:36PM

A circle impinges on people's personal space and some do not like it at all. I know I don't. I've been stuck in circles from time to time in classes, and if it's a small group in a class that I chose, I'm more comfortable with it.

I have a very large personal space and I don't like it invaded.

Posted by: Mormon Observer ( )
Date: July 04, 2013 01:40PM

I have a nephew in law who was in a temp job breaking down the chairs from a convention.

Instead of everybody grabbing a chair and standing in line to load one or two chairs on a cart....he organized a bucket line.

He lined the men up in rows and started with each line picked up a chair. Then the man handed the chair to the next man etc. and the last man loaded them in the cart. The chairs were quickly cleared from the room with no random scrambling and running into each other. In fact the room was cleared of two hundred chairs in less than ten minutes. My Nephew in law was promoted to other duties......

Think the priesthood could cooperate and see the bigger picture of working together? Not when they're constantly taught they must have Alpha leaders and submissive others.

The circle....excellant.

Posted by: Fetal Deity ( )
Date: July 04, 2013 07:05PM

Nice story.

I loathe pompousness and love to see it disoriented and deflated--put in its place--if only for a moment.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.