Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: July 27, 2013 01:45PM

Supposedly there is a line in the Salt Lake temple marking where the flood waters will rise to, during the apocalyptic events of the last days. I've heard this myth from several people - some of whom claim it's inside, some say it's in the granite outside, some claim to have actually seen this line prophesying the coming flood. Some think the water will come from an inland tsunami after an earthquake under the Great Salt Lake - others think earthquakes will open up springs and water will rise from the earth or descend from the Wasatch.

So what is it? Where is it? When did this rumor start? Has anyone had it explained to them? Everyone I know that says they've heard of it doesn't seem able to give specifics. Yet they are so SURE it's true. My mom is really on about this right now but I'm sure it's nonsense. Why wouldn't God just build his temple somewhere safe, rather than tell in advance how and where he's going to destroy it some day? Crazy Mormon rumor mill. Can you all tell me anything?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: pewsitter ( )
Date: July 27, 2013 02:15PM

It is right next to the shafts that were the exact size needed for the elevators.

Date: July 27, 2013 04:00PM

lol - at least elevators already happened when the temple was built. This so-called flood is still to be feared (sarcastically trembling).

Posted by: oldklunker ( )
Date: July 27, 2013 04:21PM

Don't remember seeing and lines inside or outside. Never heard this one.

Posted by: Senoritalamanita ( )
Date: July 27, 2013 04:32PM

The church coffers have to reach a certain jello mark before an actual flood in the temple is permitted.

Posted by: JohnStockton12 ( )
Date: July 27, 2013 04:39PM

My plumbing instructor works for the church. He took us below the salt lake temple the other day. There are a ton of tunnels dug out beneath temple square. While I was under the temple I said f@ck you Joseph and Brigham under my breath. There is copper drain pipe below that building that is worth a sh!t ton. If there was a flood. The water would flood them for sure!

Posted by: Senoritalamanita ( )
Date: July 27, 2013 04:43PM

Okay all you wack-a-doodle copper thieves out there! Copper alert! Copper alert! Time to steal the copper drain pipe from the Mormon Temple.

Posted by: Ragnar ( )
Date: July 27, 2013 04:39PM

I grew up in SLC (50s and 60s), I went through the SL temple (late 1970s), had an extreme TBM wife, and I've never heard of that claim or myth. It must be something new.

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: July 27, 2013 04:59PM

it is amazing at an elevation of 4200 feet that the flood line falls within the building height. I guess Denver has nothing to worry about.

Trying to give facts is always a religion killer. And, once again, the internet is where religions come to die.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2013 05:00PM by deco.

Date: July 28, 2013 01:11AM

I've actually heard this from a number of people - I don't think it's new. In fact, I thought we discussed this a while back on this board but I didn't pay any attention at the time because it was such a ridiculous Faith Building Rumor. I thought it was something to do with the different shades of granite used in building the temple - after a certain point they had to switch to a different quarry and the granite is lighter, giving an impression in certain places that is similar to water darkening the lower part. Hence the beginning of a conspiracy theory. But my mom says her (admittedly crazy fanatical) Mormon friend said a line was shown to her inside the temple. But for some reason, this friend didn't know much more about it. It's also mentioned in some end-of-days/prophecy book my mom is reading and the story from her friend just confirmed that the info in the book is true, in Mom's opinion. It sounds like nonsense to me but I'd a little more info about it to discuss with Mom.

Posted by: Ragnar ( )
Date: July 28, 2013 08:05AM

Just tell her that "it's not doctrine" and dismiss whatever she says about it - it's not important for her salvation.

Posted by: not logged in (usually Duffy) ( )
Date: July 28, 2013 09:49AM

Maybe these people are confusing the Salt Lake Temple with the Washington Monument.

The Washington Monument definitely has a change in color about 1/3 of the way up from the ground. Many people erroneously attribute this to a supposed flood in Washington, DC that discolored the marble. Actually the construction was halted at that point because of money problems and the Civil War and when they were able to resume construction, they couldn't get marble to match the base.

Or maybe they are thinking about how the prehistoric Lake Bonneville used to be so much larger than the Great Salt Lake is now, that the temple, if it had been built at that time, would've been underwater.

Posted by: MOI ( )
Date: July 28, 2013 10:29AM

There should be a 20 foot high mark on the ugly stake center in Raymond, Alberta that shows how high the horse shit gets in that cowboy hick town. LOL! Oh Raymond, thou foul and stinky beast.

Posted by: flybynight not logged in ( )
Date: July 28, 2013 11:00AM

Never heard this one before, and have been in the SL temple a bunch of times.

What I have heard is the BY prophecy that the Salt Lake Temple will stand for a thousand years AFTER the Second Coming and the Apocalypse.

There was a big flood in Utah in the mid-1980s, so maybe that's when the rumor started.

It's just silly, though. What, is there an inscription carved in the wall that says, "Apocalyptic flood waters will stop HERE"? How do these people even know WHICH line on the wall is THE line?

Maybe it's the high water mark left from all the old geezers who missed the urinals in the men's bathroom.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.