Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: July 09, 2013 04:30PM

I am reading the book (see link below) "Not a Chimp." I'm about finished. The excerpt I pasted here struck me hard when I read it. Basically, it screamed to me a problem in Mormonism. Mormonism encourages black and white, simple, childish moral intuition. Here is a perfect example of it. Instead of helping each other in this struggling group of people in Hong Kong, Mormonism encourages them to pay their tithing. Black and white and simple equation (tithing paying = blessings) instead of a richer moral intuition of figuring out how to help each other instead of a multinational corporation.

"This important truth was evidenced some years ago as a member of the Seventy was on assignment in Hong Kong. He visited a very humble ward that was struggling in many ways, unable to provide for its own needs. As the bishop described their situation, the General Authority felt the impression to have the members pay their tithing. The bishop, knowing their dire circumstances, was concerned about how he could carry out that counsel. He thought about it and decided he would approach some of the most faith-filled members of his ward and ask them to pay their tithing. The next Sunday he went to the Primary. He taught the children about the Lord’s law of tithing and asked if they would be willing to pay tithing on the money they earned. The children said they would. And they did."
https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2011/04/become-as-a-little-child?lang=eng

"You can see both visceral reaction and moral intuition develop in parallel in young children, says Allman. Children have simple tastes - sweet, salty - whereas adults have more complex taste - bitter, tannic. Moral intuitions also start out as simple, polar, black-or-white ‘right or wrong’ feelings and develop shades of grey as we get older. Not only is this reflected in the metabolic activity of the social brain, but the appearance of the spindle cell population in both insula and anterior cingulate has a developmental aspect to it. In humans, the spindle cells do not appear until week 35 of gestation and at birth only 15% of the mature number are present. This sets up the speculation that spindle cell population might be severely truncated either by medical insults during late foetal development or by a badly deprived early childhood—leading to sociopathy later on. Also, spindle cells are more numerous in the right hemisphere, which is specialized for social emotion, and are selectively destroyed in fronto-temporal dementia, which is characterized by difficulties with moral intuition, self-awareness, and bizarre humour."
http://sunsetridgemsbiology.wikispaces.com/file/view/Not+A+Chimp.pdf

Such an insight.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: July 10, 2013 10:41AM

Posted by: WinksWinks ( )
Date: July 10, 2013 12:19PM

That's fascinating! The wiki on spindle neurons actually mentions their importance in regulating cognitive dissonance.

I agree that mormonism specializes in manipulating areas of functioning that seem specific to spindle neurons functions in certain brain areas.

Date: July 10, 2013 02:48PM

Thanks for the Wiki tip WinksWinks. I'll go look it up. Sounds like the morg may have people by their spindles not to mention their cockles.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.