Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: woodsmoke ( )
Date: July 13, 2013 05:49PM

Since I was a little kid and I first heard this story, I've done this whenever I was upset. When I get overwhelmed by certain emotions or problems, I go to the nearest bookshelf, think about the problem, close my eyes, open up the book that feels "right," and try to use whatever I find when I open it (the nearest phrase, word, sentence, story, idea, image, etc.) as "advice." I don't place real stock in it, but it's comforting. It's a superstition I've carried on since childhood. The other day I did this in my very large bookshelf at home. I let my fingers skim the shelves until I picked out a book that felt right to me and would help me with my problem and provide an answer immediately (obviously I don't actually believe that, but it helps me for some reason, and it usually gives me a quote or two for some reflection).

...It was the Book of Mormon. I actually laughed out loud. Every TBM I know would have a FIELD DAY. A freaking field day. I think this is how "faith" gets built. If this had been my only experience and on separate occasions I hadn't also pulled out books about sexual positions or psychedelics, PLUS I really really really really wanted to affirm my faith, I probably would have concluded that the BOM was TRUE TRUE TRUE and so was God's holy all-white male-dominated boring-as-fuck church. I would have assigned MAJOR importance to this event and told everyone I knew for fucking ever and my faith would be So. Strong. In. That. Moment! This is what every Institute class felt like to me, retellings of these kinds of stories (and even less impressive ones, if that's possible).

Have you had any of these "faith-affirming" types of experiences when you were trying to continue being TBM?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: destiny ( )
Date: July 13, 2013 06:41PM

Sounds like a sign to me. If I were you I'd be high-tailing it back to the nearest churchofJESUSCHRISToflatterdaysaints as quickly as possible. Glad I'm not you.

Posted by: NoToJoe (unregistered) ( )
Date: July 14, 2013 10:48AM

Better write that tithing check. God won't bless you unless you pay up.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: July 13, 2013 06:51PM

Great!

The Book of Mormon is the most anti-Mormon literature around.

Anagrammy

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: July 13, 2013 06:57PM

And I recommend the 1830, first edition. Copies are available on ebay.

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: July 13, 2013 08:03PM

Yep - I experienced coincidences like this that kept me believing. But eventually I experienced just as many coincidences that went the other way and proved -they were just coincidences.

Here's an interesting one. A few months ago I talked to a friend of an editor at MormonThink who got me in touch with that editor because of something I casually said. I also happened to eat lunch with the founder of MormonThink without knowing it. And I had a friend who was working on MormonThink contact me for my opinion. All 3 of these happened the same week - I did end up being involved in the MormonThink redesign because of the email from my friend - obviously it was MEANT to be...

Posted by: heypal ( )
Date: July 13, 2013 08:03PM

Did your eyes fall on "and it came to pass"?

Posted by: sizterh ( )
Date: July 13, 2013 08:20PM

When I was already out of the church but had not yet removed my name my dad was becoming bishop. I went to that Sunday as a show of support. On the way up the stairs to go inside a bee stung me on the neck for no reason.

I like to think it was a sign.

Posted by: ramonglyde ( )
Date: July 14, 2013 01:02AM

I would take a mulligan and try again, hoping for the "positions" book.

Posted by: spicyspirit ( )
Date: July 14, 2013 04:39AM

I'm really curious as to the answer or advise it gave you!

Date: July 14, 2013 11:21AM

None, it was a joke! I feel like some people are taking me seriously, lol.

Posted by: The Invisible Green Potato ( )
Date: July 14, 2013 11:01AM

I attended a course on creativity, and one technique that I was taught was to randomly select a word, using a deck of cards, and try to build that word into the solution. Having a constraint like that helps your brain think more creatively.

Selecting a random page of a book in search of an answer to a problem is very similar. The book could be made up of random words and it would have the same effect. The solution is not in the book. Your brain finds the solution by doing the mental gymnastics required to link the random words in the book to your problem.

Date: July 14, 2013 11:18AM

Lol, like I said, I don't take it at all seriously. Somebody told me to do it as a kid and it's just a comforting memory.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: July 14, 2013 11:17AM

Sounds like, thanks to you, we have a new acronym to use for the Mormon church instead of "TSCC." Now we can also include "AWMDBAFC." Fair warning, though: While being more colorful, your acronym is longer and may not be adopted soon by all.

Posted by: They don't want me back ( )
Date: July 14, 2013 12:09PM

perspective.

I can find inspiration and direction from many sources.

Once found an interesting perspective in a Dean Koontz novel and from a lady I spoke to briefly at a yard sale.

If God does exist seems true that he works in mysterious ways, I do not think he endorses or any promotes religion.

Posted by: nolongerblind ( )
Date: July 14, 2013 12:22PM

I think our brains our so good recognizing patterns that its very easy for us to connect the dots and see the signs that prove the church is true... as long as we ignore all those other less conveniently placed dots. Those dots were just put there by Satan.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.