Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Anon4 this ( )
Date: July 15, 2013 08:17PM

And why do people get so obsessed with it? It grabs onto people like a vice or an addiction and they just become completely obsorbed and infatuated with it. I can't have a family get together with relatives without it dominating every conversation. I just don't get it because I was never like this. I don't think it's the greatest thing ever and never really did.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: July 15, 2013 08:21PM

I don't know. I never understood the appeal either. It was always something I had to do and never something I wanted to do. It was a relief when it turned out to be a fraud. But my Mormon family can't get enough. It dominates every conversation, as you said. There are so many better things in life.

Posted by: mostcorrectedbook ( )
Date: July 15, 2013 08:27PM

Probably because they think it is the one true religion of the whole wide world.
They are also so happy and blessed to be saved and sealed forever in endless joy.

I'm not joking. Seriously!

Sad part of it all is that a person like Joe Smith claimed it to be so.

Posted by: Mr. Happy ( )
Date: July 15, 2013 08:37PM

mostcorrectedbook Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Probably because they think it is the one true
> religion of the whole wide world.
> They are also so happy and blessed to be saved and
> sealed forever in endless joy.

Yeah, I was thinking along those lines as well.

I guess for most belonging to "the one true church", being sealed for time and all eternity, the prospect of being a god and creating your own world, and being re-united with your family and loved ones has great appeal.

It became easier for me to leave when I realized I didn't like my family and loved ones enough to be bothered by them for eternity.

Date: July 15, 2013 08:49PM

Yeah. I was actually bummed out really bad when I found out that those things were not necessarily true.
But today. I'm very excited about my life as its very precious. And I don't need to answer to any God( since he doesn't talk to me anyways)
I'm just happy not trusting idiots with imaginations. The power of happiness already lies in all of us. We don't need to pay anyone to dictate our worthiness.

Date: July 15, 2013 08:54PM

Ps, I have a great wife and 4 kids.
Ironically, my wife's tbm family are all crazy and are worst parents, sibling etc. So much drama and unhappiness.
Non mo ism rocks, especially if you plan some good morals to live by.
Doing good for goodness sake.

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: July 15, 2013 08:33PM

I think some people like the idea of belonging to a group that considers itself to be the best and the only ones with the truth. It seems exclusive and makes them feel important. Nevermind that they have to believe in all kinds of crazy things to belong to the group.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: July 15, 2013 08:36PM

Because it's a cult, and somehow cults suck people in.

A big chunk of my family is sucked into it and, although they are great people, I can't stand the thought of them living a lie....

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: July 15, 2013 08:49PM

It's a sad situation. I see it with my family, and I want to help them but it seems insurmountable. My family are great people too.

Posted by: 2+2=4 ( )
Date: July 15, 2013 08:39PM

That is how coercively controlling groups work.

Social influence is incredibly powerful. It has been fascinating for me to read and learn about over the last year.

Take another example. What is so great about MLMs? Nothing. They are a complete waste of time and money for all but those at the very top, but some people get sucked in, become Ambots, or whatever the company is. MLMs use the same psycho-social tactics of influence that any cult-tactic group uses.

These controlling groups can show what is missing in our society, as Philip Zimbardo explores here:

http://drcmann.wordpress.com/2010/09/05/dr-zimbardo-speaks-on-the-problems-of-totalist-groups-cults/

I know modern day Mormonism isn't as extreme as Heaven's Gate...but I myself see all coercively controlling organizations as variations of the same animal.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2013 08:40PM by 2+2=4.

Posted by: left4good ( )
Date: July 15, 2013 08:40PM

Because it is one of the few religions that pretends to have every single answer to every single question, even if that answer is "It will be revealed in the next life." That relieves TBMs of a lot of critical thinking.

Posted by: left4good ( )
Date: July 15, 2013 08:40PM

Because it is one of the few religions that pretends to have every single answer to every single question, even if that answer is "It will be revealed in the next life." That relieves TBMs of a lot of critical thinking.

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: July 15, 2013 08:41PM

You are anon4this. Does your question reference BIC, people in the Moridor, people in absolute poverty meeting American Mormon missionaries in the 60's and 70's?

The Internet has been up and roaring for a little more than 10 years.

BICs are trapped by family.
Moridor can be trapped by community.
Poor and uneducated by the chance to associate with American opportunity.

To whom do you address your question? You're anon, I don't know your reference. The Mormon church has over 180 years of expertise in deception, that's a lot of expertise.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: July 15, 2013 09:07PM

Some people like literature and history. Some like music and the arts. You can find people who are well versed in current events and so make bright conversationalists.

Then there are the Mormons. Dullness attracts the dull.

Posted by: ladell ( )
Date: July 15, 2013 09:10PM

It must be the holy ghost testifying of it's truthfulness.

Posted by: tapirsaddle ( )
Date: July 15, 2013 09:20PM

Why did everyone say the emperor looked smashing when he was stark naked?

Posted by: lucky ( )
Date: July 15, 2013 09:28PM

Secret Handshakes! That's Right ! Secret Handshakes!

It's not stupid! .... the way that it looks...

It's pure majestic splendor!

Oh Oh wait a minute secret handshakes are not supposed to be talked about....... in order to keep them secret.... oh... SORRY!

(STUPID ASS MORmONS !)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2Z3YSRogyo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2013 09:29PM by lucky.

Posted by: Boomer ( )
Date: July 15, 2013 11:56PM

40 years ago, tscc was fun. There were tons of youth activities, road shows, dances, etc. Sunday School and RS lessons could get really doctrinally interesting. Women pretty much ran the RS. There were real lesson in RS. If you ever get a chance, read a copy of the old Relief Society magazine. There was an obvious attempt to educate women, stretch their horizons. It was almost a different church.

Now the joy is gone. So are many of the doctrines that originally drew a lot of us to the religion. All that's left is bland boredom.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.