Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Riverman ( )
Date: March 15, 2011 12:49PM

“I am told that racial slurs and denigrating remarks are sometimes heard among us. I remind you that no [one] who makes disparaging remarks concerning those of another race can consider himself a true disciple of Christ. Nor can he consider himself to be in harmony with the teachings of the Church of Christ. …

“We are members of the Church of our Lord. We have an obligation to Him as well as to ourselves and others.”

President Gordon B. Hinckley (1910–2008), “The Need for Greater Kindness,” Liahona and Ensign, May 2006, 58, 60.

This quote is also in this months Ensign, it is such a farce to deny the racist past of the church 'leaders'.

Below are some quotes compiled on the I4M website, link below

"You see some classes of the human family that are black, uncouth, uncomely, disagreeable and low in their habits, wild, and seemingly deprived of nearly all the blessings of the intelligence that is generally bestowed upon mankind.

The first man that committed the odious crime of killing one of his brethren will be cursed the longest of any one of the children of Adam. Cain slew his brother. Cain might have been killed, and that would have put a termination to that line of human beings.

This was not to be, and the Lord put a mark upon him, which is the flat nose and black skin. Trace mankind down to after the flood, and then another curse is pronounced upon the same race--that they should be the "servant of servants;" and they will be, until that curse is removed."

Brigham Young - Journal of Discourses

"The discussion on civil rights, especially over the last 20 years, has drawn some very sharp lines. It has blinded the thinking of some of our own people, I believe. They have allowed their political affiliations to color their thinking to some extent.I think I have read enough to give you an idea of what the Negro is after."

"He is not just seeking the opportunity of sitting down in a cafe where white people eat. He isn't just trying to ride on the same streetcar or the same Pullman car with white people. It isn't that he just desires to go to the same theater as the white people. From this, and other interviews I have read, it appears that the Negro seeks absorption with the white race. He will not be satisfied until he achieves it by intermarriage."

"That is his objective and we must face it. We must not allow our feelings to carry us away, nor must we feel so sorry for Negroes that we will open our arms and embrace them with everything we have. Remember the little statement that we used to say about sin, 'First we pity, then endure, then embrace'...."

Mark E Peterson

"The Blacks are denied the Priesthood; under no circumstances can they hold this delegation of authority from the Almighty.

The Negroes are not equal with other races where the receipt of certain blessings are concerned, particularly the priesthood and the temple blessings that flow there from, but this inequality is not of man's origin, it is the Lord's doings." (Mormon Doctrine, pp. 526-527).

"Shall I tell you the law of God in regard to the African race? If the white man who belongs to the chosen seed mixes his blood with the seed of Cain, the penalty, under the law of God is death on the spot. This will always be so."

Brigham Young - Journal Of Discourses

http://www.i4m.com/think/comments/mormon-racism.htm

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Truthseeker ( )
Date: March 15, 2011 12:56PM

I find it amusing that while the TSCC tells everyone that " we will suffer for our own sins and not Adam's transgression" they spew the belief that millions/billions of gawd's children have been penalized by the acts of Cain. Of course, they temper this belief by stating these children of gawd were less valiant to begin with.

Posted by: Truthseeker ( )
Date: March 15, 2011 12:57PM

Possibly, instead of "temper" I should have used the word rationalize.

Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: March 15, 2011 01:00PM

So technically the South was in the right during the Civil War with regards to slavery? lmao

Posted by: Jesus Smith ( )
Date: March 15, 2011 01:01PM

I suppose he forgot that sexism is just as ugly.

"Husbands, love and treasure your wives. They are your most precious possessions."

Gordo Hinkster, April GC 2007

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: March 15, 2011 05:52PM

Well of course the current Church isn't racist at all...

Quote from the current lesson manual being used today to teach the Church's 12 to 17 year old boys:
“We recommend that people marry those who are of the same racial background generally, and of somewhat the same economic and social and educational background (some of those are not an absolute necessity, but preferred), and above all, the same religious background, without question”
Aaronic Priesthood lesson manual 2011. 31-Choosing An Eternal Companion.

Hmmm...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.