Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: July 10, 2013 02:26PM

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/10/realestate/commercial/mormon-backed-mall-breathes-life-into-salt-lake-city.html?ref=religionandbelief

On a hunt to find out the education of the two contributing authors of this article. Seems like a promotional piece.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Once More ( )
Date: July 10, 2013 02:33PM

The article certainly reads like LDS PR department blather.

Date: July 10, 2013 02:39PM

She's a hired gun for PR.

Either hired by the Mormons or the Mormon PR firm based in NYC.

http://caitlinkelly.com/consulting/

Can't find her education, but if the price is right you don't need to be a Mormon to spin for the Mormons.

The Mormons do have money to spend. They're not spending it on the sick, the hungry, and the downtrodden.

Posted by: pigsinzen ( )
Date: July 10, 2013 05:36PM

Caitlin Kelley is from New York. She is a freelance writer. She married Jose Lopez, a picture editor for the NY Times, in 2011 by an Anglican Priest at St. Andrew on the Lake in Toronto.

Cadence Woodland is an author's assistant to Caitlin Kelley as well as a freelance writer. She graduated from BYU in 2008 with a focus on European Studies.

Date: July 10, 2013 05:40PM

"I can also help you refine and tailor your public relations and marketing messages to cut through the clutter"

Here is what she is offering her clients. I imagine this is something the LDS church wants. I saw a broadcast where some of the Financial Corporations have relocated part of their operations because it is cheap. Maybe the LDS church is one of these institution's clients and they had a conversation with them about a lot of condominiums and office spaces that they would like the manager of their money to occupy and sell to their employees.

This corporation is working its' money for what it can.

Posted by: rationalguy ( )
Date: July 10, 2013 02:43PM

The mall may make commercial sense, but what would Jesus do? TSCC never asks that question about it's business activities. They ask "What would Brigham Young do?"

Date: July 10, 2013 02:59PM

Mormonism is the front for the business of The President of the Corporation of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.

If people want to belong to a charitable organization or a religion they should leave Mormonism and join a superior organization, designed for charity, religion, or both.

Trying to act like they are interested in change from within is silly. It's a cancer on our societies.

Posted by: just a thought ( )
Date: July 10, 2013 03:00PM

I had to re-read this first sentence several times:

"Across the street from Tiffany and other luxury stores at the City Creek Center, the Salt Lake Temple stands as a symbol of the commercial investment of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints."

This sounds exactly right to me. The temple is a symbol of the church's commercial investment rather than a holy place.

I think this is another good quote from Daniel Staffanson:

“In theory, I find nothing wrong with the idea of a religious institution developing the area,” he said. “Churches have a long history of contributing to the civic amenities of their communities.”

“But in practice, I’m very disappointed with the manner in which the L.D.S. church chose to develop the area, the use to which they put it, and what that implies about the church’s priorities,” Mr. Staffanson said. “If they had really been concerned about the local community and ending the blight, they would have built a mixed-income, mixed-use community, focusing on developing local entrepreneurship, community centers and resources, a playground, more like the true walkable urban communities in Europe. That would have truly revitalized the local community, creating more prosperity for all.

“For this huge sum of money to be spent on an edifice for commerce and conspicuous consumption seems at best misguided.”

Posted by: pathos ( )
Date: July 10, 2013 05:44PM

^love this quote, thanks for sharing

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: July 10, 2013 05:51PM

Unless there are some decent thrift stores, you won't see me there. Now, Goodwill Industries and the Salvation Army--they do some real good with their money.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.