Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Infinite Dreams ( )
Date: July 14, 2013 04:34PM

That means that she'll be in my mom's ward when she moved back. I do admit that my sister isn't like most TBMs - she has her hipster thing going on, & is more liberal. But she's an apologetic through & through. I honestly hope that being back in a regular family ward (as opposed to a student family ward, or a mixed YSA & SA singles ward, both of which she's been in back to back for the last 4 1/2 years) will break her down & disillusion her.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: July 14, 2013 05:05PM

Great news, infinite dreams.

This may be the answer you've been looking for. We all know that the youth is very suspicious of the church forbidding members to get information about Mormonism from any but Mormon sources.

And well they should be. Remind her that no other religion that I know of does this. They all have their opposition, but how many valid religions give the faithless such power?

They acknowledge they are afraid of them. Afraid of the truth because people recognize it when they read it and go back and find out from authorized sources that IT IS LITERALLY TRUE.

And then they know the church has lied and --worse yet--doesn't want people to know the truth.

I have a feeling this family member may be that thread that when pulled, unravels the whole sweater.

Anagrammy

Date: July 14, 2013 05:14PM

Well, she isn't a "youth". She's 32.

I wasn't very clear about why I think she would be disillusioned. She's been in some very liberal wards in the last several years. In the ward she's in now they even have a woman as the executive secretary, probably unofficially, under the radar.

We don't live in a particularly conservative area, but there is a lot of backwards thinking by many members in area, even if they are liberal.

Date: July 14, 2013 05:18PM

She lives 75 minutes away. So she doesn't live in the same city as the family does.

Posted by: Cali Sally ( )
Date: July 14, 2013 05:24PM

This post made me think back upon my TBM days when people would ask me to explain the doctrines that didn't make any sense and it would make me have to come up with an answer. I guess the old "I know it's true because I feel the Spirit" forced me to come up with explanations that sounded dumb to me even when I was speaking them. Even when I knew my explanations were just a feeble attempt to make sense of the unexplainable, I did it anyway because, of course, "the church was true".

Let's hope your sister is feeling the same way as she comes up with her apologies. I look back and think how stupid I must have looked to non members.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.