Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: releve ( )
Date: July 17, 2013 12:56PM

Has anyone written a book about the Whitmers? Also, Is there a biography on Oliver Cowdery?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Cali Sally ( )
Date: July 17, 2013 01:09PM

Don't know the answer to your questions but we have a direct descendent of the original Whitmer (Mormon Royalty) in my former ward and he's a real dirt bag.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: July 17, 2013 08:54PM

My favorite reference to the Whitmers EVER:

"I could not feel more satisfied and at rest," quipped Mark Twain half a century later, "if the entire Whitmer family had testified." (Samuel Clemens, Roughing It)

LOL

Posted by: kenc ( )
Date: July 17, 2013 08:57PM

I thought Lyndon Cook (former CES and BYU prof) wrote a book about the Whitmers; emphasizing their role as witnesses. I'm wrong a lot, but I know he was working on that book in the 1990s. He asked me to research some microfilm at the U of I library in connection with it.

Posted by: Gay Philosopher ( )
Date: July 17, 2013 11:11PM

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL! :-)

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: July 17, 2013 08:56PM

http://www.mrm.org/topics/documents-speeches/mark-twains-review-book-mormon

>THE TESTIMONY OF THREE WITNESSES.

>Be it known unto all nations...

>Some people have to have a world of evidence before they can come anywhere in the neighborhood of believing anything; but for me, when a man tells me that he has “seen the engravings which are upon the plates,” and not only that, but an angel was there at the time, and saw him see them, and probably took his receipt for it, I am very far on the road to conviction, no matter whether I ever heard of that man before or not, and even if I do not know the name of the angel, or his nationality either.

>AND ALSO THE TESTIMONY OF EIGHT WITNESSES.

>Be it known unto all nations, kindreds...

>And when I am far on the road to conviction, and eight men, be they grammatical or otherwise, come forward and tell me that they have seen the plates too; and not only seen those plates but “hefted” them, I am convinced. I could not feel more satisfied and at rest if the entire Whitmer family had testified.

Edit: Apologies to Dagny (Great minds think alike). I was working on this one, and yours slipped in ahead of it...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2013 08:57PM by SL Cabbie.

Date: July 17, 2013 09:23PM

LOL! Yours was much better.

Posted by: releve ( )
Date: July 17, 2013 10:57PM

Thank you, thank you, that was great! I'll have to read Roughing It again as a non believer.

Date: July 17, 2013 11:27PM

For me, everything reads better through the eyes of a non believer. :-)

Once you remove the filter of belief you'll be amazed at the things you will run across in books that you would have never noticed before.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: July 17, 2013 11:30PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.