Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: July 08, 2013 11:09PM

They were too clever by half, in my opinion. Paul Rolly of the SLTrib seems to agree.

The students had a form where they could put down how they wanted their name read at graduation. Some of the clever little darlings put the mission they were being called to as their middle name, as in "Brian New York Jensen".

Rolly also discusses a similar incident from years ago regarding graduation prayers. The Mormon (and Christian) sense of entitlement can be jaw-dropping sometimes.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/politics/56549655-90/bountiful-bates-graduation-audience.html.csp

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: woodsmoke ( )
Date: July 08, 2013 11:11PM

Omg. They have NO boundaries at all or respect for anybody else. This is completely inappropriate.

Posted by: ladell ( )
Date: July 08, 2013 11:29PM

Wait until they find out how much being on a mission sucks! Bwahahahahah

Posted by: lucky ( )
Date: July 10, 2013 12:38AM

but Gordon Hinckley said that being on an LDS mission was the most fun ever ...... when other people are doing it that is. Gordon wanted to dump his own mission, and it wasn't because it was too much fun, but later he expected young men to go with out any question to peddle LDS BS. What a two faced Jerk!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIkVNWHT-IA

Posted by: T-Bone ( )
Date: July 09, 2013 12:40AM

Love the comments. I thought I was still on RfM for a moment.

I wish everybody could take a good constitutional law class. Some die-hard Christians were in my class, and they finally understood for the first time that it's just not appropriate to force religion into every school event.

Some learned empathy for non-Christians. Yes, it makes other feel left out and it makes others feel like the school is backing religion. Not a fun place to be. Mormons really show their lack of empathy when they say, "Nobody should be offended." What they really mean is, "No Mormon who will be going on a mission will be offended." They are incapable of looking at it from any other point of view. They are still kids. Hopefully, they will be able to see it from other points of view in the future.

One of the biggest school prayer cases was brought by a Mormon family. The Mormon kid did not like the evangelical message in prayers at football games, and the court agreed that he should not have to be subjected to them. When the Mormon family won (they were joined by a Catholic family), Mormons in Utah were outraged. The Mormon and Catholic families had filed the suit anonymously. But Mormons were predictably upset because "they're taking God out of schools."
http://www.mormonstoday.com/000625/N1SchoolPrayer02.shtml

T-Bone

Posted by: T-Bone ( )
Date: July 10, 2013 02:38AM

You want to impress me with where you're going after graduation? Put a f**king Iraq or Afghanistan in there.

How about Jordan Iraq Jorgensen, or Levi Afghanistan Jensen?

What a bunch of pansy ass Mormon kids. Wyatt Japan Knudsen, f##k off!

T-Bone

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2013 02:40AM by T-Bone.

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: July 09, 2013 12:44AM

Sounds about right for Utah.

I attended a public high school graduation in Utah this spring where "Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing" was sung by the high school choir.

Posted by: a nonny mouse ( )
Date: July 10, 2013 02:45PM

Come Thou Fount is not a Mormon hymn, at least. Most traditional choral music is religious, so it's kind of hard to get around that. My Utah choir teacher (who was a member of the Mo Tab) had us sing African American gospel, hava nagila, along with Bach and Handel, all kinds of religious music, not all of it Christian. I know a lot of Utah choir teachers would not make an effort to be sure their music choices were about a broad choral music education, and it might seem just Mormony.

Posted by: schmendrick ( )
Date: July 09, 2013 02:39PM

I dunno, I don't see what's so offensive about it. But then, I'm a nevermo living in nevermo land, so I see it as the equivalent of putting nicknames/aliases in with your name.

Sincerely,

John "Clueless" Doe

Posted by: mlyn627 ( )
Date: July 09, 2013 03:13PM

Sounds typical of Utah! I am so glad I don't call it home anymore.

To me the reason it's offensive is because they are so arrogant. If your just graduating, that's not enough, you aren't among the elite unless your going on a mission! It seems like a way to boost their ego a little more and make others feel inferior.

This is seriously making me ill.

Posted by: schmendrick ( )
Date: July 10, 2013 12:20AM

mlyn627 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> To me the reason it's offensive is because they
> are so arrogant. If your just graduating, that's
> not enough, you aren't among the elite unless your
> going on a mission! It seems like a way to boost
> their ego a little more and make others feel
> inferior.

I guess. Like I said, I have no immersion in Mormon culture whatsoever, so instead of making them look 'superior' or others inferior, this just looks like people advertising cluelessly embarassing information about themselves.

> This is seriously making me ill.

I am sorry you guys feel this way though.

-Sincerely, Joe "Massive Two Inch Dick" Everyman

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: July 09, 2013 03:18PM

As an atheist with great expectations of the First Amendment, I think at the very least equal time should be given any Youtube clip of Christopher Hitchens views on religion. Perhaps equal time should be given to the Rastafarians to pass their sacrament around the graduation celebration.

LDS Inc might then might have a revelation to cease this practice immediately.

Posted by: Outcast ( )
Date: July 09, 2013 03:19PM

Barf!

So immature...if I were one of those seniors I'd say [first name] Stanford! [last name]. Now that would be something to be proud of.

Posted by: ananke ( )
Date: July 10, 2013 12:41AM

This makes me sad because it shows a lack of respect for education. The focus of this event should be marking their academic accomplishment. Instead, they demonstrated where their real interests lie -- and it is obviously NOT with learning!

Posted by: dk ( )
Date: July 10, 2013 12:42AM

Posted by: peacelovemoana ( )
Date: July 10, 2013 02:41AM

I actually just graduated about a month ago up in Cache Valley. One of the speakers talked with such pride about how many of the graduates were going on missions now, and brushed over any actual academic achievements of our graduating class.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: July 10, 2013 07:12AM

Todd 'Brazil' Smith
Herbert 'France' Payne
Brian 'self abuse problem not going anywhere' Jones
Andrew 'secretly gay' Jensen
Peter 'Swizerland...oh...can't go there anymore...so Germany' Bednar

Posted by: Quoth the Raven Nevermo ( )
Date: July 10, 2013 06:54PM

Oh gawd, another "I'm a mormom idiot moment." And, no, they will never learn that the rest of the people in the world think they are inbred, weird jerks. I don't admire them for wasting their time and money on a mission when they should be learning to be an adult.

Posted by: Dennis Moore ( )
Date: July 10, 2013 10:23PM

You'd think these kids were from the "Upper Class Twit of The Year" competition:

Your contestants:

Vivian "Can count up to 4" Smith-Smythe-Smith

Maynard Mozambique James

Donald Oregon Trale

Wendy Chicago Redrum

Nigel "Best friend is a tree" Incubator-Jones

Gervaise "waste paper basket" Brook-Hampster

Oliver "this year's outstanding twit" St. John-Mollusc

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: July 10, 2013 10:30PM

My daughter graduated from Bountiful High School last year and the graduation was held in the old valley music hall which is now some kind of mormon church meeting center or something.
It was totally offensive to have a civic function in that building. I was pissed.

The name thing never happened last year so it must be something new and I hope it doesn't become a trend.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.